One Month on OMAD: Results and What I Learned.

Starting Weight: 226.4 lbs
1 Month's Results: 217.0 lbs
Total Lost: 9.4 lbs

Also, I lost 2 inches on my waist.

Things I learned about OMAD this month.

1. Having a cup of broth, (or water with a pinch of salt in it) each morning really helps with hunger and cravings. That's because it restores electrolytes: all the extra water I was drinking was flushing out electrolytes- salts that are now replenished by the broth! Really took the edge off of fasting.

2. For 2 weeks this month I didn't lose anything on the scale while fasting. I just waited it out. Eventually the scale showed a drop. Eating sweets during my OMAD helped me hang onto water weight. Basically this first month I gave myself leeway to learn this way of eating and let myself eat sweets during my OMAD. I plan to be even more healthy in my meals next month.

3. Omad definitely got easier as the weeks went by. That first week was very difficult, then second week had good and hard days. By the 3rd week, the tough days were less. Discovered broth the 3rd or 4th week and that really helped! Guess some of my hunger was caused by low electrolytes! my body was craving food for the salt? Now i just start my mornings with a tall glass of cool water and a mug with a cup of hot broth.

4. I learned the body needs potassium (from white potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, bananas, tomato sauce, watermelon, spinach etc.). A lot of dieters cut out the carbs like potatoes and bananas etc, Potassium lowers blood pressure. and is necessary for the muscles, especially the heart muscle. Many dieters cut out potassium rich foods and are hurting their selves. I think the trick is to eat a variety of nutrient rich foods during OMAD.

Are you using tap water or distilled? What kind of salt do you use? Have you tried Pink Himalayan?

I just use iodized salt. I drink tap water.
Looks like your doing great. Today is start of second week for me and I wonder if you could answer a question for me? I drink a lot of hot tea and normally I used honey as a sweetener if anything at all. Since starting OMAD I have omitted all sugar except I am using Stevia in my hot tea. It says it is zero calories. Is that okay to have on OMAD? Thank you ahead of time :)

Yes, I heard it was fine to use stevia. A lot of people do. In fact, some have a little milk or cream or almond milk in their coffee. I don't, but many who are fasting do it.

Bone broth is really popular. My grocery store sells it. I LOVE mushroom broth and there's less than 5 calories per serving. I switch around and use veggie broth, chicken broth, and beef broth-just for variety- usually I measure out 1 cup, and heat it and sip it hot. But I've been known to have 2 cups of broth if I'm especially hungry, the lower calorie ones, like mushroom broth etc. I think that veggie broth has the most calories. Sometimes at night, if my stomach feels empty, I'll have another cup of broth- MOST of the time it does the trick!

I am glad to find this discussion about OMAD results because I am doing a deeper research to help me succeed in this diet. To be frank, I am gathering positive notes on OMAD because I am afraid to start and stop in a few days. However, that mention of 2 weeks without any weight loss is very discouraging. Perhaps there is something wrong with what you were eating? I thought that in OMAD you can eat anything and the amount of food does not matter as long as you eat just once in a day. How come you didn’t lose even a pound in 2 weeks?

1. Having a cup of broth, (or water with a pinch of salt in it) each morning really helps with hunger and cravings. That's because it restores electrolytes: all the extra water I was drinking was flushing out electrolytes- salts that are now replenished by the broth! Really took the edge off of fasting.

2. For 2 weeks this month I didn't lose anything on the scale while fasting. I just waited it out. Eventually the scale showed a drop. Eating sweets during my OMAD helped me hang onto water weight. Basically this first month I gave myself leeway to learn this way of eating and let myself eat sweets during my OMAD. I plan to be even more healthy in my meals next month.

3. Omad definitely got easier as the weeks went by. That first week was very difficult, then second week had good and hard days. By the 3rd week, the tough days were less. Discovered broth the 3rd or 4th week and that really helped! Guess some of my hunger was caused by low electrolytes! my body was craving food for the salt? Now i just start my mornings with a tall glass of cool water and a mug with a cup of hot broth.

4. I learned the body needs potassium (from white potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, bananas, tomato sauce, watermelon, spinach etc.). A lot of dieters cut out the carbs like potatoes and bananas etc, Potassium lowers blood pressure. and is necessary for the muscles, especially the heart muscle. Many dieters cut out potassium rich foods and are hurting their selves. I think the trick is to eat a variety of nutrient rich foods during OMAD.

Looks you got a good journey with OMAD with your experience. That was really my own experience too. That thing you said that it will be only hard for the starter and eventually when you are taking long into OMAD that will be easier for you.

Wow! That's great. I remember my first month as well. It wasn't easy. But what motivated me was the improvement of my health. I felt so much better since I was constantly eating stuff. I think it's normal to not see immediate weight loss. It comes naturally after more than a month of OMAD.

My major takeaway is about the broth. Where I live there is someone who sells some good bone broth but whenever I visit their stall its at the times when I am off the diet. I did not know I could use it to minimize food cravings amd normally when I felt hungry I just drank water. I will try the new tactic you have advised.

You did a great job by detailing your journey so far.When I started OMAD it wasn't easy for me too,I was always hungry but that has stopped because I just sip water to keep me full and strong still my feeding period.OMAD allows a us eat all foods provided it within the feeding window. This weight loss story of yours is really motivating especially for newbies

Congrats Shelly! I am new to the community and will begin my OMAD today! It was great to read your first month experience. I am sure it will help in during my first month journey! Continue on your successful path...we are here to support you!!!!

If i could give some personal opinions and suggestions. Iodized salt is just basic toxic table salt. it's not healthy at all. The most popular form of salt used in health circles which is widely available in grocery stores is pink salt. it's a healthy form of salt not highly processed with chemicals like iodized table salt is. Pink salt also has over 80 trace minerals. which is really what you would need to replenish electrolytes. as opposed to table salt which is just A toxic form of sodium which has been stripped of anything healthy. even the iodine they use is such a miniscule amount and low quality it's pointless to get it as a source of iodine.

Also drinking broth or bone broth is not a sin. but just know if you are drinking it outside of your OMAD hour. it will break your fast. and in the end potentially give you even worse tummy hunger pangs later. also will stop fat burn and body restoration as the body is out of its fasting mode temporarily. It may not sound like it would, but it does, and your body starts that internal clock over. If your worried about electrolytes I personally would do the broths or salts while you are eating during your OMAD hour. on the carbs, I agree 100 percent you should be getting them from whole food natural fruits, veggies. Definitely not from processed foods. These of course are just my opinions and from gathered research. but in the end. you need to do what you are comfortable with. these are just ideas to ponder and do with what you will. you overall are doing a great job.