Pickle juice and Omad?

So I never realized that pickle juice has so many benefits? Does anyone drink this with their one meal a day? Is this allowed outside the fasting window?

I would love to say yes to this since I drink a lot of water and around 3 PM every day I've been getting tired and drinking a little water with some salt in it seems to perk me up but it tastes so awful, and pickle juice is something I love. So I'm going to look more into this when I have a little time later today. Even a few ounces of pickle juice would be great instead of the salt-water.

The only concern that I would have is that a lot of pickles, even dill, contain some form of sugar. I just checked the dill pickles in my fridge, my favorite brand ever and was disappointed that there was high fructose corn syrup in them. So if it is a pickle juice with no sugar added to it and the calories and protein are zero, then I would think it would be ok and wouldn't break your fast. I'll let you know what I find later.

Hi I’m glad you brought up this option. I love pickles and their juice. I agree with Agathist about checking the ingredients list. I would look for the pickles that have only cucumbers and brine. There’s a brand that’s kept chilled in the meat sections of supermarkets

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
As already mentioned, generally no. Pickle juice is going to vary by the type and how its made. But you may be able to find some out there that may work. If you are ever unsure, take a picture of the label and we can take a look:)

I checked some labels in the store today and it's crazy how many foods add sugar to them, even some foods you wouldn't think need sugar. I picked up some smartwater to keep my electrolytes up if I feel I need it, and I may experiment with making my own pickle brine. At least I'll know what went into it. So for now I'll be skipping the pickle juice during fasting.

It's definitely crazy how many foods out have added ingredients and sugar. I was talking to Mariela about an app I was thinking about trying out. I think something that can quickly scan barcodes and give information would be so helpful in making the right choices.

I checked some labels in the store today and it's crazy how many foods add sugar to them, even some foods you wouldn't think need sugar. I picked up some smartwater to keep my electrolytes up if I feel I need it, and I may experiment with making my own pickle brine. At least I'll know what went into it. So for now I'll be skipping the pickle juice during fasting.
homemade pickle brine sounds fascinating. I could use some right now. Soooo I have 30 more minutes until I reach 24 hours post last meal and I totally just side-eyed my coworker (whom I love) for heating her lunch which smells amazing. 4 more hours. off to drink water.

Try getting a water with electrolytes. I've been getting sleepy in the afternoons and water with a little salt helped so I bought a bottle of smartwater, it has electrolytes but no flavor or sweetener and it helped me feel good throughout the day. I think I'll try to make a small batch of pickles next weekend and see if the brine comes out ok. I'll definitely post the recipe if it does.

So I never realized that pickle juice has so many benefits? Does anyone drink this with their one meal a day? Is this allowed outside the fasting window?

I was watching a TV show where this guy travels the world to learn about different music. But his tour guides usually like to take him places to eat as well. He was somewhere in the Middle East or Turkey (I can't remember) and they were buying food from a street vendor. To wash the meal down the drink of choice was pickle juice. When I was a kid we used to drink pickle juice. It's not something that went with our meals. We just didn't want to throw the juice away once we had eaten all the pickles in the bottle. I didn't know it was healthy to drink. I just liked the taste! Now I'm thinking I should start drinking pickle juice again. :)

I don’t really see how there could be many benefits to drinking pickle juice. I mean, anything is possible, I just haven’t heard about this yet. I suppose it could help in maintaining adequate sodium levels, and possibly have some beneficial bacteria depending on if the pickles were fermented or not, but otherwise there isn’t much nutritional value in drinking pickle juice.

The biggest issue I find is that pickle juice is typically loaded with preservatives, as are all pickled products (otherwise they’d go bad or start to ferment). Most preservatives have a negative impact on our bodies, so I’d probably recommend avoiding them. I like a sip of pickle juice as a treat here and there, but I wouldn’t drink glasses of the stuff on a daily basis.

I don't like pickle juice unless it is mixed with some other food I guess and even then I don't know how many foods I would like to put it in. However, I do think that there might be some truth to it being healthy but honestly I think it's probably more dependent on some of the ingredients in it instead of it actually being healthy because of the mix. I don't think it's okay to take during fasting period either and I wouldn't risk it for that and instead would just use apple cider vinegar instead which is already proven to be helpful.

Pickle juice calories will shift by the sort and how its made. You can truly make custom made pickles yourself and that juice would be for all intents and purposes calorie free. Initially pickles were made by aging cucumbers with water and salt.

Pickle juice is not my thing when it comes to liquid taken while on OMAD. My basis are just coffee, water and tea. But coffee is my major drink while on OMAD because the caffeine does me lots of good.