Less sleep can make you gain weight

There are 3 shifts of work schedule in our office for those assigned in the operation. We always notice that when an employee that was working in the graveyard shift would be assigned to the day shift, he gained weight. It is like a culture in our office that if you want to gain weight then you can ask to be assigned to graveyard because you gain weight when you lack sleep. Is that true? My take is that those in graveyard would steal some time to sleep while on duty and they again sleep at home.

Lack of sleep really comes up with appetite. Since you lack exercice because you are on duty, you will gain weight. You keep on eating due to lack of sleep.

You might have discovered that night travellers feed most of the time. It is due to lack of sleep.

Last edited:
This is true, lack of sleep will cause hunger and gain of weight plus another health issue, it is recommended to sleep at least for eight hours a night.

It's true that if we sleep less it could increase hunger and appetite. Sleep deprivation can cause changes to our hormones that manages our hunger and appetite and lack of sleep can make you eat more which can lead to weight gain. This would not be beneficial to all especially the ones in any weight loss diet.

But I think not for some people like me. lack of sleep helps me to lose weight or somehow maintain it. My shifting schedules really have the big factor on my weight, I eat a lot and I only sleep 3 to 4 hours a day my stamina dropped off because of that.

This is well documented by many studies done on the internet. Also if you try it out yourself you will see that it is absolutely true. If you get no or very little sleep you, are tired the following day and you tend to want to eat all the time. You also crave foods that are high in fat and high in sugar that are sure to make you gain the weight.If you are on OMAD it becomes impossible to stay the full 23 hours without food because you are always tired and hungry,

This is well documented by many studies done on the internet. Also if you try it out yourself you will see that it is absolutely true. If you get no or very little sleep you, are tired the following day and you tend to want to eat all the time. You also crave foods that are high in fat and high in sugar that are sure to make you gain the weight.If you are on OMAD it becomes impossible to stay the full 23 hours without food because you are always tired and hungry,
When we are on OMAD, our body restores itself while we are sleeping and fasting overnight. Regardless of what time we are awake and what time we sleep, our body needs to have that same time for restoration and fatburning. If the person on a night schedule can still keep their eating and sleeping times correct, then it should still work fine.
It can be hard to do this if your shifts change around. I remember working for one place that did this, and there was so much that I needed to do during the day when I should have been sleeping, that I was pretty sleep-deprived. I don’t think that I gained any weight because of it, because I was either working, busy , or sleeping; so I probably was eating the same , or maybe less than usual at that time in my life.

Yes, it's true. I was in graveyard shift last two weeks. Nigth sleep is totally different than Day sleep. Even I sleep at day I still feel lack of energy so I tend to eat a lot. I drink coffee a lot too. I notice that I also gain 1.5 + kilos in just two weeks of irregular sleep. Lack of sleep really can affext our metabolism and cause us to feel hunger. Luckily, I will finish my graveyard shift next week so I still have a week to endure this.

I have seen and heard of some people losing weight when they don't sleep although I think that may be a case of not sleeping much and also not eating much at the same time. It's probably different for everyone, but I do feel hungry when I go through the day with not enough sleep, and I tend to eat more as I've observed which is why I try as much as possible to just sleep at the proper time as much as possible.

How odd. I never made the connection between lack of sleep and weight gain. I just thought it was age creeping up on me and my sedentary lifestyle. I don't sleep very well and it could be that is also contributing to my weight gain. I'm not significantly overweight. Just overweight enough to not feel very comfortable. That's why I was happy to find this forum and read up on what others are doing to lose weight.

Well it depends, sleep deprivation may cause weight gain or weight loss. Either way, for me it is still not healthy because sleep is significant to keep our body healthy. With lack of sleep, the chemicals that signal our body that we are already full is off balance. Hence, it is more likely for us to crave and eat more. But to some people, they would crave more to rest than to eat. Maybe that's why they lose weight. But then again, it's unhealthy.

