How do you deal with holidays on the omad diet?

Almost everyone celebrates holidays in different countries. There is only one thing in common: increased food intake. In the Philippines, the most special holidays are Christmas and New year. We celebrate it by cooking all our favorite foods and the almost irreplaceable, roasted pig. I always gain weight during this time. What do you do in order to counter this? I always seem to forget my diet. I have this mindset that after the holidays I will do my diet.

Last edited:
The most difficult days to me are holidays or special occasions that I have to attend to. In this cases, I eat and forget the fast for a while. I dont eat too much just a regular meal I usually have. I dont want people to be awkward to me, or me vice versa if I didnt eat at all. After the occassion, I'm having a week or two full time schedule in the gym. That is how I deal with it.

I have the same mindset. I always cut my diet during special holidays because I don't want to seem like a kill-joy to my family members. I am a family oriented person and even if someone calls me irresponsible or whatever, I don't care because I would really want to show my Mom that I am enjoying the food she prepared for me without hesitations. Although, I also make sure that after the dinner, I would only eat a little on the following day because special occasions like Christmas and New Year Holidays are only about dinners and on the next day, you will only eat the left overs and I eat only a little of those just to compensate from eating too much.

The most difficult days to me are holidays or special occasions that I have to attend to. In this cases, I eat and forget the fast for a while. I dont eat too much just a regular meal I usually have. I dont want people to be awkward to me, or me vice versa if I didnt eat at all. After the occassion, I'm having a week or two full time schedule in the gym. That is how I deal with it.
The first part- same sis! As for the gym - nope :D I am to lazy! I do the exercise like nothing happened. As for the author- Don't stress yourself and eat that Thanksgivings turkey!

The holidays are notorious for making everyone put on a couple of pounds. It’s actually a common and fairly accepted excuse to blame winter weight on the holidays and cold weather. That being said, I’ve personally found that I don’t actually put on a lot of weight during the holidays/winter.

I’ve found that the only secret is to just restrict your portions. You don’t have to completely ditch the delicious holidays meals. There’s a time for fasting and a time for feasting, and it would be quite rude to your friends and family to avoid eating because you’re on OMAD.

I’d enjoy the food like everyone else, but it doesn’t mean I have to be a glutton. Moderate portions and self-control are the keys to success.

I plan to have my meals during my eating window at least I will be busy and still end up eating during my eating period.i know merriment in my home begins mostly from noon so I will not lose out much since it will still be closer to my eating window which is always around 2-4 pm.

I treat holidays as my cheat days and I always look forward to it. Though I read some articles that say that having cheat days are not advisable and will mess up your diet, I don't mind it as long as I am eating regular portions of the meal. For me, it doesn't matter if you have cheat days as your "detour", as long as you keep going, you are on still the right track.

I treat holidays as my cheat days and I always look forward to it. Though I read some articles that say that having cheat days are not advisable and will mess up your diet, I don't mind it as long as I am eating regular portions of the meal. For me, it doesn't matter if you have cheat days as your "detour", as long as you keep going, you are on still the right track.
It makes me guilty of having cheat days. But I cannot refuse the delicious foods, especially if they have you in mind when they made it. It is rude to not eat the food they prepared. It would make me guilty but happy.

The first part- same sis! As for the gym - nope :D I am to lazy! I do the exercise like nothing happened. As for the author- Don't stress yourself and eat that Thanksgivings turkey!
In my case, eventhough I feel lazy I still urge myself to go exercise. I easily get fat. And it takes to long to lost the fats again. So I really help myself every after occasions or else it's harder.

The reality is that it may not look easy for you during this period of celebration that is coming up, but the fact remains that it is something that you should work on achieving. While you may try to cheat on your diet during this period, it is necessary that you don't do it much to avoid gaining a lot of weight afterwards.

That is what I fear the most. Truly holidays here in the Philippines are fun and full of different foods, foods that are very tempting and too delicious to resist. I also fear that I would probably forget my diet and continously eat such foods that will ruin my diet. One solution that I thought in order to still have my control on my meal, is to stay away from the tablea and on looking at the foods. On that way, I might have a chance to fight this craving over and remain on track towards my goal.

