My Progress

I just finished my 2nd week of omad. I do have to say that while it still feels right, I need to change it up a bit. I need to change the foods I'm eating. I have PCOS, and the most successful things I'm reading about PCOS and weight-loss all have to do with having a keto diet. I can't do that for about a month though. I'll still be sticking to omad, but I have the feeling my progress will stay pretty slow until I get the foods right for my body. I can deal with that knowing it gives me time to do more research, and some progress, even slow, is better than no progress. So I will be proud of it no matter how slow it goes.

I started omad weighing 254.6 lbs, and after the first week was 251.8 lbs, and today ending my 2nd week I am 251 lbs. I don't know how I only dropped 0.8 lbs this past week. The first week I messed up twice and this week I didn't mess up a single time. I ate at the same time each day and my meal was around 1200 calories.

Part of the reason I'm not too upset about the slow progress is because despite not losing much weight so far, I feel better physically and mentally. I haven't had heartburn one single time in the last 2 weeks and I used to have it at least 5 times a week minimum. I'm falling asleep quicker and sleeping more soundly, and my mind and body just feel better. I'm definitely not going to overlook those changes by just focusing on weight. I'm going to be proud of every little aspect of the changes that I'm making, not putting any one thing ahead of the other in order of importance.

I'll keep learning and improving, to do the very best that I can do for myself.

I can relate. My weight loss tapered after first week and during my month of being omad there was 1 day that I weighed in at my starting weight. I was floored but it made me realize that meals of heavy carbs aren’t my friend either. I want to adapt a more keto friendly woe with my omad as well. Maybe we can inspire each other
Today I didn’t have my meal only because I’m traveling. I had 3 mints as they came in handy. Yesterday I had an earlier eating window around 430pm. So I haven’t had a full meal since and I don’t plan on eating til around 430 tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted on how that goes
But I said all that to say don’t be hard on yourself. The way I see it is if I had been eating the foods I’ve been eating outside of omad, I’m pretty sure I would have gained about 7-10 lbs this month. The day I weighed in at my starting weight I considered giving up but like you I feel much better eating OMAD

I won't be hard on myself, as long as I feel good and I'm not gaining then I'll be content for now. That being said, I did weigh in at 250 lbs this morning. That made me happy. I then caught myself about to self-sabotage when I felt a little hungry and I was telling myself I could do 2 meals today. I quickly put a stop to that thought and had some water which made me feel better. My goal for a long time has been to get under 250, and knowing that it could happen any time now just set my brain off into sabotage mode. I have to stay aware of that at all time. I also have to have more patience with my body and let it work at it's own pace. I can try to adjust things, but I need to accept that it may be a while before I find the right combo of things for myself.

I hope your extended fast is going well. I'm not sure I could fast that long. I kind of want to try it now just to see if I can. I'm afraid it would turn into a disaster though.

Hi Agathist,
I’m glad you’re feeling more at ease. It does feel good when you can see the scale go down. You said something that really resonated with me. I’ve realized that times where I’ve been near a goal weight I’ve also self sabotaged. I wonder why that is??

The scale was down 3 lbs since my 48 hour-fast. I broke my fast today. I did eat dinner tonight as the group I was working with went out for dinner around 9. Finished my meal in an hour . I had a grilled chicken skewer, 1 cup of steamed rice, veggies, and 1 scoop of sesami ice cream with fresh strawberries

Eating in a restaurant has the advantage of not returning for seconds. I actually wasn’t hungry but decided to eat. I probably could have waited until tomorrow afternoon to eat

I ended up eating my omad a little while ago as I am traveling and will not make it home until tonight. I had an arugala salad with about 6 jumbo shrimp and salmon. Lemon viniagrette salad. I ended up stopping at a snack shop and grabbed a banana coconut breakfast bar. I liked the ingredient list and it was sweetened with banana so gave me the hint of sweetness I wanted
Total calories- 1000-1200
Carbs around 45g