Well it depends, sleep deprivation may cause weight gain or weight loss. Either way, for me it is still not healthy because sleep is significant to keep our body healthy. With lack of sleep, the chemicals that signal our body that we are already full is off balance. Hence, it is more likely for us to crave and eat more. But to some people, they would crave more to rest than to eat. Maybe that's why they lose weight. But then again, it's unhealthy.

I agree. It still depends on the person's lifestyle. Some gain weight because of lack of activity or exercise. When I was in graveyard shift, I was sleepy all the time and used to get up only to eat and then go back and get some sleep again. I also tend to binge on food to keep me awake during the shift. But that was when I was new to work. After some time, I got used to working late and I sleep and eat like most people do and able to do some activities like household chores.

Not getting enough sleep is definitely not healthy and it might cause some health complications. Maybe it is the instinct of the human body to compensate the lack of sleep by getting more food to fuel the body’s mechanism, so to speak. When there is lack of food and lack of sleep that is disastrous to the body. That’s why OMAD practitioners should be getting enough sleep since there is already lack of food after the window period.

This is actually a big part of why I got started with OMAD. After I had my second child I was getting less sleep that ever, and found myself relying on food for energy, in a really unhealthy way. Eating chocolates, cookies, and all other manner of junk foods just to get through the day. Interestingly I've found that OMAD has actually helped me feel more rested - I used to toss and turn a lot before bed but these days I can fall asleep much easier, too.

Lack of sleep can lead to a whole plethora of chronic issues—everything from drastic weight gain/loss, depression, anxiety, and worse. As someone who has had to deal with sleep issues for most of his life, I can tell you first hand just how important sleep can be.

I’ve only recently taken full control of my sleep schedule, and it was all thanks to improving my sleep hygiene. Once the sun goes down, I turn on a blue light filter on my computer in order to trigger melatonin production in my brain. Before going to bed, I take an ice-cold shower, meditate for a half hour, and then read a book for another half hour.

Most importantly, I go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends. All these help ensure that I get a quality eight hours of sleep.

I believe lack of sleep can really lead to weight gain. I noticed that before now when I always needed to finish my projects late at night I will feel very hungry along the way and sometimes end up getting myself some night noodles which adds to my caloric intake but since I have resolved to sleep early and no more late night projects I sleep throughout without feeling hungry or grabbing any food apart from my eating period. So I will believe less sleep will definitely cause us to gain more weight unless one can be so disciplined about taking in more calories while awake.

Generally, sleeping less isn't healthy for one's health because you will end up feeling dizzy and worn every day especially in the morning period. There are cases of increase in one's blood pressure as a result of having less night sleep, so it's very important to take a good sleep during the night in order to spare one health complications.

Several scientific studies show that there is a direct relationship between sleep deprivation (insomnia) and weight gain and obesity. There are many reasons for this and there are a number of other studies that investigate these relationships. One of them would be the fact that lack of sleep alters human metabolism and the sensation of hunger arises, hence, the so-called "refrigerator assaults" take place.

Only a few hours of sleep reduce levels of leptin (satiety hormone), increase levels of ghrelin (hunger hormone), and cause fatigue and increase opportunities to get food. These factors increase hunger, reduce energy expenditure and increase the intake of foods with high energy density, resulting in weight gain. Thus, individuals with deregulated sleep end up entering a vicious cycle, in which they will become increasingly tired and less disposed to exercise.

One way to try to reverse this picture would be to regulate your sleep, keeping in mind that on average the number of hours ideal for daily sleep, to repair the energies spent would be, for the adult individual, between 6 and 8 hours. However, there is still no agreement on how many hours each individual needs sleep per day, as there are several variables of human organisms.

It is like a culture in our office that if you want to gain weight then you can ask to be assigned to graveyard because you gain weight when you lack sleep. Is that true?
That is not true.

It could be the placebo effect which gets people who believe they'll gain weight to actually gain weight because they believe they will. They unconsciously do others things which will make them be fatter.

That said, I get less two hours of sleep each day and I've never gained weight because of that. Or maybe it could because I regularly fast intermittently but I don't think so.