Should I try Omad Cold Turkey? Or work into it?

Hi Larry T,

I went at it cold turkey February 13 after years of yo-yo dieting and after realizing I didn't want to do another week of the GM diet to lose 6 to 7 pounds of water weight only to gain it back 2-3 days later. I didn't really feel hungry throughout the day but I did and still do begin to feel hungry closer to my window of eating but I've been able to hold out until it's time to have my OMAD by telling myself how much I'll enjoy my meal.

I will say that it's important to eat enough whenever you do decide to have your OMAD and should certainly hold you over until the next window of eating.

Hi Larry T,

I went at it cold turkey February 13 after years of yo-yo dieting and after realizing I didn't want to do another week of the GM diet to lose 6 to 7 pounds of water weight only to gain it back 2-3 days later. I didn't really feel hungry throughout the day but I did and still do begin to feel hungry closer to my window of eating but I've been able to hold out until it's time to have my OMAD by telling myself how much I'll enjoy my meal.

I will say that it's important to eat enough whenever you do decide to have your OMAD and should certainly hold you over until the next window of eating.

Thanks. I'm going to be starting tommorow. I think my eating window is going to be from 4-8. I think I'm going to just go with it cold turkey as well and see how I fare. I'm kind a nervous since I've never done anything like this but I'm also excited was well. This seems simple enough for me that I can do this all the time and keep my weight down. I tried keto for awhile, but I'm just not a person who has time to always check labels and worry about what they are eating.

Thanks. I'm going to be starting tommorow. I think my eating window is going to be from 4-8. I think I'm going to just go with it cold turkey as well and see how I fare. I'm kind a nervous since I've never done anything like this but I'm also excited was well. This seems simple enough for me that I can do this all the time and keep my weight down. I tried keto for awhile, but I'm just not a person who has time to always check labels and worry about what they are eating.
I agree. Are there any specific goals you are aiming for with OMAD? Mine is fat loss quite honestly. I'm looking to shed 15-20 lbs but the overall being healthy thing would be quite nice as well

I agree. Are there any specific goals you are aiming for with OMAD? Mine is fat loss quite honestly. I'm looking to shed 15-20 lbs but the overall being healthy thing would be quite nice as well

My long-term goal is to lose over 50 pounds. I've been heavy for so long. I feel like if I can get there, I can be happy again. Another goal of mine is to quit eating fast food over time. That's what has given me my weight gain.

I had a little test run for 3 days after ending up eating one meal one day last week. Then I learned a little bit about it and just jumped in. I'm on day 6 and feeling wonderful about that decision. I'm looking to lose around 100 lbs. While I did jump right in, I am still eating the same foods while I adjust. I'm working on coming up with meals that will progressively get healthier and more balanced. Baby steps after the jump in I guess :)

I wish you the best of luck!

So today is my start date. I've done this before.... I didn't stick to it long enough to see the results I should've. :)
This time is different.

I started cold turkey as well! I was really excited when I found omad and wanted to try it right away.

I started cold-turkey too. I had a big meal the night before and the next day I was an OMADer. If I was miserable I would have quit, but I wasn’t miserable, in fact, I liked it. I felt SO out of control before and now I feel so much more in control. It’s day 16 and down 13.5 pounds. I’m still 9.5 pounds away from goal, that would put me in the “normal” weight range for the first time in years.

I started cold-turkey too. I had a big meal the night before and the next day I was an OMADer. If I was miserable I would have quit, but I wasn’t miserable, in fact, I liked it. I felt SO out of control before and now I feel so much more in control. It’s day 16 and down 13.5 pounds. I’m still 9.5 pounds away from goal, that would put me in the “normal” weight range for the first time in years.

Thanks Tes. Just finished up my second day and am very encouraged so far. Went on a walk today to get away from food and it seemed to help a lot. I'm going to wait to step on the scale until a full 7 days. I don't want to start stepping on the scale everyday and get down on myself. Congrats on your weight loss!

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member

Congrats Tes! Love hearing this!

I have failed in all the diets that I indulged in so it was a long time when I last had a diet. But this OMAD got me curious because at first I thought it was a joke. But when I delved on the discussions in this forum, I understood the principle. For me, cold turkey will not work because of my past experience that’s why I took time to do more research while preparing my body for OMAD. Skipping dinner which I usually do was a good option. When I got to skip dinner for a week without any complications then that was the go signal.

I’m someone who just jumps right into most challenges, so I went into OMAD cold turkey. Does that mean it’s the best way to do it? Well, it depends.

Drastically changing your eating schedule can potentially have a negative impact on your body—nothing dangerous, just inconvenient—so it might not hurt for some folks to gently ease into it instead.

If you think going cold turkey would be too much for you, you can try other types of intermittent fasting first. You can start out by trying a 16:8 diet (fasting 16 hours, eating for 8), then trying 20:4 (fasting 20 hours, eating for 4) and finally 23:1, which would be OMAD.

I started with the 16-8 fasting protocol which was hard because I had never fasted a day in my life. Once I got used to 16-8 I went on the 18-4 protocol. Then it was not hard for me to go on OMAD after that. I definitely would not have made it if I went cold turkey. Its something I had to ease myself into doing. It also has a lot to do with your mind set and how busy you are as a person. But once you get used to go the sky is the limit in terms of weight loss and health.

I worked on it by skipping a meal for a week then skipping a meal and a snack for another week then when I was able to skip breakfast, I decided to go for it and I lost a lot of pounds doing it.

I think everyone has a different experience and will tend to respond better to different methods. I myself have given intermittent fasting a try in the past so I knew what to expect with an OMAD diet somewhat although I did still have some worries since only eating one meal within an hour a day is still massively different from the allowance of eating within a four hour window. So for me the jump was both gradual and instant but I'd say it's okay to also just do it for a day or two so you can see what it does to you, but also just going in gradually is fine also.

I’m someone who just jumps right into most challenges, so I went into OMAD cold turkey. Does that mean it’s the best way to do it? Well, it depends.

Drastically changing your eating schedule can potentially have a negative impact on your body—nothing dangerous, just inconvenient—so it might not hurt for some folks to gently ease into it instead.

If you think going cold turkey would be too much for you, you can try other types of intermittent fasting first. You can start out by trying a 16:8 diet (fasting 16 hours, eating for 8), then trying 20:4 (fasting 20 hours, eating for 4) and finally 23:1, which would be OMAD.

Ditto, I’ve never IF ever, just jumped right in. That was 316 days ago. I’m 64 soon to be 65.