Fasting by drinking beer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you heard about these group of monks who brew their beer inside the seminary and drink it during lent when they are forbidden to eat anything? The story goes that these beers can sustain their hunger in more ways than one because of its malt ingredient. But going back to the idea of fasting with beer, is it worth the try? Or too risky perhaps? Anyone who knows about this fasting and beer stuff, please share.

I never suggest anyone to drink beer while on their diet.Rather preferred to drink nutritious food such as smoothies.

Haven't heard about them, but I'd rather not try it because you have a lot of other food that you can eat while on a diet, why would you risk your health and not eating food for beer?

I haven't heard of that story. For me, I don't want beer with my diet because it causes me a fat and bloated stomach. Whenever I drink beer, it makes me feel like I am bloated for several hours. You could drink beer occasionally but not for diet.

I think this was a risky method since they were not eaten at all, I would not suggest this method to anyone in present time.

I haven't heard of it but i think it's interesting. Although i love beer, i still think beer alone will not sustain you enough nutrition for the day. Also beer is alcoholic so it may have an effect on your body and stomach.

Fascinating. I don't think this makes sense though. Fasting involves not having any calories Doesn't beer have calories?I know its better than having a meal. I don't think beer would curb hunger. Haven't you ever had a night out where you overindulge, when you come home you can honestly eat a horse? I think beer increases your appetite if I'm not wrong. However interesting diet if it works for them, let them keep do it. Some people!Any excuse to drink!Lol.

It is my first time hearing it. Is it true? i am sorry but I just can't believe it. I am not a fan of alcoholic drinks so I refrain on consuming it. If this fasting by drinking beer thing is true, I will never ever do that. In my own opinion I don't think beer can be of that help. And I know that alcoholic drinks can only do bad in our body.

You might end up in the hospital by doing this. Beer is not necessary if you don't have anything inside your stomach.

I never thought about that. I thought that when you are on a diet, you must drink water, tea, or black coffee only. Also, I don't drink beer.

It is interesting but I don't know what would be the effect for me. I think that would be too risky to try that. It requires some mental strength, I think. I think I will throw up when I drink beer without having any food in my stomach. You can lose weight by doing that but it is not healthy.

I've never heard of it, but probably what they are using has ingredients that don't ruin the fasting and it's probably way different from the beer sold in our stores if that is what they do. I think these types of ancient practices have some validity even if they may not have the proper scientific terms to explain it so I'm sure if that's what they do then there is some type of scientific reason behind it and that what they are drinking might only be technically called beer to use but probably is only loose terminology since as far as I know our beer has calories and also sugars or carbohydrates or something like that.

That's weird. I don't like the idea of fasting with beer. It's not for everyone. I'd rather fast using natural juice extracts from fruits and vegetables. It's much healthier that way. :)

I never suggest anyone to drink beer while on their diet.Rather preferred to drink nutritious food such as smoothies.

Me too. It's better to have them since they make up the essential parts of our diet. We gain more and risk less with smoothies compared to drinking beer an extended period of time.

I came from a family of drinkers. You can imagine our home with my father and 8 brothers drinking. It's not good to drink alcohol with an empty stomach. You will easily get drunk and in worse cases, you may collapse. Another issue in drinking beer on an empty stomach is the damage it can do to the liver. Sad to say that my father died of liver cancer.

I came from a family of drinkers. You can imagine our home with my father and 8 brothers drinking. It's not good to drink alcohol with an empty stomach. You will easily get drunk and in worse cases, you may collapse. Another issue in drinking beer on an empty stomach is the damage it can do to the liver. Sad to say that my father died of liver cancer.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too am not that enthusiastic about drinking beer. I prefer non-alcoholic beverages since they're practically the same minus the alcohol. I'd rather not risk my health by drinking this beverage. :)

Haven't heard about them, but I'd rather not try it because you have a lot of other food that you can eat while on a diet, why would you risk your health and not eating food for beer?

I know, right? I've felt the same way. It's not a nice idea. Some people actually have drinking problems. So this would definitely be in the list of stuff not to do.

I haven't heard of that story. For me, I don't want beer with my diet because it causes me a fat and bloated stomach. Whenever I drink beer, it makes me feel like I am bloated for several hours. You could drink beer occasionally but not for diet.

Yes, that's a better way to go about it. Beer is relatively fine when taken in moderation. The problem comes from people abusing it and drinking lots of it. Always maintain self-control.

I don't know if it's effective with this diet because beer makes me hungry and crave for beer food. Unlike other countries it's a tradition in mine to eat a lot of finger foods when drinking alcoholic beverages. Filipinos generally can't drink beer a lot without any food around.

Those monks have a totally different lifestyle altogether as compared to us. It might work for them for some reason, not entirely sure. But for us, definitely, it's not good to drink beer. It has always been known to make the tummy bigger and it's health risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.