Water Retention with Omad

I seem to be retaining water lately as the scale is really fluctuating. I go way up sometimes and then come down a lot. Does anyone have some tips for me to help with water retention?

Drink more water, it helps to flush out your system if you had a high sodium or carby meal.

My weight swings have been pretty high even in the last few days when I feel like I have been drinking more water. How much water should I be at least drinking daily?

I seem to be retaining water lately as the scale is really fluctuating. I go way up sometimes and then come down a lot. Does anyone have some tips for me to help with water retention?

I would definitely try to increase protein intake, minimize salt, and drink more water than you are drinking. This should help with your water retention.

Yes, I've noticed more water retention but I also eat my OMAD at dinner right before bed so I am probably not drinking enough water afterward as I sometimes wake up through the night very thirsty.

Your statement about weight swing is confusing because I assume that you are on OMAD. Do you really think that the water retention is the cause of your weight fluctuation? If it is then I guess you have to get a urinalysis. I have kidney stones and sometimes I notice the weight differences every morning. But that was before OMAD. The fasting period of OMAD should stabilize your weight.

I get the feeling that your water retention is related to whatever you’ve been eating, possibly a high sodium/high carb diet. OMAD is actually supposed to help drastically reduce water weight (it’s done so for me and many others) so I’m thinking there are some other factors at work here. Thankfully there’s some general advice for reducing water retention.

For one thing, make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Getting proper, rejuvenating sleep helps your body manage fluid and sodium levels. If you’re stressed out, try to reduce stress by meditating or relaxing more. Stress increases cortisol and ADH which affect your body’s water balance.

Manage your magnesium and sodium levels. Too little or too much sodium is going to throw your body’s water balance out of whack (I recommend between 2,500mg to 4,000mg daily) and optimal magnesium levels help regulate hydration.

Lastly, exercise and manage how much water you drink. Sweating helps your body excrete excess water, and over/under hydrating can impact your body’s natural water balance as well.

Interesting discussion. I agree that you should drink more water when you are on OMAD. It helps with the hunger pangs. I know you are supposed to drink upto 3 liters of water in a day. Sometimes I do that, however sometimes I find that I'm forcing myself so I don't I just drink whatever my body needs. Water retention maybe caused because you are having alot of salt or your body is reacting some kind of way to salt. I would see a doctor, you just never know.

You might be drinking to much water or cold water. Try drinking green tea or turmeric and ginger tea, this would normalize things up. Also when drinking water it's best to have it a bit hot or warm. This helps in flushing out your system.