Introduction and Chronicle of my Progress

Introduction:

First off I guess a brief introduction is in order. My name is Troy and I am a 42 year old father of three who wants to see his kids graduate from college. I am vastly overweight at 460 pounds and just want to be off this roller coaster and to live a healthy life. I have been ping ponging through multiple diets since my early 20s. I wish I could go back and smack my younger self upside the head before I even started this ride because the weight I was when I first started "dieting" is my current goal weight. Throughout the years my weight gradually increased from 200 pounds to almost 480 this past fall. I started doing keto with a dab of 16:8 fasting at that time and had some success with it until I could no longer handle the restrictions and fell off the wagon hard. went down to 425 and am now back up to 460. The last few months I joined WW with my girlfriend who is having success on the program and with the exception of the first week I have been losing and gaining the same 5 pounds since I started. I am still planning on going to the weekly meeting with her for support and I will still use their app as a food tracker, just going to slightly adapt their model and eat my points/calories in the two hour window instead of the whole day.

How I started fasting:

Last week after my most recent bounce back of another 5 pounds I started to do some self reflection on what I was doing and why it was not working for me. I realized that I was eating a lot of the time just to fill out my points or when I was bored, depressed etc and not when I was hungry. A very common story which I assume most of us can relate. So I came up with a Plan. it came down to one simple word. Why? why am I eating this? and if the answer was not that I was truly hungry and my body needed sustenance I would not eat it. I started giving myself 15 to 30 minutes to reflect on my eating and if I was still hungry I would eat. This quickly ended up going back to me intermittent fasting. With my current graveyard shift and schedule I mostly ate in a two hour window. I am now on day 3 of a 22:2 eating schedule.

Why am I here?

I like to journal and connect with people and have in the past have shared my posts on Facebook or a blog but have come to realize when it comes to fasting there is a lot of negativity from the general populace that I just did not want to subject myself to so I searched for a community of like minded individuals where I could receive and give support and I ended up here. Look forward to getting to know everyone.

Journal entry #1 Day 3 - June 20

Weight 460.7 (as of Jun 15 )
Mood: Optimistic and a little bit tired

No hunger urges as of yet. I have been fighting the urge to have an energy drink. I have weaned myself of them as I am worried of the affects of the sweeteners on my insulin resistance. I had a black coffee instead . I am not sure I will ever get use to the taste of it.

Welcome to the forums @sabrath! Thanks so much for sharing your story. I used to be addicted to energy drinks myself as I know as well how addicting they can be. Especially for people who work the night shift. Do you like tea? I have found tea to be a good drink for me instead of coffee at times.

Welcome to the forums @sabrath! Thanks so much for sharing your story. I used to be addicted to energy drinks myself as I know as well how addicting they can be. Especially for people who work the night shift. Do you like tea? I have found tea to be a good drink for me instead of coffee at times.

Thanks for the welcome @Jackie. I love tea. green tea is my favorite followed closely by chocolate chai. I have 5 different teas at my desk at work.

Last edited:
Welcome @sabrath! Looking forward to reading your journal. You are right about the negativity in the fasting world. So many people with negative views, opinions, and always wanting to give their 2 cents. Some people argue just to argue about something related to fasting. I find it refreshing with a lot of the people here. I'm a green tea drinker as well. Some days I wouldn't make it without my green tea:)

Welcome @sabrath! Looking forward to reading your journal. You are right about the negativity in the fasting world. So many people with negative views, opinions, and always wanting to give their 2 cents. Some people argue just to argue about something related to fasting. I find it refreshing with a lot of the people here. I'm a green tea drinker as well. Some days I wouldn't make it without my green tea:)
@Jamie Middleton I agree, everybody has their 2 cents. I am just going to do what I do and not tell anyone and maybe tell them if they ask after they see my progress.

Journal entry #2 Day 4 - June 21

Starting Weight:
463.7 (April 27, 2019)
Starting Weight for OMAD: 460.7 (June 18, 2019 )
Current Weight: 460.7
Last Weekly Loss: --
Total Loss: 3 pounds
Mood: tired and frustrated ( found out I have to work through my weekend, ugg )

Food Log:
Pizza - 2 slices
Garlic fingers - 3 fingers
donair dipping sauce
sauteed peppers&spinach
beer - 1 can
coconut square

I would call today a success even though I ate dirty today. I had some family issues coupled with finding out I have no days off this weekend and I did not turn to food as a comfort and kept my eating window intact. The kids voted to have pizza for supper so we had pizza, the one thing I love about this way of eating compared to when I was on keto it allows you to live life with your family without a lot of extra planning/cooking and dinners making suppers a lot less stressful, I find I do not have to obsess about what I am eating day in and day out like I was. I still like to try and eat a balanced meal when I can so for tonight to balance out the meal I made some sauteed peppers and spinach.

As I sit here now hours later I am thinking I should have had a good protein for supper. Need something that digests slowly so hunger thoughts do not start creeping in mid shift.