I try to get in at least 1200 calories a day and am trying to improve the foods I eat so I can get as many vitamins and minerals from food as I can, then the rest I will supplement. I had a rough day today. I was dealing with hunger since I woke up. I caught myself trying to talk myself into just eating something small. I resisted though because I weighed in this morning at 249.8 lbs. I haven't been this low in at least 10 years. I just remembered the feeling seeing that number this morning and pushed through the day. I got really tired around 3, but I think because between 8 this morning and 3 this afternoon I had drank nearly a gallon of water, so my electrolytes were probably depleted. I put a little pink salt into some water and drank it, and it made me feel a little better. Then when it was time to finally eat I wasn't cooking anything so I raided the fridge for leftovers. I ended up having a pita bread with leftover shredded chicken in bbq sauce, then another pita with some leftover tuna with a spinach, feta, and cucumber salad on the side. Thankfully the pita each only had 6g of net carbs. So I ended the day with - 1210 calories - 73g protein - 53g carbs - 76g fat.

I don't plan on jumping full on into keto with 20 or less net carbs a day any time soon. But I'll try to stay around 50 and see how that works for me. Another thing I'm trying to avoid is added sugars. I failed miserably tonight with the bbq sauce and salad dressing ending with 35g of sugar for the day though. Yesterday and the day before I had less than 5g of sugar a day, and it was almost all natural sugars.

It'll take time, trial, and error, but I'm sure I'll find what works for me and what I can work with.

Yay you broke the 250 mark. I’m happy for you. Your numbers look fine to me. I’ll bet if you weigh in tomorrow you’ll probably see a loss. I’m trying not to go over 50 g of carbs but if there are days I go over I’ll just balance it out the next day. Also, I feel like our days are parallel sometimes. Remember how I ate super early today well I’ve been pushing through hunger so hopefully I’ll fall asleep soon since I’m home. I’ve discovered that my body doesn’t react well when I eat before 4 p.m. For some reason it triggers my urge to eat. Someone was eating next to me on the plane and I was getting so jealous. First time since omad

I have the feeling that we are going to learn a lot about ourselves through doing omad. It's not just eating at a certain time but it really tests and strengthens your self-control and willpower. That being said, last night 45 minutes after my meal I ended up having a couple of pancakes with butter and syrup. I was still under 250 this morning though, no loss, I went up .6 lbs, but I'm not worried about it. Weight fluctuates and I had extra calories. I had a bad night and emotional eating has been in my life for the last 25 years. It's hard sometimes to avoid it. I knew what I was doing and I made sure not to have a full-on binge. I told myself what I was having, then had it and was done with it.

I work from home with a pretty flexible schedule, so a few days a week I take care of my cousins son so she can work. It is difficult making him breakfast and lunch and not eating with him like I normally do, but it's getting easier. Yesterdays hunger was unreal, but today I'm back to just minor hunger that is completely tolerable. I think cutting carbs down to around 50 is what I'm going to focus on. Once I'm settled into that I'll try getting my sugar down again. I think I jumped in too soon with that one. I did 2 days with less than 5g of sugar each day and then on that 3rd day (yesterday) was when I was ravenous all day. I didn't worry about sugar last night and I feel good today. I just get too excited and need to slow down and let one thing work before adding more to it.

I don't like eating early either. Once I eat my hunger is set off, so by having my meal at around 6 PM, I'm still satisfied by the time I go to bed. I could never have my omad as breakfast, I'd end up suffering through the day.

I think you are truly finding your stride. Glad you’re still under and I wouldn’t be concerned about the .6. I’m sure the pancakes were yummy and that.6 is only water weight. Trust me whenever I have dessert which has been often I go up on average .5 but it goes right back down. Keep up the good work and onwards and upwards

Thanks Mariela :) Although my official weekly weigh-in isn't until Monday, I was excited that my weight this morning was 247.6. It makes me happy that on omad a little off-plan eating doesn't ruin the entire week. I know I'm not perfect and would never try to be. I know in my heart that I'm doing the absolute best that I can and I'm completely good with that in every way.

How are things going with you?

