Using the stairs for exercise

This is one simple exercise that I learned from my former boss in the office. Do not use the elevator when going up to our office on the 4th floor and likewise in going down. That will give you more energy and taper your body of fats. Our house has a short stairs so what I do is to get the exercise in the office stairs. Sometimes I even climb up to the 5th floor and then go down 1 more floor as if I made a mistake but I was doing that deliberately for the exercise.

This is something I try and do as well! It’s amazing how much incidental exercise can add up. Simple things like walking more instead of driving can also help!

I had learned about this when I was still researching about little things to do to reduce my weight.Taking the stairs instead of the elevator is very helpful,same with parking one car miles away to walk to a mall and shopping without a cart,just move around with your shopping bag to burn away some calories. All these are form of exercising and it help add up pretty quick to burn calories and reduce weight.

I've been doing this. Our pantry in the office is on the 4th floor and I and my friends take the stairs. It's one form of exercise that we do regularly. It is also refreshing and relaxing as we chat as compared to taking the escalator where we are jampacked with other people.

You are right as most of the people that I know who are older always make use of the stairs to exercise. It will make them look agile and fit to carry out the activities of the day without any form of tiredness.

I agree with this as a cardio and leg exercise. I too prefer to use the stairs than the elevator if I will be going up a for a couple more floors and heading my way back down as well. Sometimes simple things does matter and may do great things for our body. We just need to be careful though in using the stairs because we might stumble and fall.

I agree that climbing the stairs is one of the best exercises that you can take. However I think that it depends on how long and how frequently you are doing it. Most exercises has to be carried out for a certain period and intensity to be effective. Climbing the stairs once or twice a day is not going to be that effective in my opinion. People actually use their stairs to exercise e.g going up and down the stairs for 30 minutes each day as part of their cardio routine.

I agree that climbing the stairs is one of the best exercises that you can take. However I think that it depends on how long and how frequently you are doing it. Most exercises has to be carried out for a certain period and intensity to be effective. Climbing the stairs once or twice a day is not going to be that effective in my opinion. People actually use their stairs to exercise e.g going up and down the stairs for 30 minutes each day as part of their cardio routine.

This is exactly right, in my opinion. I agree with what Corie is saying that it is great to take the stairs as a way to get extra steps in when you are working at a desk all day and have no good way to exercise. Parking out further away in the parking lot is helpful as well, and I always try to do that unless the weather is inclement.
However, as Jamison has pointed out, unless you are doing this for a protracted time period specifically as part of an exercise routine, it is not going to burn up a lot of calories, or firm up your muscles. We all need to walk when we can , but we also need an actual time when we spend it exercising our bodies if it is to make any real difference.

I also do it at school before. My department is in 6 floor so I will use stairs instead of elevator. I usually do it whenever I wasn't able to jog in the morning. I also dragged my friends with me. The more the merrier. I notice doing that my legs becomes stronger. During the first day that I did that, my legs are so stiff as if I can't walk the second day. But I continue it everyday. Until, my legs get used to it. It's a very easy yet clever exercise we can have.

It strengthens the legs and calves and also works on your abs. It would also give you a good sweat. I do agree that always using the stairs is healthy if your on a desk job.

I am used to using stairs more frequently. Sometimes it may be due to the need to exercise but on many occasions it is due to the circumstances. Where I live it is rare to find residential buildings having elevators. Some of these buildings go up to 8 floors and when you visit someone there you have to use the stairs. I once lived on the 4th floor of a certain building and my journey to and from the house was enough gym.

This is actually one of the things that has always been advised by doctors because it really does work. Just putting in extra steps a day and basically just choosing the more active option can make a big difference if you consider the amount of work you would have put in after a month or even a year. I've also heard of similar advice such as just biking or walking instead of taking the car if you're only going a short distance.

That's a nice way to burn fats. It also help us strengthen our legs. But I think doing this when we are in our office is a little bit uncomfortable because we can sweet and our body will smell specially for those who sweet a lot even doing little work. Maybe doing it at home is a good idea just be careful going up and down.

This is one simple exercise that I learned from my former boss in the office. Do not use the elevator when going up to our office on the 4th floor and likewise in going down. That will give you more energy and taper your body of fats. Our house has a short stairs so what I do is to get the exercise in the office stairs. Sometimes I even climb up to the 5th floor and then go down 1 more floor as if I made a mistake but I was doing that deliberately for the exercise.
Using the stairs as an exercise is one very clever example. I do not usually take the stairs instead I'd rather use the escalator or the elevator. You have given me a good idea to add to my routines. By the way, my routines are yoga ang planking. I am guilty that there times that I tend to forget to exercise. And I usually remember when I am in the office already! I definitely can do yoga nor planking at the office. That would be very funny especially in my office uniform. Whenever I have not done a routine for the day, taking the stairs would be perfect.

This is one simple exercise that I learned from my former boss in the office. Do not use the elevator when going up to our office on the 4th floor and likewise in going down. ....

I didn't learn from my boss. I learned it from reading a magazine. I used to read a lot of magazines for health and beauty tips. When I worked in places that had stairs I would avoid the elevators. Now we live in apartments and we are on the second level. I can't avoid using the stairs as there are no elevators. But I'm fine with it. It's my way of getting exercise.

Using the stairs instead of the elevator is definitely a good workout. Everyday, I choose to use the stairs until the 10th floor and it helped me tone my leg and thigh muscles. It's a good activity to start the day so I advise everyone not to always use the elevator if possible.

Totally works. I experienced this first hand. I always try to take the stairs when I am not in a hurry going the office. It is also a very convenient exercise since you can do this while going to work. Instead of taking an elevator, you should start taking the stairs to boost health and promote a fit body.

I couldn't agree more. Using the stairs to exercise is something that everyone should appreciate. It is economical and effective as well. You can help on saving the energy used by elevators and on the same time you are losing fats as you climb up the stairs. It may be tiring at first, but you'll get used to it and see results.

Sometimes, we should just use our initiative and creativity to solve our daily problems in life. I think stairs are effective instrument to lose weight. It is not just used to allow us to go to our chosen destination but it could also help us to burn calories. Walking through stairs required some efforts, therefore, without knowing, you are already burning your calories and loose weight. It is more effective if you will do it as fast as you can, and as frequent as possible. It is actually a form of cardiovascular exercise which is good for our heart and flow of our blood.

Using the stairs instead of the elevator is definitely a good workout. Everyday, I choose to use the stairs until the 10th floor and it helped me tone my leg and thigh muscles. It's a good activity to start the day so I advise everyone not to always use the elevator if possible.
Have you ever had an event where you had to do several exercises on the stairs as you have fun climbing up and down. I can alternate between running up or down and skipping some of the steps just to add some spice onto it.