Too much water. Is it that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water for most people that do diets is a great way of eliminating the daily food craves. You cannot completely eradicate the desire to eat but you can trick your stomach with the water till you get to eat your daily ration. There are numerous risks that are however associated with excessive intake. How should one hadle their intake when it gets beyond the daily reccommended amounts?

It is recommended to drink at least two liters of water in a day, most people don't drink more than this but there are no serious risks with an excessive intake of water.

Drinking extreme amount of water in an hour can be dangerous. If you do so, you might suffer from water intoxication or "hyponatremia". Our kidney can only eliminate about 20-28 liters of water per day, but it can't get eliminate more than 0.8-1 liter per hour. When drinking excessive amount of water, sodium in our blood becomes too diluted and causes hyponatremia. Symptoms of hyponatremia are headache, bloating, confusion and nausea and in severe cases might lead to organ failure, seizure or worse case - death. Water is good in our body but be careful and don't drink too much.

I don’t know of any bad side effects of drinking too much water unless you are forcing the water to your mouth which means you are already full but still you are imbibing more water. I have a history of kidney stones and I drink a lot of water as per the prescription of the urologist. He said that I should drink at least 10 glasses but more will be better. That means more water has no bad effect unless, as I had said, that you are drinking extremely too much water for comfort.

I think drinking too much water would have a side effect. I think it be beneficial to drink lot's of water because it will cleans are body, it will help in eliminating those waste that are not needed. Drinking water also help our skin to be more healthier.

I haven't heard of the dangers of drinking too much water but I guess it does exist. I think your body has a way of letting you know when you've had too much of something so just drink as much or a little bit over what feels natural. At least that is what I do. I never try to force it but I mostly just drink enough to combat the hunger and keep myself hydrated and sometimes I drink more than usual and it makes me pee a lot but that's about it.

Drinking extreme amount of water in an hour can be dangerous. If you do so, you might suffer from water intoxication or "hyponatremia". Our kidney can only eliminate about 20-28 liters of water per day, but it can't get eliminate more than 0.8-1 liter per hour. When drinking excessive amount of water, sodium in our blood becomes too diluted and causes hyponatremia. Symptoms of hyponatremia are headache, bloating, confusion and nausea and in severe cases might lead to organ failure, seizure or worse case - death. Water is good in our body but be careful and don't drink too much.
Great. I think the point you are trying to put is that as long as you balance the intake you are good to go. The drinking is harmless if it is on a short span.

From what I've read, there are rare cases of water intoxication. Our kidney can only process certain amount of water per hour. Drinking an extreme amount in a short time can be dangerous for us. It can cause hyponatremia in which the level of salt, or sodium, in your blood to drop too low.

Water is only bad when taken in really excessive amount. I usually just drink 1 L after the one meal and 1 L after workout, and I just drink a glass every time I feel discomfort or thirsty during the day (which isn't that often anyway).

This is great information, although i think i couldn't drink that much water but the information about hypothermia is really new to me. Thank you for the share.
With due respect ay I correct you, it is not hypothermia, its "hyponatremia". Hypothermia is a different medical condition, in which the body loses heat more than it can produce heat. Hypothermia is catched when we are exposed with too much cold. And HYPONATREMIA on the other hand is the medical condition in which sodium level in our body gets too low.

Drinking water is always recommended to all, both people on diet and not. But always think that excessive intake may cause bad effects too.
Yes drinking just enough amount of water is good for our body. Too much water intake may cause harm. As I have mentioned earlier in my comment, Hyponatermia occurs when we drink extreme amount of water which causes sodium level in our blood drops. Oh by the way, off topic, I like your profile photo,I am a Kpop lover too.

For me it's like this, if it's hot and humid then I drink a lot of liquids but if it's cold or raining then I don't drink as much. I only drink when I'm thirsty and I never drink too much that I'm forcing it in to my system because that's not normal.

I get your point like at the times that its hot you can sweat a lot and as such you will be losing a lot of water. The intake will be to replace that which is lost during as you sweat. Your body will also naturally adjust to require more water when the weather is warmer.

@lei08pineda got your clarification too its appreciated.

Water is something I’ve done a lot of research on, since it’s not only a fascinating part of our nutrition but obviously one of the most necessary aspects of our diets. It’s generally recommended that the average adult drink at least 2 liters a day, but the preferred amount is around 2.5-3 liters. Is it okay to drink more than that throughout the day? Absolutely, but the keywords are throughout the day.

While it’s particularly difficult to do so for the average person (without vomiting at least), drinking 6 liters of water at once will actually kill you. This is because your kidneys don’t have enough time to filter the excess water and you basically drown from the inside. Is it safe to drink those 6 liters throughout the day, though? Yes, given you have properly working kidneys.

For me it's like this, if it's hot and humid then I drink a lot of liquids but if it's cold or raining then I don't drink as much. I only drink when I'm thirsty and I never drink too much that I'm forcing it in to my system because that's not normal.
Yes drinking in hot weather is adviceable. I also do not force myself in drinking too much when I feel like I can't take more water in my stomach. I feel like bloated when I drink a lot.

Sometime Because if You Drink Too Much Water and Your Stomach Can't Take it Anymore Don't Force Yourself To Drink More, Why? Because Your Lungs Might Get Drowned If You Drink Too Much Water But There's Something Good Too About Water it Might Remove Our Toxic Into Our Body and Digest it.

Even at one point I think if you drink to a point that you feel bloated it is only wise to stop. Get dehydrated first before taking more.

Dehydrated obviously meaning that you will have to feel thirsty again.

As per others. The liver can only cope with around 1 litre an hour. I personally try to drink 4 pints per 4 hours x 3
So I aim for around 6 litres per day. I add plenty of salt to my meal and some to my water.

Sometime Because if You Drink Too Much Water and Your Stomach Can't Take it Anymore Don't Force Yourself To Drink More, Why? Because Your Lungs Might Get Drowned If You Drink Too Much Water But There's Something Good Too About Water it Might Remove Our Toxic Into Our Body and Digest it.

As long as you always urinate the excess water that we took, I don't think there's any form of negative view of taking excess water. Water will always assist in cleaning the lungs and other toxics off our body which is good for someone that is on diet.

I never really heard of bad side effects of water. All I know are the great benefits from it. It's really true to take everything in moderation. I drink 2-3 liters a day and I know a friend who drinks 4-6 liters. She never had any bad side effects. Maybe this happens when you push yourself to drink too much when you have enough. I'll definitely check this out. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.