Dieting when not feeling well

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious if you are dieting and suddenly you became ill, would you continue dieting or would you stop first until you get better?

Personally, I'd stop first and consult my doctor about my situation. There's actually a possibility that the diet you're following is the reason for your illness. Might be that you're not consuming the nutrients that your body needs because of eating less or the types of food you're eating just to stay fit.

Last edited:
I would say that it is always better to quit and have a talk with your dietician or a medical doctor on whether to continue. The reason is that the drugs that you are taking might be the one that requires food to work better.

I think it's not a good idea to continue with the diet. It's wise to get a doctors advice before continuing, also it might get more worst once you neglected yourself from professional help.

I would definitely stop dieting at that point. Whatever I do in life, my health is always my top priority. When you're ill, your body needs more resources than usual in order to repair itself. Therefore, if you're depriving your body of those resources, it's bound to take a lot longer to recover.

Whenever I'm sick, I forget about any diets entirely, and I simply eat as much as my appetite allows me to. You'll notice that the illnesses that feel worst are the ones that don't allow you to eat, such as the stomach flu.

Providing extra fuel when sick is an important part of recovery.

You can always resume the diet later, so it's best if you just eat whatever is needed so that you can recover immediately. Dieting may only aggravate the disease and I don't want that.

I think it will be best to pause your diet and consult your doctor. There might be a chance that you became ill because of your diet plan. After consulting your doctor, you will know if you can continue your diet.
Remember that we are into getting ourselves fit and healthy. Our health must be our top priority.

No, if I would become ill I would stop my diet and try to heal myself and after I would recover myself I would restart the diet, keeping a diet while you are ill may harm irreversibly your health.

Your health might be compromised if you continue with your diet when you're ill. It's best to consult the doctor in this case and just resume with your diet if your doctor allow you to do so.

I'm just curious if you are dieting and suddenly you became ill, would you continue dieting or would you stop first until you get better?

If you are not the feeling well, it's very important to first take care of your health conditions, by possibly going to see your doctor and know exactly what is wrong with from getting tested. Once you have identified what is ailing you, then it's only right to take care of yourself and get better before going back to your dieting.

I would definitely stop dieting at that point. Whatever I do in life, my health is always my top priority. When you're ill, your body needs more resources than usual in order to repair itself. Therefore, if you're depriving your body of those resources, it's bound to take a lot longer to recover.

Whenever I'm sick, I forget about any diets entirely, and I simply eat as much as my appetite allows me to. You'll notice that the illnesses that feel worst are the ones that don't allow you to eat, such as the stomach flu.

Providing extra fuel when sick is an important part of recovery.

Exactly! Most of the body system organs performs below its efficiency mode when someone is of ill-health and cutting one's meal all in the name of dieting when one is sick should be totally scrubbed.

Take care of yourself first, eat well and take your medication and maybe in a few weeks times you are going to better to continue drinking where you left off with your dieting.

For me I would only consider dieting if I'm feeling good because I fear that dieting when I'm sick would only worsen my sickness because my energy levels are down. But others like my parents think that dieting and more so fasting can cure some illnesses that's why sometimes when we're down with flu, we lack the appetite to eat, according to them that's one way our body is telling us not to eat so that our system might rest and heal itself.

For me I would only consider dieting if I'm feeling good because I fear that dieting when I'm sick would only worsen my sickness because my energy levels are down. But others like my parents think that dieting and more so fasting can cure some illnesses that's why sometimes when we're down with flu, we lack the appetite to eat, according to them that's one way our body is telling us not to eat so that our system might rest and heal itself.

Exactly! I'm completely in support of how you feel about dieting when one is sick. In as much as dieting is for a good purpose but the health problem one is suffering from at the moment isn't going to be advisable to keep on dieting. So, it's very important to get better, take time off from dieting and regroup and gain your strength and energy back before dieting once more.

This is not advisable by any standards. For one, when one is sick, you're supposed to eat all amounts of food that will keep you warm while avoiding those that are fully unhealthy. One should seek medical attention and advice from a physician to get knowledge of what to eat and what to avoid.

This reminds me of a neighbor who was nearing the obesity level. She enrolled in a training program to lose weight fast. The program involves a diet and workout. It was effective because she had visible weight loss just after 2 weeks. Unfortunately, her body was already complaining that there were dizzy spells when doing the workout because she was hungry. And the time came that she collapsed and landed in the hospital. When you are not feeling well, I guess you have to quit your diet even for momentarily only.

I have had an experience like this and it was a matter of common sense for me to stop dieting and consult my physician. Sickness might come anytime and it might not be about the diet one is on but it just that one has gotten a flu from nowhere. It pertinent that one consult the physician and get treated first before returning to the diet.For me I got a fast treatment and 4 days later I was strong again to resume OMAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.