Question about my diet

So I've been doing OMAD for almost a week, and am feeling pretty good about the fat loss and health benefits so far. My main worry is my diet. I typically eat what I want for my meal, but I do have one main staple: eggs. They're one of the most complete foods out there. I eat 10 eggs every night, scrambled, with cheese and cooked in butter. It comes to around 1450 calories, 114g fat, 80g protein and like 5g carbs. I usually snack around after that as 10 eggs are very filling. I weigh 160lbs and am trying to tone up and get stronger, doing body weight exercises 3-4 days a week. Should I try and get more protein or am I ok?

You should increase your daily protein, especially if you want to hypertrophy your muscles, you should eat 0.8-1.0g/pound. But, considering you're on a low carb diet, you should increase even more because carbs become glycogen on our body (our primary energy source), so, when you do not eat enough carbs, your body uses protein to create glycogen, and if you have not enough protein to repair your muscles you will lose muscle.

You should increase your daily protein, especially if you want to hypertrophy your muscles, you should eat 0.8-1.0g/pound. But, considering you're on a low carb diet, you should increase even more because carbs become glycogen on our body (our primary energy source), so, when you do not eat enough carbs, your body uses protein to create glycogen, and if you have not enough protein to repair your muscles you will lose muscle.

See I've heard different. I've heard and read that your body burns fat when you're on a keto diet, and it only starts burning muscle tissue after like 72 hours of fasting.

See I've heard different. I've heard and read that your body burns fat when you're on a keto diet, and it only starts burning muscle tissue after like 72 hours of fasting.
The fat burning process occurs when your body needs some energy to work and it doesn't have. So, basically, if you are eating fewer calories than you need to keep your body working, your body will use fat as an energy source, because that's the primary function of the fat we accumulate, it's an energy reserve.
Some people have a facility to store fat when they eat carbs, so the keto diet can be good for them, but it' just one method.
Your body has a need for amino acids (that comes from protein) per day to do some processes, so if at that moment it doesn't have to repair some tissues, for example, it can use your muscles to produce amino acids, and it's a process very normal, it always happens, but if at the day long you have a surplus of protein, your body will "returns" this protein for your muscles.
So what really matters is if you are offering the necessary nutrients your body needs daily to work.

I think you should eat more high-protein food to sustain you in your exercise and eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. I do not normally put cheese on my egg and butter because of the transfat both of them contains plus the caloric contents. I prefer to scarmble it on olive oil.

What's your height? It mainly depends on your goal. If you're looking to gain more muscle, then you should increase your protein intake to around 100 g per day and take in less fat. If you're looking to just lose weight and just maintain muscle (which I would assume, given that you're only doing body weight exercises), then your protein intake is already sufficient. I still think that you can cut down on the fat and 10 eggs per day is too much.

Should I try and get more protein or am I ok?

You're going to have to up the protein a notch if you want to be eating for the sake of building muscle.

According to the academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the average bodybuilder requires 0.63 to 0.77 grams of protein per pound of body weight. This means that at 160lbs, you should be consuming at minimum 100g of protein.

Also, I'd probably recommend hitting the gym instead of doing body weight workouts. Unless you're doing some sort of super intense circuit, you're going to be severely limiting your results through body weight workouts alone. You're going to need actual equipment such as dumbbells and barbells in order to get decent results. Until you hit the gym, you actually might not even be needing that much protein.

You're going to have to up the protein a notch if you want to be eating for the sake of building muscle.

According to the academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the average bodybuilder requires 0.63 to 0.77 grams of protein per pound of body weight. This means that at 160lbs, you should be consuming at minimum 100g of protein.

Also, I'd probably recommend hitting the gym instead of doing body weight workouts. Unless you're doing some sort of super intense circuit, you're going to be severely limiting your results through body weight workouts alone. You're going to need actual equipment such as dumbbells and barbells in order to get decent results. Until you hit the gym, you actually might not even be needing that much protein.
True! Going to the gym is the game changer since you need more protein for doing that. More weight exercises means more protein for muscle buildup and more calories that will be burned.

I will think to get the fulling the more then veggies and fruits should be added to the mix to enhance the nutritional value needed by the body.I do eat enough eggs too daily for my high protein needs but to reduce the incessant snacking I add some nuts and fruits to my diet and it thus help a lot.

I agree with @cutdogg03, the OMAD diet is 24 hours fasting, When you are fasting for more then 16 hours, your body goes into ketosis and the fuel it uses to keep functioning is your fats. In my experience people who fast never have hanging skin. This is because your brain is using your fats to keep functioning. The science behind weight loss keeps changing, and what we thought we knew keeps changing. The theory about muscle loss is an old one, especially as you are eating low carb and alot of protein.

Eating too much of anything is never good for your body, just eat a well balance meal and exercise, that's the best way of maintaining good health. Eating a lot of protein for extended periods of time may lead to health complications in your digestive tract.

Last edited:
I think you don't need much adjustments as long as you are keeping your intake within a reasonable value. If this is what makes you full then the most you might have to strive for might be just to include some vegetables and fruits depending on what you are aiming to achieve. I am just guessing but to my knowledge this diet is mostly dependent on fasting so as long as you eat a reasonable amount where you can reach the next day comfortably then you probably will be fine regardless of what you eat, within reason of course.

Isn’t that an excessive intake of protein when you eat 10 eggs? I had a friend who was hospitalized for stomach pains when he ate 8 boiled eggs in one sitting. Maybe 2 up to 5 eggs will be enough for your size. But if you are okay with that number of eggs then I guess it’s doing you good. That protein supply is m ore than enough.

Isn’t that an excessive intake of protein when you eat 10 eggs? I had a friend who was hospitalized for stomach pains when he ate 8 boiled eggs in one sitting. Maybe 2 up to 5 eggs will be enough for your size. But if you are okay with that number of eggs then I guess it’s doing you good. That protein supply is m ore than enough.

Well I don't think eating 8 eggs could get you hospitalized. I mean unless you ate bad eggs.