Choosing a healthy oil for your diet.

I can remember back in the 1950’s (when I was growing up) we were told that butter and lard were not as healthy as using a natural vegetable oil for cooking, and oils like Wesson oil became very popular. People used margarine instead of butter, and hydrogenated shortening like Crisco instead of the natural animal fats that most people used for cooking.
However, we have now learned that these processed oils are not healthy for us at all, and many of them were simply developed because they were cheap to grow and produce oil from.
Crisco shortening actually developed from the waste products of the cotton industry. When cotton is harvested, each little boll has lots of seeds which had to be removed before the cotton filaments could be processed into fibers for clothes-making.
The cotton seeds were thrown in the trash until someone decided that they could process them and sell the oil. In order to make it look solid , like cooking lard or butter, the cotton seeds oil was processed with hydrogen, which gave it the solid form that we now see in shortening products.
Choosing natural oils for cooking and salad oil is important, and the best ones are cold-pressed, and not bleached and heat processed like most of the commercial oils are.

If you would like to read the story about how cotton seed came from being a waste product into shortening, here is a link that explains it really well:
https://idmprogram.com/the-shocking...ent=IDM’s+Fast+Forecast&utm_campaign=07092018

I can remember back in the 1950’s (when I was growing up) we were told that butter and lard were not as healthy as using a natural vegetable oil for cooking, and oils like Wesson oil became very popular. People used margarine instead of butter, and hydrogenated shortening like Crisco instead of the natural animal fats that most people used for cooking.
However, we have now learned that these processed oils are not healthy for us at all, and many of them were simply developed because they were cheap to grow and produce oil from.
Crisco shortening actually developed from the waste products of the cotton industry. When cotton is harvested, each little boll has lots of seeds which had to be removed before the cotton filaments could be processed into fibers for clothes-making.
The cotton seeds were thrown in the trash until someone decided that they could process them and sell the oil. In order to make it look solid , like cooking lard or butter, the cotton seeds oil was processed with hydrogen, which gave it the solid form that we now see in shortening products.
Choosing natural oils for cooking and salad oil is important, and the best ones are cold-pressed, and not bleached and heat processed like most of the commercial oils are.

If you would like to read the story about how cotton seed came from being a waste product into shortening, here is a link that explains it really well:
https://idmprogram.com/the-shocking...ent=IDM’s+Fast+Forecast&utm_campaign=07092018
Hard fats have posed health problems. Here is what Google says:
Eating foods rich in trans fats increases the amount of harmful LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream and reduces the amount of beneficial HDL cholesterol. Trans fats create inflammation, which is linked to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other chronic conditions.

So it is of great importance to choose your fats and oils well.

We are using canola oil for cooking and we always have margarine in the cupboard for sometimes we use that when frying vegetables particularly cabbage and string beans. We shifted to canola oil from the ordinary cooking oil upon the advice of our family physician. He said that canola oil is a healthy option. We have been using canola oil for more than 10 years now and I really cannot say the difference with other cooking oil.

Unfortunately, canola oil is one of the most highly processed oils , and it has to be processed and then bleached to make it even usable. It comes from a plant called rapeseed, which I think is part of the mustard family (if I remember right).
Margarine is also mostly made from trans-fats, and using butter is much healthier.
If you look at the link that I posted up above, it really explains about which oils can be safely used, and how all of the processed ones came about. It also explains that the commercial growers donated big money to places like the Heart Foundation, so that they would say that these oils are healthy, and most doctors still believe this because they are following the guidelines set up fifty years ago, and never changed.

I use coconut oil for cooking, and sometimes lard or bacon grease.
We have a special grease-saver can (from Amazon) that strains any leftover cooking grease, so that it can be reused. Since this comes directly from fresh meats that we cooked, it has not been processed.
I use extra virgin olive oil for salad dressings along with the apple cider vinegar like Braggs that has the “mother” at the bottom, and also a bit of balsamic vinegar for extra flavor.
In my coffee, I use heavy cream, which has good natural fat, and very little carbs like milk has. (I only drink one cup per day usually, so not very much cream is used.)

My household has been using vegetable oil and olive oil. Whenever I'm cooking pasta food, I always use olive oil. It enhances the taste and at the same time, it is healthy. But, as much as possible, I try to avoid oily foods.

