Is it safe to drink Vitamin and Mineral Supplements on an empty stomach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it is advisable to use supplements with your stomach having at least something, I feel supplements can be taken even before taking meals. If you get problems after taking supplements on an empty stomach, you need to change.

Supplements are meant to be added. In the case of fuel additives, you need to have fuel first before adding the additives. In our case, one has to take in food first and then supplement those foods so that we can have a complete one. Reversing the order may probably have some ill effects like vitamin c which can make our tummies acidic if taken empty.

Have you considered checking if you have an acidic stomach. I know that some medications are not good to take on an empty stomach like aspirin which has a side effect in the stomach. But for supplements which are generally laced with sweetener, it should not have an adverse effect on your stomach. If you get acidic stomach then your stomach may have been acidic before.

Supplements are meant to be added. In the case of fuel additives, you need to have fuel first before adding the additives. In our case, one has to take in food first and then supplement those foods so that we can have a complete one. Reversing the order may probably have some ill effects like vitamin c which can make our tummies acidic if taken empty.

That has certainly some sense to it, I think so too that eating or having a meal first before drinking supplements is better than taking it before meals.

I used to work for a nutritional supplement company so I have some insight into this. Taking supplements on a full or empty stomach generally isn’t going to impact how they’re absorbed, but different people are going to have different reactions depending on the dosage and types of vitamins/minerals.

I personally don’t have any problems with taking even the most potent doses on an empty stomach, but my mother experiences mild nausea at even the weakest of multivitamins. If you’re experiencing symptoms of nausea, heart burn, or indigestion, it’s advised that you take the vitamins with food.

As I said, taking them with or without food won’t inhibit or improve their potency or solubility.

Why do doctors always indicate in their prescriptions to take antibiotics and vitamin supplements after each meal? I believe that the body absorbs it better when your full.

It depends if the supplement require you to eat or not before taking it. But to be safe it's better to eat something first. Consulting a doctor is also a god choice so that he/she can advice you if it's okay for you to take that supplement. But if you have already consult a doctor but your stomach still feel upset then it's better to go to the doctor again for further checkup or you can just stop using it.

The answer is no, you should eat something first and take the supplements only if it is necessary, an advise from a doctor would be necessary before to take any vitamins or supplements.

I was sick last week and I don't have some company in the house. They happen had an occasion downtown. I hardly get up in my bed that's why I can't cook and just eat some yogurt and banana. I did take some Medicine and my stomach was so upset. And also I think that the medicine is not effective if you take it without eating.

It is always best to take any supplements with at least a little food, if at all possible. I try to take my vitamin supplement during my one meal of the day; but if that is not possible for some reason, then what I do is have a cup of coffee with heavy cream, since that is very low carb and does not spike insulin, yet still adds something into the stomach.

When we eat food, our body knows that it is supposed to digest it, so we make all of the necessary digestive enzymes to process the food and get the nutrients out of it and into our body.
However, when you are only swallowing a vitamin capsule, our body has no idea that it is food, so sometimes it can just pass right through our digestive system, and we never get the benefits of the vitamins.

As long as you are having even a little of some kind of food, then the supplement should be properly digested, but taking it with a meal is the very best way if you can do that.

I'm wondering if it's really okay to drink Vitamin and Mineral Supplements on an empty stomach? It's because sometimes I get an upset stomach when I drink it before meal time.

What a very sensible question and many of the answers provided are very sensible and practical. A few people have what I call "iron stomachs". They can eat or drink anything and nothing bothers them. But I'm not one of those people. Unless I am specifically instructed to not take something on a full stomach, even if I just eat a slice of bread or a cracker before taking the medication, vitamin, etc., that is what's best for me.

I have been advised by my doctor not to take supplements with empty stomach so as not triggers heat burn or bring out irritation or nausea.So it better with food in the stomach to aids easy absorption into one's system.So if one is to avoid all forms of gastric disturbances it better supplements be taken with food in the stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.