Tomorrow morning is our weekly weigh in. After three and a half days of fasting I am hoping to see a drop in weight though not as important as consistency of the plan I am really getting tired of kicking around the same 5 pounds ( I have been stuck between 460 and 455 for almost 2 months now). I am determined to make this work and get healthy but it would be nice to have some measurable progress soon.

Last edited:
Journal entry #3 Day 5 - June 22

Starting Weight:
463.7 (April 27, 2019)
Current Weight: 451.0 pounds
Last Weekly Loss: 9.7 Pounds
Total Loss: 12.7 Pounds
Mood: relieved and happy plateau has broken

Food Log:

Pepperoni
Spaghetti
Bread 3 slices
Dish of Ice Cream
diet soda
water melon

Finally I can take that 5 pounds I have been kicking around for the last seven weeks and throw it to the curb. weighing day has come and gone and with it almost ten pounds. After the last few months of just regular calorie restrictive dieting and the ease of which I have adapted to intermittent fasting it is easy to tell that this is the path for me. I am eating the same calories I would have been eating throughout the day but I am getting more enjoyment from the food I eat. Also regular calorie restriction dieting gives me more opportunities to binge and overeat which has been happening more often than not the last few months.

New goal for the upcoming week incorporate some activity into my daily routine by taking the dog for a long walk at least 3 days.

Journal entry #4 Day 6 - June 23

Starting Weight:
463.7 (April 27, 2019)
Current Weight: 451.0 pounds (June 22, 2018)
Mood: Motivated

Food Log:
Blood Sausage
2 slices low sugar bread
Half Chicken
Kale Caesar Salad
apple crisp with dollop of ice cream

Activity Log
Walked the dog - 1km

Another day has come and gone and overall it was a good day. When I first woke up I grabbed the dog and headed out for a walk so we could get some exercise in while still in the fat burning zone of my fast (20 hours in). I only walked 1 km due to my lack of conditioning and endurance as well as max's constant pulling me in different directions. I am still happy with 1k. It is all about the baby steps. 1 day out 3 for my activity goal complete.

got back home and had some blood sausage that needed to be consumed before it went bad. We then went out for supper and I got Chicken and salad.

One good note is that I once again use my home scale. It was a source of embarrassment for me when I could no longer use a scale than measured up to 450 pounds. I remember the depression i felt when i first stood on that scale a few months ago and got the err error message.

On to tomorrow where hopefully I can continue this forward momentum.

@sabrath I know what you mean about the home scale making you feel embarrassed. I avoided my home scale for a long time. I tried to avoid a lot of things that reminded me of my weight. But, in the end all I was doing was avoiding the fact that I needed to do something about it. Love reading your journal entries! Keep it up!

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
@Jamie Middleton I agree, everybody has their 2 cents. I am just going to do what I do and not tell anyone and maybe tell them if they ask after they see my progress.

A lot of times this can be the best route to take with omad. There will always be skeptical people with omad, but those same people will be the first ones knocking on your door asking you how you're doing it. The true supporters will always be there for you no matter what.

Journal entry #5 Days 7-8 - June 24-25

Starting Weight:
463.7 (April 27, 2019)
Mood: Pensive

Food Log June 24 :

Mashed Potatoes
Pork Chops
Corn
Peas
Gravy
apple crisp

Food Log June 25 :
pepperoni
scrambled eggs with mushrooms/cheese
steak with spinach
apple crisp ( thank god this is finally gone, mental note next time i get dessert make sure it is something kids like so it goes the first day )
blueberry vodka

Had a day of work so I went awol from my phone the last few days and though I tracked I did not journal anything, to be honest did not to much of anything other than a few chores around the house. I have a few family issues that have been weighing heavy on my mind and just took my one day off to try and relax and vegetate a little bit.

Today I broke my fast at 14 hours. reason was that I was home in the house all day and not busy and with kids home from school I was making food during the day. combination was too much so I broke it early with some scrambled eggs and had steak for supper. I did snack on some pepperoni during the day and to be honest snacked a little to much on this pepperoni. with how easy it is to overeat I may just have to get rid of it or make a few pizzas for the family so it goes away.

After calculating my food intake for the day I am still within a 2500-3000 calorie window (could be off due to not measuring pepperoni or cheese) for a 5 hour window and that is still a bit below my bmr for the day so all in all the day could have been a whole lot worse.

Goal for tomorrow is to get a walk in and have at least a 22 hr fasting window.

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
I have a few family issues that have been weighing heavy on my mind and just took my one day off to try and relax and vegetate a little bit.

Excellent job on handling this. I always tell people that your plan will seldom ever go as planned. We all live in the real world and face the same problems, issues, and many other stressors that affect our everyday lives. The most important thing is that you recognized the issue, dealt with it in your own way, and didn't allow it to completely sidetrack you from what you want to accomplish.