Wonderful to hear Agathist. I’m so happy for you. I’m doing good still haven’t eliminated desserts after my meal but working on it. The extended fast really helped. I will weigh myself on Monday and I’ll report back. I don’t have a scale at home just use the one at my gym. I agree, OMAD is great.
I was talking to a guy recently about this and he said that he always used this to lose fat/get in shape. He says only difference is he doesn’t monitor the time he just eats once whether it’s his lunch or dinner but I told him the beauty of being consistent and how it has trained my body to not expect food until that window of time

Weekly Update - I weighed in this morning at 246.6 lbs. That puts me down exactly 8 lbs in 3 weeks on omad. I'm happy with that! I'm even happier that I managed not to eat last night even though my inner saboteur was throwing a raging fit. I was trying to reason with myself that I could just eat and no one would know. I'd accept the set-back and move on. I knew though that I would be disappointed in myself today if I had eaten last night and that would have made it even easier the next time to give into those urges.

I sat and really paid attention to what my body was feeling and surprise, it wasn't hunger. Well, maybe a little hunger, but it was manageable. I wanted to eat just to eat, like I've done all my life. The feeling passed but then came back so I just finished my glass of water and went to bed. I felt more comfortable in bed and away from the food, then the urge to eat went away and I slept pretty good.

The weekends are difficult when it comes to omad because I decided to do 18:6 IF on Sat, and then a 48 hour fast following. It fits my schedule really well and even though last night was difficult, I can find things to distract myself. If I can make it through the first attempt, then I can do it from here on out. It's Monday at almost 3 PM and I ended my last meal at 6 PM on Saturday. I feel great, not too hungry and I'll have no issues waiting 3 more hours to eat my meal for today. Making it through last night feels like a huge breakthrough for me and I'm actually proud of myself, which is not something I'm used to feeling.

I felt so proud and inspired reading your post, Agathist. I enjoyed reading every word. Congratulations on the weight loss and for being successful at your 48 hour fast. I venture here throughout the day to keep me motivated when I start to think about eating just for the sake of eating and this is exactly what I needed to read. You are showing so much progress not just on the scale but with your entire outlook on food.

Weekly Update # 4...

I've been doing omad for 4 weeks now and I feel fantastic, aside from the hormones balancing out causing me a bit of misery these past couple of days with my cycle. I'm still shocked that it came back on it's own with no medication. Being someone with pcos, I just kind of accepted that it wouldn't ever happen.

Hunger has not been an issue and I'm starting to feel little differences in the shape of my body, and I can see them in my face. This is all so motivating and is quite honestly the best thing I've done in years. I only wish I had found this way of eating 15 years ago. I won't dwell on the past though. I'm fully focused on my future right now.

This week omad will be interrupted for 3 days while I do a juice cleanse with a friend. I do NOT advocate juice cleanses because, #1, I'm not a Dr. #2 I think our bodies do wonderfully at cleaning themselves out if we treat them right and feed them good things. However, my friend needs support, and I'm the person who puts her life on hold to help other people. I do have to say though that I'm curious about it. I want to see if it does anything, if it makes me feel different, and the biggest reason, I want to see if I can do it. I think it will be more difficult than fasting on water because of the insulin spikes caused by the juices. I hope I don't reverse any of the progress I've made so far with omad. Again, I do NOT recommend juice cleanses, especially with the research articles I've been reading. I wouldn't even mention it, but it could have an effect on my weight for next week, so I wanted to be honest about what my next week will involve. I will be under my calorie goal by about 200 each day since the juices each day equal about 1,010 calories.

Weekly weight check on omad:
02/26/18 - 254.6 lbs
03/05/18 - 251.8 lbs
03/12/18 - 251.0 lbs
03/19/18 - 246.6 lbs
03/26/18 - 243.8 lbs - down 10.8 lbs in 4 weeks.

Congrats Agathist, that's nearly 11 lbs. Please keep up posted on how the juicing is working for you. I'm thinking about doing a juice with spinach, kale, cucumber, apples, and watermelon. What are you juicing?

