How OMAD helps encourage autophagy during fasting.

Autophagy literally means “self-eating”, and what it is exactly, is how the body replaces old and damaged cells in our body with brand new and better functioning cells.
The benefits of autophagy are astounding !
When we replace the old cells with new ones, we help to extend our life span potential. Not only that, but since it is anti-aging, it also helps us to not only feel younger; but also to look younger and more radiant.

Another fantastic benefit is that when we are fasting at night, and our body is producing glucagon, our insulin goes down.
When insulin goes down and glucagon goes up, we also produce HGH (human growth hormone), which helps to trigger the cell rejuvenation not only in our body, but also in our brains.
Experiments with mice showed that the mice lived several times as long when they were only fed once a day, and also they did not develop dementia as soon as the mice that were free-fed their food.
This is only with mice, of course; but it certainly suggests that eating once a day can help protect us from diseases such as Alzheimer’s, and also that we can hope to extend our life expectancy.

For more information, here is a great (easy to understand) article about autophagy and how it works in conjunction with having one meal a day.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophag

This is a very interesting subject particularly because it has something to do with longevity. There are people who are close to us that we got to know the real effect of Alzheimer’s disease. It is one bad disease that robs the person of his mind. I believe that when our cells are replaced by new ones then our body is rejuvenated and like brand new. I hope that those findings are true with the effect against Alzheimer’s disease and longevity.

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
Autophagy is truly one of the greatest benefits of eating one meal a day. I talk about it extensively in my book. The truly exciting thing about autophagy is the young and extensive research that is still being done today. Research as mentioned above that includes Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s and how autophagy defects play a role. Autophagy was discovered in the 1960's, but it's fundamentals only came to light in 2016 when a researcher named Yoshinori Ohsumi won the nobel peace prize for his findings.

Without Yoshinori Ohsumi's findings, the whole field of autophagy would not exist at all. His work has opened up and inspired hundreds of researchers around the world to study further into his findings.

It will certainly be exciting to see what deeper research will unveil in the future.

I was reading another article about autophagy today, written by Pete Kaye, who is part of Dr. Jason Fung’s team. What he was explaining is very interesting, as it refers to what happens with our loose skin when we lose weight.
He explains that when a person has the bariatric surgery and loses a lot of weight fast, then they often also need surgery to remove the lose folds of skin that remain after the fat cells are gone.
With an OMAD eating plan, you lose the weight slower, plus when you are fasting during the night, and you are in autophagy, then your body itself removes the unnecessary skin, so you don’t end up afterwards with big saggy skin folds.

I can feel that when I lie in bed at night and feel the fat being less on my stomach and abdomen, there is really not any loose skin, just less fat and the skin around it is still firm. My arms were saggy at first, but they seem to be losing that hanging skin under there, too; so I think that the autophagy phase at night is really helping.

Here is an excerpt from the article that I was reading, for further explanation of how autophagy helps with extra skin folds:

“What is autophagy? It’s a cellular process that is responsible for preparing broken down proteins for reuse in more broken down forms. So in essence, autophagy is a process that rescues junky broken down cells for reuse and prepares them for programmed destruction. That process of killing off the damaged cells is called apoptosis. It is one of many cell killing pathways and between autophagy and apoptosis, we have processes that can “eat up” damaged cells, precancerous cells and the like.
So not only does fasting stimulate autophagy, but it also stimulates apoptosis. But why is this important?
When we saw the show, “My 600 Pound Life,” we saw super obese patients prepare for bariatric surgeries. After the surgery they almost always lost massive amounts of weight. But once they lost their stored fats, they were left with loose and hanging skin that needed to be surgically removed.

But what were these folds of skin made of?
It looked like fat, but it was not.
It was connective tissue and accumulations of protein that had been stored away instead of being properly utilized for energy (catabolized). Had the bariatric surgery patients fasted and lost the weight slowly instead of all at once, they might have had time to turn on autophagy and apoptosis which would have potentially whittled away these defective excess protein deposits.
Dr. Fung has told us of the hundreds of patients in his clinic, he has never referred even one out for excess skin removal surgery.”