Does yoga help you lose weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious is to the people that do yoga. Does it help you lose weight? I have done yoga for a month and all it has done is stretching me out more than anything. I do love yoga don’t get me wrong but I’ve been wanting to lose some of my baby weight that I still have.

I have read in another forum that yoga can be used to help you lose weight. I know that yoga is more of a mental discipline which reminds me of our college professor. He said that you can learn mind over matter techniques when you know yoga. And with OMAD, I guess yoga can be of help because you can condition your mind to ignore the cravings and that is the most important because in my experience, craving for food is what always defeated me in my diet program.

Yes,it does,I try to do yoga at least twice in 3 days and it has been useful,don't be in a haste to see changes. You should doubt changes after 3-4 months don't just a month duration.

Yeah i think so, mind and body co exist and one can have an effect on the other. Yoga helps the mind to relax and even have control over the body and there are methods you can use to make it more efficient.

Just a bit of caution in doing Yoga especially in the use of its mantra "Om". The whole thing is tied up to Buddhism and if one is not a Buddhist, one can fall into something that is an unknown territory. Basically Buddhism is a religion and the "Om" thing can be more than just a routine chant or counting thing similar to what we do in calisthenics. It can be a prayer to some entities and we might be drawn into something that is not within the realm of exercise. There is nothing wrong with yoga postures for as long as we do just the physical side of it and not indulge or go deeper into its spiritual sphere.

From what I've read yoga can only influence weight loss. Through yoga, we can burn fewer calories than traditional exercises like jogging, brisk walking, and running. However, yoga can increase a person's mindfulness and the way the person relates to their body.

Last edited:
Yes it does stimulate weight loss. An hour of yoga exercises can be equaled to an hour of gym practice. Yoga stretching exercises will work your body well. It develops your flexibility and burns unwanted fat.

Just a bit of caution in doing Yoga especially in the use of its mantra "Om". The whole thing is tied up to Buddhism and if one is not a Buddhist, one can fall into something that is an unknown territory. Basically Buddhism is a religion and the "Om" thing can be more than just a routine chant or counting thing similar to what we do in calisthenics. It can be a prayer to some entities and we might be drawn into something that is not within the realm of exercise. There is nothing wrong with yoga postures for as long as we do just the physical side of it and not indulge or go deeper into its spiritual sphere.

Appreciate your thoughts and comments. But I think many non-Buddhist Westerners have extracted the physical and mental benefits derived from practicing yoga without considering Buddha's teachings. That can be done. Many people follow the teachings of Christ without being a faithful disciple. They just find that many of the Christian teachings have a practical life application and can be universally applied.

I know yoga exactly it can help you in relaxation of mind, reduces stress, makes you calm and to have a peace of mind I also did yoga before but It doesn't help me to lose weight because I don't exert too much force just like in workout I just sit quietly while breathing the fresh air so for me yoga is a form of mental relaxation and not for losing of weights.

I’ve read several studies that mentioned yoga is great for heart health, but most medical professionals seem to agree that it isn’t exactly great for weight loss—at least not in a direct way.

The fact is that the average yoga routine can barely be considered an intensive exercise. Sure, there are some more extreme examples, but these are usually routines that aren’t exactly accessible to beginners.

However, yoga can indirectly influence weight loss in certain ways. Yoga can help with improving heart health, circulation, and reduce stress, and these are all key factors (particularly stress) which can drastically improve one's rate of weight loss.

I haven't tried it myself but just by looking at it I feel like it might probably help somewhat even though it may not be as effective as other more intensive exercises. From what I know, it doesn't seem to be for weight loss mostly but it does take a good amount of effort to stay still in different positions so there will definitely be some weight loss for that. I think it's better than nothing if it's what you can do for now as it is a low impact type of activity.

I think that weight loss will come as a secondary benefit with the primary one being helping yourself to maintain the perfect mental health. With that you will have more clarity over what you want in life and how to go for it. When you then decide to do activities that will help you minimize the weight your success will be much higher as you already have established the goal in the mind.