Thank you :) I'm definitely happy with the progress I'm making.

Are you just wanting to add juice to your omad? If so then I would probably make a smoothie with it and not a juice, just to keep the fiber in there. The ones I was adding to my omad were just spinach, strawberries, and water. I only did it twice because I think that's what set off my spleen and kidneys. I've avoided spinach since and I'm feeling a lot better.

The juices I'm using for the cleanse are pre-made and being shipped fresh to me overnight the day before the cleanse. They have a variety of fruits and vegetables in them. I won't be adding juice to my omad though, aside from the 4 ounces of pure cranberry juice I've been drinking to help with the kidneys. I still do not recommend juice cleanses, and I don't think I'll change my mind after doing one. But at least I'll be able to say I did one when I'm telling people they don't need to do it.

So I'd say smoothies in addition to your omad is a good idea if you're just trying to get more fruits and veggies in. Personally I'd avoid just juice because I think it would just make me feel hungry since it takes no time at all to digest. I hope that all makes sense. It is just my opinion though.

Thank you :) I'm definitely happy with the progress I'm making.

Are you just wanting to add juice to your omad? If so then I would probably make a smoothie with it and not a juice, just to keep the fiber in there. The ones I was adding to my omad were just spinach, strawberries, and water. I only did it twice because I think that's what set off my spleen and kidneys. I've avoided spinach since and I'm feeling a lot better.

The juices I'm using for the cleanse are pre-made and being shipped fresh to me overnight the day before the cleanse. They have a variety of fruits and vegetables in them. I won't be adding juice to my omad though, aside from the 4 ounces of pure cranberry juice I've been drinking to help with the kidneys. I still do not recommend juice cleanses, and I don't think I'll change my mind after doing one. But at least I'll be able to say I did one when I'm telling people they don't need to do it.

So I'd say smoothies in addition to your omad is a good idea if you're just trying to get more fruits and veggies in. Personally I'd avoid just juice because I think it would just make me feel hungry since it takes no time at all to digest. I hope that all makes sense. It is just my opinion though.
Yes, I'd like to add the juice to my omad. I find smoothies and juices so refreshing before my OMAD.

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
Way to go Agathist! Very happy for you! I feel the same way you do about wishing I would have been doing omad a long time ago. It would have saved me a lot of heartache:)

Weekly Update # 5... Or I should call this my week 5 failure update...

Ok, so I definitely do not recommend deviating from omad for foolish reasons. I was going to do the juice fast mainly to support my friend, but she quit on the morning of day one after tasting each of the daily juices, and so I tasted them too, and they were not good. i managed to drink half of one of them and felt like I was going to vomit. So I decided not to force myself to feel sick all week for something I didn't believe in in the first place.

So that messed up my Wednesday fast and I ate to make my stomach feel better before I got sick from the juice. That set me off for a full day of eating. Thursday and Friday went alright, normal omad days. Then Saturday is my 18:6 day and it was going ok until Saturday night after I had already stopped eating I ended up eating a bunch of chips and candy. As soon as I woke up on Sunday I ate a piece of candy not even thinking and then ate all day. I overdid Easter dinner, but the worst part was all of the candy I had before and after it and then eating a meal later that night followed by more candy. I honestly don't even know how much candy I ate yesterday. I'd have to guess at least over 2k calories in candy and 2k calories in food. More than likely more. It was a bad food day.

My weight definitely reflects the difficulties I had this week and while I feel disappointed, I also know that I can settle down and get right back on track. I'm far from perfect, and I can almost guarantee that I will "mess up" again at some point in the future, but considering how I ate before starting omad, I still think I'm doing okay even though I had a 2.4 lb gain since last week.

Weekly weight check-in:
02/26/18 - 254.6 lbs
03/05/18 - 251.8 lbs
03/12/18 - 251.0 lbs
03/19/18 - 246.6 lbs
03/26/18 - 243.8 lbs
04/02/18 - 246.2 lbs - 8.4 lbs down overall in 5 weeks.