Rectifying the OMAD eating window with keto coffee consumption.

Since I started properly intermittent fasting with OMAD, I've been drinking nothing but unsweetened tea. I have however been most unsatisfied with the tea and yearn for coffee, especially morning coffee. Moreover I am well aware that coffee has numerous correlations with very impressive health benefits. I do not care to do away with coffee. Black coffee however is to me even worse than the unsweetened tea I have been drinking.

So what then? Dr. Rhonda Patrick has said some distressing things about how drinking 'anything' other than water can break much of the benefit from fasting. I am not prepared to simply ignore her warning. Accordingly I am thinking about adopting what would be for all intents a "warrior' diet approach to my OMAD. I will still eat only one actual meal a day, but I will precede that meal with a window of opportunity for the drinking of coffee with small dash of cooking cream (totally keto). I can resist having the coffee till eight AM, and then have my meal at... And this is where my conundrum comes in...

Ideally I would like to extend the daily fasting period for as long as possible. If my drinking coffee means I'm not getting a 23 hour digestive cycle, I want as large a one as I can manage. If I drink a coffee at eight AM and eat a meal at noon, that will give me a 19 hour digestive cycle, which is still darn good. The problem is that I have absolutely zero appetite at noon. My body is utterly un-acclimatized to eating after waking. I can muster an appetite by three in the afternoon, but that then gives me a 16 hour digestive cycle if I drink a coffee at eight AM. That is still what most intermittent fasters get, but I was hoping for more.

Does anyone have any insights or comments that could help me over my decision making hump?

Last edited:
From what I have read, you should be able to have cream in your coffee, and still stay in ketosis, although not in fasting. As long as you are in ketosis, then you are still burning fat, and a little cream would not be much if you were just adding a spoonful to your morning coffee and only having one cup.
I always add a bit of cream to my coffee because I hate black coffee also, but then we go to the fitness center and I swim for an hour, which would be burning off any calories from the cream in the coffee, and I stay in ketosis until after I come home from swimming and have my mid-day meal, or early afternoon meal, as it usually is. I keep my eating window to be anywhere from 11AM-3PM, so that it fits for whenever we get back home from the fitness center and I have time to prepare our meal. I don’t eat for that long a window, but it can be an hour window anywhere in that time frame.
Since I am finished by 3 at the latest, then I have plenty of overnight time for my body to be fasting before the next day when I have coffee again.