How Should You Break The Intermittent Fasting?

You have had a whole 23 hours of fasting and has arrived at the 1 hour of eating. Do you just start gulping the food down or there is a way how you should do it?

I have seen people begin by taking porridge. Yet others eat dates. What do you recommend?

I recommend to drink a cup of water first. It helps you body to prepare your intake of food. You can also eat fruits first before meal. I have read some research that vitamins from fruits were absorbed more by the body if they're eaten first before the meal. But what I usually do is drink a cup of water first, it also helps me to control my intake of food. Since drinking could make me feel full helping me to lessen my meal.

I start by eating fruits first for a few reasons. I do it this way just to prepare my stomach for the meal and to serve as a bit of a gentle warm up, but also because I don't like eating fruits at the end of my meal so I eat it first instead. Also, I think it helps me feel fuller faster, because if I just ate fruits last I would have already eaten much more probably whereas since I'm eating my fruits first and having lots of it, I feel like I've already eaten a good portion of my meal already.

I usually don’t find it all that difficult to break a 23-hour fast, since 23 hours isn’t really that significant of a fast. It’s usually the 72 hour fasts that I find to be more difficult, as putting just about anything into your stomach besides water can be downright painful sometimes.

In any case, I have a standard procedure for fasts of just about any length. I typically start out by having a light bone broth with two eggs cooked into it (also known as egg drop soup), followed by a protein and fat heavy meal, such as a fatty cut of pork or chicken thighs with the skin on.

That’s when I’m on keto at least. If I’m not doing keto, I usually opt for something lighter like brown rice with grilled chicken breast and fruit.

I recommend to drink a cup of water first. It helps you body to prepare your intake of food. You can also eat fruits first before meal. I have read some research that vitamins from fruits were absorbed more by the body if they're eaten first before the meal. But what I usually do is drink a cup of water first, it also helps me to control my intake of food. Since drinking could make me feel full helping me to lessen my meal.

Your method of taking water before eating anything after the fast is very important. Fruits too work well for the metabolism. Dates are good fruits when it comes to breaking the fast. OMAD is a great lesson. It teaches anybody ready to.

Fluids would be one of the best ways to start with breaking your fast as it would help to put your digestive system in the best condition of assimilate food.

I also make use of eating fruits such as water melons, apple, cucumbers and paw-paw. If I have time to blend these fruits, it would be better.

People have different reasons for enjoying their an hour meal time and it simply means doing what you enjoy till it starts working for you. As far as I am concerned, the best way that we are going to ensure that we make it work is by keeping to the rules of life which states that you have to do anything that works for you. There are people that drink a lot of water before eating their meal while others start with fruits, so it depends on how your body reacts to different situations.

People have different reasons for enjoying their an hour meal time and it simply means doing what you enjoy till it starts working for you. As far as I am concerned, the best way that we are going to ensure that we make it work is by keeping to the rules of life which states that you have to do anything that works for you. There are people that drink a lot of water before eating their meal while others start with fruits, so it depends on how your body reacts to different situations.

After long hours of depriving thr body/stomach any sort of meal, the condition of the belly would be very fragile and as a result of that, you are not expected to gubble in hard food immediately you are done with your fasting. Normally, some people would say drink water but I think it's more better to go with fruits because they serves double purpose at one. It will helps to break your fast and can serve as food as well.

You have had a whole 23 hours of fasting and has arrived at the 1 hour of eating. Do you just start gulping the food down or there is a way how you should do it?

I have seen people begin by taking porridge. Yet others eat dates. What do you recommend?
I suggest not to gulp big portion of food first. Gradual intake of food is the best.
For me, I drink a warm tea or drink water first. It depends on your preference. One hour is an ample time to let your self everything you need for the next 23 hours so, I believe that I should not hurry myself too fast. Eat like your usual course, start with appetizer the so on, just like eating a full course.
As I am doing my OMAD diet, I take my full one hour eating because I believe that I deserve it. But one hour does not over eating but it means that I am taking my time savoring the food that I eat.

I usually don’t find it all that difficult to break a 23-hour fast, since 23 hours isn’t really that significant of a fast. It’s usually the 72 hour fasts that I find to be more difficult, as putting just about anything into your stomach besides water can be downright painful sometimes.

In any case, I have a standard procedure for fasts of just about any length. I typically start out by having a light bone broth with two eggs cooked into it (also known as egg drop soup), followed by a protein and fat heavy meal, such as a fatty cut of pork or chicken thighs with the skin on.

That’s when I’m on keto at least. If I’m not doing keto, I usually opt for something lighter like brown rice with grilled chicken breast and fruit.

The 72 hours fast stretch is very difficult to keep going on consistently. I have tried it on several occasions and I must confess that sometimes it felt like I was going to pass out. I had to draw the curtain on 72 hours fasting and stick with 23 hours. I meet the result I seek for with 23 hours fasting, so I don't see the need to put myself in tight spot with 72 hours food break.

