What's the difference between vegans and vegeterians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there are different kinds of vegetarians. I'll put it simply. Most vegetarians don't eat meat. Some will just avoid eating red meat, but still consume fish and chicken, and some don't eat any kind of meats all together. Vegetarians will still eat things such as eggs and dairy products. Vegans don't consume any kind of animal, or byproduct of an animal. So no meat, eggs or dairy products. There can be different levels depending on the person, for example some vegans won't eat honey.

Before i read this post i was sure that vegan and vegetarians are the same that eat vegetables only. But that post of yours are trualy an eye opening. True that some vegetarians eat some meat like fish meat and vegans really avoid even those kind of meat. Nice observation though. It got me to think that vegans really hate eating products that made from livestocks.

Although you would assume that both a vegan and a vegetarian meant about the same thing, there are a lot of differences in how they approach life and what is allowed in their diet. Another important definition would be “plant-based “ diet.
Pretty much, the term vegan determines what a person does NOT eat, which is any food that comes in any way from a living creature. They do not even eat honey that comes from bees.
However, that does not mean necessarily that a vegan eats a healthy diet, just that they do not eat meats or other animal products. Theoretically, a vegan could have cupcakes and coffee for breakfast, french fries and soda for lunch, and pasta with sauce for dinner, and it would be considered vegan, even though there is not a single vegetable in that day’s food, and it is not a healthy meal choice.

However, a plant-based diet means that you are eating fresh Whole Foods that come from plants, and not canned and processed foods or unhealthy things like hydrogenated shortening and drinking soda. A plant-based diet means you are enjoying healthy foods and avoiding unhealthy ones, not just eliminating meats from your diet.
There is a great blog article on the main website that explains how to use plant-based foods on our OMAD diet if we want to become vegan or vegetarian.

https://omaddiet.com/plant-based-omad-diet/

I think a lot of people are intimidated by going vegetarian or vegan but what they don't get is that there are levels to it and you can start out or try it out just by incorporating more vegetables into the diet instead of giving up on meat altogether. I myself have been contemplating it and have started to warm up to it by doing it this way and now even though I'm not completely vegetarian I am glad that I at least am eating a lot more vegetables than I used to alongside my meat consumption.

If one consumes any kind of meat, I don’t think I’d necessarily clump them into the vegetarian category. There are those who call themselves pesco pollo vegetarians—people who only eat fish and chicken—but I honestly don’t see how you can add the word vegetarian to the end of that. Avoiding red meat doesn’t make you a vegetarian, and it definitely doesn’t make you a vegan.

Veganism also is more than just about diet. Veganism is the choice to not utilize any form of animal products, including fur, leather, and products tested on animals. It’s kind of a tough lifestyle, especially depending on where you’re from as vegan alternatives might not always be available.

I think that vegetarianism is definitely the easier option for people around the globe, but veganism is easier in Western countries where there is an entire market catering to vegans.

If one consumes any kind of meat, I don’t think I’d necessarily clump them into the vegetarian category. There are those who call themselves pesco pollo vegetarians—people who only eat fish and chicken—but I honestly don’t see how you can add the word vegetarian to the end of that. Avoiding red meat doesn’t make you a vegetarian, and it definitely doesn’t make you a vegan.

Veganism also is more than just about diet. Veganism is the choice to not utilize any form of animal products, including fur, leather, and products tested on animals. It’s kind of a tough lifestyle, especially depending on where you’re from as vegan alternatives might not always be available.

I think that vegetarianism is definitely the easier option for people around the globe, but veganism is easier in Western countries where there is an entire market catering to vegans.

Yeah, the fish and chicken thing doesn't make sense, especially because overfishing and farm raising fish also contributes to the destruction of the environment. You can be a pescetarian though!

Also you would be surprised but it can be easy to be vegan in other areas of the world. Vietnam, for example, has a lot of vegetarian and vegan restaurants due to the Buddhist monks who live in the country and maintain a vegan diet!

I'm not a vegan as I always consume eggs once in a while. I try to find that balance as I am not comfortable of avoiding every thing that I eat when I am doing Omad.

I'm not a vegan as I always consume eggs once in a while. I try to find that balance as I am not comfortable of avoiding every thing that I eat when I am doing Omad.

You should never do anything that you're not comfortable with as that doesn't contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Nutrition is different for everyone and you need to do what's best for your body. I'm a vegan because meat makes me sick but one of my good friends has to eat eat otherwise she'll get deathly ill. In an ideal world, people would limit their meat consumption to what they need or to nothing at all so we can limit the affects on the Earth, but as long as you're doing something in moderation its okay to do what you need to do to be healthy!

Actually there are lots of food to eat in OMAD diet. The main reason and purpose of this diet is not actually the kind of food but the eating window.

Ah so they are different. I thought Vegans and Vegetarians are just the same. I thought vegan is just a short term for vegetarians. I'm really learning a lot here in our forum. Thanks for sharing your insights. It would be a great help for those people who are not fond of reading like me.

Thank you for sharing this information. At first I though vegans and vegetarians are the same untik I read this thread. I didn't know that vegans really don't eat any dairy or meat products unlike vegetarians who still eat eggs and the likes. I'll pass on this information to my friends so that they could also learn the difference.

Actually there are lots of food to eat in OMAD diet. The main reason and purpose of this diet is not actually the kind of food but the eating window.

Yeah, I know that it is the eating window that really matters, but there is need for us to understand that we should be careful of what we eat as well since it is going to have some effects on our diet as well.

I see the difference now. I didn't know this before. I just assumed that Vegan and Vegetarian mean the same. This is really very educational.

Yeah, it's really important to know the difference because if it's for a medical reason that someone is vegan you could make them very sick by accident if you accidentally fed them a vegetarian product. This happened to one of my friends who asked that her food at a restaurant have no animal products because she's vegan and the chef didn't realize that that included eggs and dairy.

Yeah, it's really important to know the difference because if it's for a medical reason that someone is vegan you could make them very sick by accident if you accidentally fed them a vegetarian product. This happened to one of my friends who asked that her food at a restaurant have no animal products because she's vegan and the chef didn't realize that that included eggs and dairy.

Oh! That is very unfortunate! I hope that your friend is alright.

Now this is really all the more educational. I didn't know that this could be fatal. Thank you again. I will keep this in mind.

Oh! That is very unfortunate! I hope that your friend is alright.

Now this is really all the more educational. I didn't know that this could be fatal. Thank you again. I will keep this in mind.

People are so used to seeing stereotypes of who is vegan and who isn't. They forget that there's many reasons to not eat or avoid certain foods. It is a two way street of vegans sometimes judging meat eaters but it's rarely as dangerous as hurting someone by feeding them an animal product.

Status
Not open for further replies.