I have been doing yoga for almost a month now. One thing that most people get wrong about exercising is that it makes you lose weight FAST. It maybe true but when that is your mentality, losing weight will be a tough journey. I incorporate my OMAD diet to yoga because yoga makes you feel ZEN. I do yoga to relax my inner troubles. When I am in a good disposition, everything follows, I feel good with my day and I feel more energized to do more. Believe me when I say that I had weight problems. But the combination of OMAD diet and yoga suits me perfectly well. I lost a lot of weight gradually in the most healthy way. I took my time and I did not hurry.

Yes! yoga can help you lose weight but not in the way that other exercises and physical activities do. Weight loss comes with reduced intake of calories and burning calories due to physical activity. Hence if you are seeking to lose weight using yoga, you need to focus on the type. Power yoga is better than mind yoga in this case. Since yoga often focuses on strategic and core positions in the body.
Yoga is also not just physical activities of stretching and balancing but a complete way of life. Yoga can make you focus on the inside, listen to your body, help you relax etc. By so doing, you'll be making the right choices in diet, attitude, communication etc. This in general relates to healthy living. When you make it a regular habit, you'll notice the change.

I’ve read several studies that mentioned yoga is great for heart health, but most medical professionals seem to agree that it isn’t exactly great for weight loss—at least not in a direct way.

The fact is that the average yoga routine can barely be considered an intensive exercise. Sure, there are some more extreme examples, but these are usually routines that aren’t exactly accessible to beginners.

However, yoga can indirectly influence weight loss in certain ways. Yoga can help with improving heart health, circulation, and reduce stress, and these are all key factors (particularly stress) which can drastically improve one's rate of weight loss.

True. It does not necessarily have a direct effect to weight loss but it influence weight loss in different ways. Yoga is a mind-body workout that focuses on the mind. Yoga helps us focus and relax the system, it makes us happier. If the mind is at peace then the body follows.

I’m curious is to the people that do yoga. Does it help you lose weight? I have done yoga for a month and all it has done is stretching me out more than anything. I do love yoga don’t get me wrong but I’ve been wanting to lose some of my baby weight that I still have.

I agree with all that was said before and offer an alternative. It appears as though you're interested in low-impact workouts that offer weight loss properties. May I suggest swimming as a different exercise to do? This way you're burning calories and focusing on weight loss without the high impact that come with a lot of other exercises.

Honestly, somehow yoga did helped me in losing weight in terms of spending time doing it. Yoga will really consume more time compared to regular exercises. Spending time on yoga helps me have control in eating foods. On that way, I won't have too much time to think about eating. Well, that's on my perspective because that's how yoga helped me with losing weight.

I agree with you on the need for anyone that is doing yoga exercise to keep it simple. This is the only way that you can be able to sort things out in the best possible way as well.

I have read in another forum that yoga can be used to help you lose weight. I know that yoga is more of a mental discipline which reminds me of our college professor. He said that you can learn mind over matter techniques when you know yoga. And with OMAD, I guess yoga can be of help because you can condition your mind to ignore the cravings and that is the most important because in my experience, craving for food is what always defeated me in my diet program.
True. Yoga is for the relaxation of the mind and I agree with you that it might also hep you from defeating temptations. However, as per what I've read somewhere, Yoga is not an exercise for extreme weight loss as it does only stretch your body. However, it will definitely trim down some of your fats but not to the point where you'll really become skinny because based from what I've seen from our family's previous boss' daughter, she only had a health looking body but there were still traces of fats like on the belly side but they didn't look unhealthy at all.

Yes,it does,I try to do yoga at least twice in 3 days and it has been useful,don't be in a haste to see changes. You should doubt changes after 3-4 months don't just a month duration.
What kind of yoga? Do you just stretch (you know, the slow kind of yoga) or you do the HIT kind of yoga? I watched some videos on Youtube I find it quite hard. HIT yoga is quite similar to HIT cardio.

Status
Not open for further replies.