If a person is doing intermittent fasting but still eating each day for one meal, as we do in OMAD, there really is not any problem with being concerned about what we can eat. I have read that when a person is doing a cleanse, or longer fast, then it is important to start out with drinking broth, or something that is easy for the stomach to digest, and slowly come back to full meals.
I am eating one meal each day, so I basically just try to choose foods that are healthy and provide good nutrition for my body, and then eat just what would be a normal amount of food.
I started the intermittent fasting by first eating a low carb/Keto Diet, and that stopped the food cravings, and then I just began cutting down on my daily meals until I am now having the one meal each day.

Last edited:
I start by eating fruits first for a few reasons. I do it this way just to prepare my stomach for the meal and to serve as a bit of a gentle warm up, but also because I don't like eating fruits at the end of my meal so I eat it first instead. Also, I think it helps me feel fuller faster, because if I just ate fruits last I would have already eaten much more probably whereas since I'm eating my fruits first and having lots of it, I feel like I've already eaten a good portion of my meal already.

Fruits can very much serve as meal to someone who isn't a heavy eater. I'm not surprised when you say eating fruits makes you feel like you have already taken your meal because my work colleague have being on fruits for 2 years now as her dinner and it sustains her.

The 72 hours fast stretch is very difficult to keep going on consistently. I have tried it on several occasions and I must confess that sometimes it felt like I was going to pass out. I had to draw the curtain on 72 hours fasting and stick with 23 hours. I meet the result I seek for with 23 hours fasting, so I don't see the need to put myself in tight spot with 72 hours food break.

72-hour fasts aren’t for everyone, but they aren’t really all that necessary either. The main reason that I’ve ever really even done 72-hour fasts is for the sake of jumpstarting the process of getting into ketosis before I start a ketogenic diet.

The first 48 hours are usually the most difficult with the most cravings, but then on the third day practically all the hunger goes away as your body slowly starts to adapt to using your own body fat for fuel. Then you start introducing keto friendly, high-fat and low-carb foods to keep pushing your body towards an optimal state of ketosis.

Like I said, it’s not for everyone so people need to do their own tests to find out what works for them.

72-hour fasts aren’t for everyone, but they aren’t really all that necessary either. The main reason that I’ve ever really even done 72-hour fasts is for the sake of jumpstarting the process of getting into ketosis before I start a ketogenic diet.

The first 48 hours are usually the most difficult with the most cravings, but then on the third day practically all the hunger goes away as your body slowly starts to adapt to using your own body fat for fuel. Then you start introducing keto friendly, high-fat and low-carb foods to keep pushing your body towards an optimal state of ketosis.

Like I said, it’s not for everyone so people need to do their own tests to find out what works for them.

Exactly! Just like you pointed out, everyone should know their limit and what they are capable of doing or how long they can go with fasting because once you exceed your breaking point, it's certainly not going to bear any positive effect on your health.

I break my fast with very light food like a ball of akara and light pap since I have been taking intermittent water,so I will just wet my appetite with something light before taking my meal for the day but some days I would break with fruits and I will good to take another things like beans and vegetable sauce for a meal.

I also love to take some water which in my own belief helps to prepare the digestive system to be active. I would highly advice anyone to avoid taking food just directly after the fasting window without having to take something light to start with. It can be problematic and there are numerous things one can choose such as fruits, smoothies. etc.

I break my fast with very light food like a ball of akara and light pap since I have been taking intermittent water,so I will just wet my appetite with something light before taking my meal for the day but some days I would break with fruits and I will good to take another things like beans and vegetable sauce for a meal.

I had to go purchase a good blender today because of how good a smoothie I drank few days ago tasted. So, I took the liberty of making my own fruit smoothie which I used to break my today's fasting. I had a combination of 5 different fruits blended all together and it tasted so good.

I had to go purchase a good blender today because of how good a smoothie I drank few days ago tasted. So, I took the liberty of making my own fruit smoothie which I used to break my today's fasting. I had a combination of 5 different fruits blended all together and it tasted so good.
That's taste great I'm sure,I have had my blender ages ago for my different fluids when I need them but I just prefer plain water now.I just want to give my self a break from other stuffs and just go with water and my food now.

As a long way as any meals goes, it’s usually better to consume the most nutritious, fresh, complete and natural local foods you can, whenever one could breaking a fast or not. Regardless of this common feel you’re going to have to determine what kind of diet works great to your personal lifestyle alternatives and other intentions.

That's taste great I'm sure,I have had my blender ages ago for my different fluids when I need them but I just prefer plain water now.I just want to give my self a break from other stuffs and just go with water and my food now.

My advice is to just go for anything that works for you as long as it's something healthy especially when it's connected with what you eat and drink. This is actually one of the purpose of OMAD in helping us know what to eat and when to eat them once in a day.