Covid-19 and High Fasting Blood Sugars

Hello again... It has been a considerable time since I visited here due perhaps to the fact that my weight had stabilised around where I wanted it to be and I was no longer classified as prediabetic having been "in remission" for several years.
I am not sufficiently naive to believe that this is not primarily due to OMAD and KETO which I initially followed religiously, but with the Covid-19 lockdown shenanigans I started to eat a breakfast and grew rather partial to cheesy chips, cottage pie and lasagne. I also drank more and would daily help my wife demolish a bottle of wine and then grab another for myself which I would glug watching a couple of Netflix movies.

All was good until I visited my GP's surgery for a flu jab and the practice nurse observed that I hadn't had my annual checkup which incorporates PSA, liver function and HbA1c. I didn't expect that one, so in desperation I asked her if I could put the test back three weeks until just before Christmas... any later would be worse owing to the usual drunken excesses and seasonal pig-outs.
I checked my fasting blood sugars the next morning and was clearly back in the pre-diabetic range, even tending towards the top.
Regrettably for me, HbA1c reflects average blood glucose levels over a 12 week period and I really don't want to lose my "in remission" status so I quickly went into desperation mode.

I immediately started a four day water only fast followed by strict OMAD combined with an LCHF diet to attempt to get the best from both approaches. I also did a little research to find out whether HbA1c results were biased towards most recent readings and my own might therefore benefit from three weeks of total sobriety, low carbs and OMAD. Fortunately, @Mr_Pot had investigated this very point and from the attached file it would seem that the most recent three weeks accounts for 40% of the readings, so I'm maybe in with a sporting chance.

One week to go and I am in deep ketosis with fasting blood sugars nicely in the normal range. I am enjoying my return to IF and definitely feel much more energetic and mentally alert... despite being an old fart.
You've just got to love an optimist so here's hoping!!!

Attachments

• HbA1c effect of time.pdf
    412.4 KB · Views: 3