Excellent job on handling this. I always tell people that your plan will seldom ever go as planned. We all live in the real world and face the same problems, issues, and many other stressors that affect our everyday lives. The most important thing is that you recognized the issue, dealt with it in your own way, and didn't allow it to completely sidetrack you from what you want to accomplish.

Thanks, cant say I am an expert in dealing with this. There is a reason I am 450 pounds. much bad decision and much emotional eating and many yo yo diets have led me to where I am but I am trying and so far doing well.

Journal entry #6 Days 9 - June 26

Starting Weight:
463.7 (April 27, 2019)
Mood: optimistic

Food Log June 26 :

Cauliflower crust pizza with tomatoes, cheese, arugula and bacon
Cesar salad
baquette
spinach dip
mini donuts (2)
two scoops of ice cream

First off I did not complete my activity goal, it is so easy to make excuses not to go. I can list off a the reasons I told myself I did not go but what it comes down to was it was just excuses. I will hope to do better in that regard tomorrow.

on the food front we went out to eat to east side marios and I got a Cesar salad and a cauliflower crust pizza and we shared a spinach dip. It was quite tasty and I did not feel bloated as I would have if I went the usual pasta route.

Journal entry #7 Day 10 - June 27 2019

Starting Weight:
463.7 (April 27, 2019)
Mood: optimistic

Food Log June 27 :
Omelette with cheese, spinach, peppers and mushrooms
One donut
PB + J Sandwich
Milk

Activity Log: 30 mins walking

Knowing it will be a busy day at home I walked 30 min during my lunch break which I no longer use for food.
Was in the mood for breakfast today so just has my one meal of the day be breakfast foods instead of the typical dinner fare. though was still a little hungry come the end of my window and had a PB&J and a glass of milk to curb my hunger.

Walking on your lunch break seems like a great plan, since you are not going to be eating along with everyone else,@sabrath , as well as giving you more exercise.
I have noticed that when I am not thinking about food, I don’t seem to feel hungry, but when I think about eating, then my stomach starts growling, even when I don’t want to eat anything yet. If I can distract myself to thinking about something else, then the tummy rumbling disappears, too.

Walking on your lunch break seems like a great plan, since you are not going to be eating along with everyone else,@sabrath , as well as giving you more exercise.
I have noticed that when I am not thinking about food, I don’t seem to feel hungry, but when I think about eating, then my stomach starts growling, even when I don’t want to eat anything yet. If I can distract myself to thinking about something else, then the tummy rumbling disappears, too.
@Happyflowerlady this is so true, it is when I am home alone on the couch as compared to being at work I have a hard time not binge eating due to boredom.

Journal entry #8 Day 11 - June 28 2019

Starting Weight:
463.7 (April 27, 2019)
Mood: tired ( worked 13 out of last 14 days, overdue weekend coming tomorrow)

Food Log June 28 :

Goulash 1 cup
Bread 4 slices
bananas and cup ice cream

Activity Log: 30 mins walking

The end of my week comes with excitement and a small bit of tribulation. I am a little worried that three days home without work alone as my family will be away will lead to boredom and boredom will lead eating. This is my first true weekend since I started fasting.

Tomorrow is also weigh in day, according to my home scale I should be down anywhere from 3-6 pounds. The fact that I can use my scale at all means I am down at least 1.

Looking at my food log tonight makes me realize I have to start spicing up my meals a little more. Looks like a menu for a school cafeteria. On another note I find now that I am eating an omad lifestyle I have not been able to finish my meals. you would think that after not eating for 23 hours you would devour all the food and maybe the silverware but it is the opposite. Tonight for example I took a plate of pasta like I would normally eat ( around two cups) and at about half way though the meal I was done. I hope this is a trend towards my body knowing when it is sated and to stop eating. It could be also that I am forcing myself to eat slower and enjoy my food when I eat.

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
@sabrath. The best way I try to handle boredom is to leave the house or work on a hobby at home. Anything that will get your mind off of being hungry will work. Early on when I started omad I would leave the house all the time. Your right, I would try to spice up your meals. It's very important to not deprive yourself of your cravings and also that you are enjoying your one meal.

Journal entry #8 Days 12-15 - June 29 - July 2 2019

Starting Weight:
463.7 (April 27, 2019)
Current Weight: 449 pounds (June 29, 2019)
Last Weekly Loss: 2 Pounds
Total Loss: 14.7 Pounds
Mood: disappointed

Food Log June 29,

Rice
Sweet and sour shrimp
Sweet and sour chicken
egg roll
pretzels with hummus and pepperoni stick

This weekend was a complete derailment. Being alone on the holiday weekend hit me harder than I expected which led to some bad food choices and way too much beer on Canada Day. I did not track, did not journal and just kind of ate and drank most of the weekend. I last time I ate was suppertime this evening (July 2nd) before my evening sleep so I can stay awake during the graveyard shift I restarted my fast at that point until suppertime on the 3rd. I have dusted off and continued on. There is no way you can go through a journey this long and arduous without the occasional face plant. On a good note this way of eating makes it easy to just start right back at it and continue on where you left off.