Hello and need electrolyte advise!

Hi there! I'm on day 2 of my OMAD program. I'm 5'2 and 188 pounds. Yesterday was easier than I thought but this morning I started to feel back and chest paint. Realized I had not urinated much (TMI, sorry) and that's a bad sign with all the water I had been drinking! I grabbed a bottle of pedyalite that I had on hand and felt great within minutes. The rest of the day I felt fine and not dealing with the cravings of day 1. I am wondering if this is due to the electrolyte drink? Did I break my fast? Are there alternatives to pedyalite I should stick to or is this fine? I clearly need them. I'm a full-time mom and caregiver but developed the unhealthy habit of grazing (to the point I didn't realize I popped something in my mouth to eat till it was too late... ).

Any tips for plus size ladies is appreciated. I'm doing this to lose weight for health (asthma & possible sleep apnea from the extra blubber).

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there! I'm on day 2 of my OMAD program. I'm 5'2 and 188 pounds. Yesterday was easier than I thought but this morning I started to feel back and chest paint. Realized I had not urinated much (TMI, sorry) and that's a bad sign with all the water I had been drinking! I grabbed a bottle of pedyalite that I had on hand and felt great within minutes. The rest of the day I felt fine and not dealing with the cravings of day 1. I am wondering if this is due to the electrolyte drink? Did I break my fast? Are there alternatives to pedyalite I should stick to or is this fine? I clearly need them. I'm a full-time mom and caregiver but developed the unhealthy habit of grazing (to the point I didn't realize I popped something in my mouth to eat till it was too late... ).

Any tips for plus size ladies is appreciated. I'm doing this to lose weight for health (asthma & possible sleep apnea from the extra blubber).

Hi 1madBird. Drinking a lot of water without much urination can be a sign of many things. It can also mean your dehydrated. But, it can also mean much more serious issues. Here is the link to a chart to check your output to see if you may be dehydrated http://bit.ly/2FzflVR
If this persists after a week, I would seek medical attention.

Pedialyte will break your fast. The issue with Pedialyte is dextrose while fasting. Which is a sugar.

Here are some good ways to reach your electrolyte requirements:

• Sodium: Broth or bouillon, Pickle juice, Sodium pills.
  • Potassium: Raw spinach, Avocado, Mushrooms, Salmon, Steak, Pork loin, Lite Salt.
  • Magnesium: Raw spinach, Avocado, Magnesium Citrate or slow release Magnesium for optimum absorption.
Many people won't reach these totals with only food, but here are some other ways to ingest electrolytes:

• Drink 1 or 2 cups of bouillon or broth daily (I prefer a Salty Bone Broth)
  • Measure salt and/or salt substitute to add to your one meal.
  • Take a multivitamin containing magnesium and/or potassium
  • Take a magnesium supplement.
  • Potassium supplements in capsule/tablet form

Thank you. I'm bummed about the pediatric but I'll give myself a pass and just pat myself on the back for not doing worse...
I have plenty of salty broth so I'll try that and the other tips as of now.

I like smartwater. I don't drink it often because frankly I don't want to pay that much for water, but I do keep a couple of bottles in the fridge just in case. It perks me up a bit if I get fatigued in the afternoons.