What works for me , is to make a plan, and then follow that plan. It is better to make a decision that you will have certain holiday meals, and then maybe fast a little longer on other days when the food is not special holiday food.
If you say that you are not going to partake of any holiday celebrations, and then you do anyway, then you feel guilty because you didn’t follow through on what you were going to do.
If you acknowledge that you are going to have certain days that will not be OMAD, and you are just going to eat the holiday meals, then you can enjoy the food, and still not overeat on any of it, which is a good modification between the two extremes.
I think that , especially during the long holiday season that seems to almost run from Thanksgiving (here in the United States) all the way through Christmas and New Years, people often have family gatherings, and other times when you can’t really just refuse to eat with everyone else; so it is better to recognize this and plan for it ahead of time.
There is always those long cold days of January and February that we can fast and make up for holiday feasts.

Almost everyone celebrates holidays in different countries. There is only one thing in common: increased food intake. In the Philippines, the most special holidays are Christmas and New year. We celebrate it by cooking all our favorite foods and the almost irreplaceable, roasted pig. I always gain weight during this time. What do you do in order to counter this? I always seem to forget my diet. I have this mindset that after the holidays I will do my diet.
One thing that I do is I overeat during my window and keep off the meals before my window. During the celebrities and before my time I take fluids and a bit of fruits.

It is challenging at times.

One thing I know from experience is that attempting too hard to stick a dieting plan, especially during the holidays when everyone is stuffing themselves could get you to snap when you least expect it. The temptation will be right there all the time and even if you get through but fall off the wagon afterwards, the temptation to overcompensate will be too great to resist. The result would be binge-eating which would be more detrimental than enjoying the delicacies in moderation as it has been suggested.

During the holidays, go with the flow. You can always get back to OMAD afterwards. It's less than two weeks off the diet after all. It won't affect you that much.

Holidays are extremely difficult if you're during an OMAD diet, because everyone will be trying to feed you and give you as much as possible. People don't understand that being on a diet is like meditation. You can't be distracted. Obviously holiday food is numerous, and mostly delicious, so it's hard to resist. During an OMAD diet I'd recommend staying away from the dining table, even if you're there just for pure company.

Holiday season brings the circle of relatives together. Spend extra time talking with cherished ones that eating. Divert your attention from the meals and focus on socializing. An excellent communication is both stress and calorie free, enjoy it.

I do eat when it is holidays because this will be the only time to eat more celebratory foods and you get to socialize with your relatives and friends using food. You can release those fats later just don't eat too much in your capacity.

I've had too many holidays where I promised to go back to my diet afterwards but never did. Holidays are a serious setback for me whenever I'm on a diet. that's why I always go for it in the new year, include it in my New Year's resolutions, and would have to worry about the "Diet-Stopper" holidays in 12 months. Christmas is the worst for me, I can never resist the temptation then. But I guess this new resolve of mine will be put to the test this time.

The holidays are an extreme challenge indeed when it comes to OMAD. Personally, I have made peace with the fact that there will be days when I will be breaking my OMAD rule, and that is okay. During holidays, family gatherings are inevitable, and most of the time you really can't say no when your relatives offer you food. What we can do, I guess, is to schedule your "cheat" days. Mark them on your calendar so you will have an idea on the number of cheat days and so you can regulate them well. Give yourself and your family some slack and just enjoy; after all, Christmas and New Year happen only once a year. Of course, keep in mind to still keep everything in moderation. Control your portions, and if you really feel guilty afterwards, you can probably do extended fasting after the holidays to make up for your cheat days.

Great topic to discuss. The holiday season in my Country officially begins from December the 1st. That's when all the Christmas parties begin. I've decided to indulge when invited somewhere and begin fasting the next day. From the 23rd of December to the 2nd week of January I'm off OMAD. I think its better for me than always having to constantly fight against indulging. I plan to also do the 16-8 protocol and to try and have as much protein as I can during this period. In the second week of January, I'll go right back to OMAD. I think this is the best I can do for myself. I think to keep to a certain way of eating you need to be flexible.