Drinking Broth: Does it mess with insulin levels? Can I drink it while fasting?

I see that on the site page here it talks about Vegetable broth as an alternative to water while fasting. Do any of you veteran OMAD'ers dare drink anything besides water, tea, lemon water, and coffee or coffee with cream?
(I don't drink coffee nor coffee with cream but read of some OMAD'ers who do.) Does anybody drink broth sometimes? This morning I did. I think it was perhaps the salt in there that was so satisfying. Speaking of which, I've read from another omad'er to put a pinch of salt in that first morning water. I can see this would be beneficial since all the liquids can wash out salts, and make it difficult to remain hydrated?

Last edited:

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
I see that on the site page here it talks about Vegetable broth as an alternative to water while fasting. Do any of you veteran OMAD'ers dare drink anything besides water, tea, lemon water, and coffee or coffee with cream?
(I don't drink coffee nor coffee with cream but read of some OMAD'ers who do.) Does anybody drink broth sometimes? This morning I did. I think it was perhaps the salt in there that was so satisfying. Speaking of which, I've read from another omad'er to put a pinch of salt in that first morning water. I can see who this would be beneficial since all the liquids can wash out salts, and make it difficult to remain hydrated?

Hi Shelly!

Yes – I highly recommend bone broth (I drink it myself). It contains many vitamins and minerals and can help with hunger as well. The other benefit is that you can add a pinch of sea salt to it. Other fluids on omad such as water, tea, coffee don’t have sodium and you can become dehydrated. Dehydration can to cramps and headaches during fasting.

Hi Shelly!

Yes – I highly recommend bone broth (I drink it myself). It contains many vitamins and minerals and can help with hunger as well. The other benefit is that you can add a pinch of sea salt to it. Other fluids on omad such as water, tea, coffee don’t have sodium and you can become dehydrated. Dehydration can to cramps and headaches during fasting.
Thanks Jimmy- It was amazing how much better it worked than water to put off hunger!

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE
Mushroom broth ( less than 5 calories per cup) did not trigger appetite.
Bone Broth= 45 calories per cup - triggered my appetite. Bummer.

Interesting. Thanks for the update Shelly. I had someone write me the other day and tell me they loved this as well. Keep us updated on this.

UPDATE
Mushroom broth ( less than 5 calories per cup) did not trigger appetite.
Bone Broth= 45 calories per cup - triggered my appetite. Bummer.
Thanks Shelly. This is really good to know. I haven't had bone broth since starting the OMAD but I have recently started consuming 2-3 mint or parsley leaves while doing OMAD.

Do you recommend drinking it in your fasting window or during your eating window??
Well, I drink it- just on some mornings when I'm super hungry- other mornings, when I'm not hungry I don't drink it. So it can be outside your eating window..

Ok, just curious how you do it.
I measure out 1 cup ( 8oz) and then I heat it in a mug and sip it - like I would coffee.... Last night I added a 1/2 a teaspoon of soy sauce- just for a tad more flavor last night --- since I was hungry last night I sipped some at night. The flavor was yummy- but I like salt, especially while fasting.

I do take bone broth but not as often as I take water. I know I try to stay hydrated through out the day so I sip a bit of water every now and then which will to keep me still my eating window.So yes one can still make do with bone broth.