Eating slowly

I am a slow eater. Some say that when I eat faster then I may gain more weight which means eating slowly is better than eating fast. However, I can see in my husband that he can maintain his weight because he is a fast eater. Whenever we dine together, I am still halfway and he is already finished with his meal. Now I am thinking that maybe I can improve my weight loss if I would eat faster.

I'm a slower ester too and I know it better that way, it not just about enjoying the food but we savour the food too when we eat slowly.I think eating faster will even increase ones weight because one would have taken in more food and more calories before one even realizes that he or she is full.Eating slowly makes me eat little and know when to stop without taking in more calories.

Well there is actually some logic behind why eating slowly would help you maintain your weight more easily. From the studies I’ve read, it apparently takes 20 minutes before your stomach sends your brain the signals which say “Okay, I’ve had enough. We can stop eating now.”

If you’re shoveling down your food, you might actually end up eating more than is really necessary. If you eat slower you’re going to give your brain the chance to realize “Oh, we’re full. We don’t need to finish this entire portion.”

Well there is actually some logic behind why eating slowly would help you maintain your weight more easily. From the studies I’ve read, it apparently takes 20 minutes before your stomach sends your brain the signals which say “Okay, I’ve had enough. We can stop eating now.”

If you’re shoveling down your food, you might actually end up eating more than is really necessary. If you eat slower you’re going to give your brain the chance to realize “Oh, we’re full. We don’t need to finish this entire portion.”
Yeah, this is exactly my thought. If you eat faster, you might eat more before realizing you are full. Eating slower will help us consume food just enough and not only that, when we eat slower we chew the food more and when we does, we also help our intestine to digest food easily.

I am a slow eater as well, I eat fast only when I am at work because I want to relax in my spare time. I don't think that weight has anything to do with the way we are eating.

I've heard that eating slower can help with curbing your appetite in a way because when you eat too quickly you may not get the signal of being full and by the time it hits you most likely have eaten more. However, eating slowly probably won't help too much if you don't pay too much attention to the feeling of fullness or when we continue to eat unhealthy food. If our meals are unhealthy then it probably doesn't matter as much whether we eat fast or slow.

I eat fast and leave the table quickly when I'm done. This helps curb my apetite and resist the urge of eating more than I need instead of sitting longer in front of the dining table. It depends on the person I think.

I'm a slower ester too and I know it better that way, it not just about enjoying the food but we savour the food too when we eat slowly.I think eating faster will even increase ones weight because one would have taken in more food and more calories before one even realizes that he or she is full.Eating slowly makes me eat little and know when to stop without taking in more calories.
i can clearly see what you mean and ifs relation to the main post. The slower you are then the more attentive you get to be in your eating habits. You can even calculate the total nutrients you will take when you focus on eating without a hurry.

I am a slow eater. Some say that when I eat faster then I may gain more weight which means eating slowly is better than eating fast. However, I can see in my husband that he can maintain his weight because he is a fast eater. Whenever we dine together, I am still halfway and he is already finished with his meal. Now I am thinking that maybe I can improve my weight loss if I would eat faster.
It is not a matter of slow or quick eaters. It is a matter of what you eat, the quantity, quality and balance. Once these are observed the better.

i can clearly see what you mean and ifs relation to the main post. The slower you are then the more attentive you get to be in your eating habits. You can even calculate the total nutrients you will take when you focus on eating without a hurry.
That's the whole essence of eating slowly it helps one to concentrate on the food eaten to avoid overeating.I have benefitted immensely from eating slowly because I get to know when I have finally filled to stop eating.

It is not a matter of slow or quick eaters. It is a matter of what you eat, the quantity, quality and balance. Once these are observed the better.

I agree. Some people are naturally slow or quick eaters. It still depends on the food intake. But we are always free to change ways if we learn which one will work for us better. The main concern is not the manner of eating but our healthy options in the food that we eat.

I agree. Some people are naturally slow or quick eaters. It still depends on the food intake. But we are always free to change ways if we learn which one will work for us better. The main concern is not the manner of eating but our healthy options in the food that we eat.
You are right. Yet slow and fast eating does not in any way say which is good or bad. I eat fast but that is my nature. Of late I browse and eat which slows my eating.

It can also depend on the scenario. You will eat slowly when relaxed at home more than when you are expected to meet up with sonmeone or late to an aoopintment.

That's the whole essence of eating slowly it helps one to concentrate on the food eaten to avoid overeating.I have benefitted immensely from eating slowly because I get to know when I have finally filled to stop eating.
Yeeah. You can easily control yourself when yoh have a habit of eating slowly. The amount of food that you take will then be easy to also check as you can stop at any time.

I try and eat slowly these days to just savor my food - especially when eating one meal a day I feel like enjoying what I eat during my eating window is paramount to my success. As others have mentioned, eating slowly also gives your brain time to realize it’s full so there are benefits there too.

It can also depend on the scenario. You will eat slowly when relaxed at home more than when you are expected to meet up with sonmeone or late to an aoopintment.

Thanks. I didn't take that to account. It depends where you're at. I'm generally a quick eater even at home. I will tend to eat more slowly if I'm eating out, hanging out and talking to friends because my attention then is diverted from food but again it depends if I'm really hungry. But what you said is true. It depends on the situation.

Faster and slow eating doesn't have anything to do with our body gaining more weight. I think metabolism is one of the culprit for us gaining more weight. The foods we eat and our lifestyle also dictate if we stay fit, overweight or malnourished.

Thanks. I didn't take that to account. It depends where you're at. I'm generally a quick eater even at home. I will tend to eat more slowly if I'm eating out, hanging out and talking to friends because my attention then is diverted from food but again it depends if I'm really hungry. But what you said is true. It depends on the situation.
Exactly. Though I love the fact that you pointed out that hunger is also a critical determinant. In some cases you might be in a hurry to eat and not mind the place or people around you just because you are extremely hungry. At some other times however even at home when not hungry it might take you forever to finish the food.

According to studies, slow eater tends to consume fewer calories and stay fuller longer than those fast eater. In addition, our stomach and brain take 20 minutes to figure out that we're already full. I am one of those people who eat slowly because I always wanted to chew my food properly. If not, it might give me indigestion and I will not also enjoy my food. For me, eating without enjoying your food is useless.
As I have said, I am a slow eater. However, I still gain weight because I highly believe that it still depends on what kind of food I eat. If most of the food I consume is high in calories or oily, most likely, I will gain weight. I think it is better to focus on the quality of the food we eat. Let's try our very best to eat clean and healthy foods because what we eat is who we are.

Faster and slow eating doesn't have anything to do with our body gaining more weight. I think metabolism is one of the culprit for us gaining more weight. The foods we eat and our lifestyle also dictate if we stay fit, overweight or malnourished.

This is the thing that many are failing to understand. I mean the way that we eat has got nothing to do with what we weighed last time as it is not contributing anything to our body size. Rather, the type of food that we eat is necessary for everything.