My household has been using vegetable oil and olive oil. Whenever I'm cooking pasta food, I always use olive oil. It enhances the taste and at the same time, it is healthy. But, as much as possible, I try to avoid oily foods.
Especially when you are eating a vegan diet, and doing intermittent fasting with only one meal per day, it is very important to get enough healthy fats into your diet.
We have been taught that eating a low fat diet is healthy, but actually, our body requires healthy fats ; we just have to use the ones that help us to stay healthy and not the highly processed fats.
People who are doing OMAD and eating meat and other animal foods will get some of their healthy fats that way, but those who are vegan have to be sure to add plenty of foods like avocados , seeds, and nuts, that contain the healthy fats.

In my opinion Coconut Oil is healthier than most oils except of course olive oil which to me is the healthiest. Coconut Oil is usually packaged as vegetable oil and is much healthier than palm oil, corn oil and canola oil.

I am using olive oil when I cook my food or I prepare salads, soia is what my friends use but I don't like the taste.

I use olive oil for salads. It's a great way of blending them together. Fresh vegetables just taste so good with it. Though, I don't put a lot of it. Just the right amount will do. My family likes using olive oil in general. They much prefer it to other oils.

I can remember back in the 1950’s (when I was growing up) we were told that butter and lard were not as healthy as using a natural vegetable oil for cooking, and oils like Wesson oil became very popular. People used margarine instead of butter, and hydrogenated shortening like Crisco instead of the natural animal fats that most people used for cooking. ...

I sure do remember Wesson and Crisco. Weren't they the only two oils in existence during the 50s and 60s? LOL. :) I remember the first time I tasted butter. I had only eaten margarine and somebody served me something with Land O'Lakes butter. I couldn't believe the difference! My mouth went into shock. In our house, we now use canola oil and sometimes olive oil. My husband tries to get me to avoid using oil completely. (He read it in a book or heard one of those health gurus talking on television.) But my cooking habits are hard to change, adapt and modify. Nevertheless, I am using very little oil these days and have started water-based cooking. I figure you can't go wrong with water. :confused:

We use olive oil and vegetable oil in our households. My doctor advised me to stop using oil that is high in cholesterol. High cholesterol is not good in my body as I am hypertensive person.

Most of the canola (rapeseed oil) or vegetable oils have been processed at very high heat, and then bleached to get rid of the rancid smell and to lighten up the color after the heat processing. Even though they are not hydrogenated like shortening, they are still very unhealthy oils.
I use cold-processed oils, and the ones labeled as virgin or extra-virgin when possible.
For cooking, I use either coconut oil, or pure lard, and for salads, I prefer pure olive oil.

Most of the canola (rapeseed oil) or vegetable oils have been processed at very high heat, and then bleached to get rid of the rancid smell and to lighten up the color after the heat processing. Even though they are not hydrogenated like shortening, they are still very unhealthy oils.
I use cold-processed oils, and the ones labeled as virgin or extra-virgin when possible.
For cooking, I use either coconut oil, or pure lard, and for salads, I prefer pure olive oil.

I am just wondering why coconut oil is better than other oil, what are the benefits of this oil and how good it is in OMAD diet?

I am just wondering why coconut oil is better than other oil, what are the benefits of this oil and how good it is in OMAD diet?
From what I have read, coconut oil (natural, cold-processed) is one of the healthiest oils you can use,both for cooking and just adding it to foods. Many people add coconut oil or butter into their coffee, and that gives you healthy fats to start out the day and help you to stay feeling full longer.
This is a version of Bullet-proof Coffee, which was originally made with kerrygold butter and MCT oil added to coffee.
What I do is add coconut oil and a little heavy cream to my morning coffee, since coconut oil also has MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides)
Using coconut oil for cooking is also good because it has a higher point of staying stable than olive oil, but it is not chemically processed like canola or vegetable oils are.
Using a spoonful of coconut oil in coffee or tea is great for OMAD because it doesn’t spike insulin or break the fast (when used sparingly) but it helps you to feel full and satisfied longer.

From what I have read, coconut oil (natural, cold-processed) is one of the healthiest oils you can use,both for cooking and just adding it to foods. Many people add coconut oil or butter into their coffee, and that gives you healthy fats to start out the day and help you to stay feeling full longer.
This is a version of Bullet-proof Coffee, which was originally made with kerrygold butter and MCT oil added to coffee.
What I do is add coconut oil and a little heavy cream to my morning coffee, since coconut oil also has MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides)
Using coconut oil for cooking is also good because it has a higher point of staying stable than olive oil, but it is not chemically processed like canola or vegetable oils are.
Using a spoonful of coconut oil in coffee or tea is great for OMAD because it doesn’t spike insulin or break the fast (when used sparingly) but it helps you to feel full and satisfied longer.

You have so many techniques on how to use coconut oil in our foods and drinks. I learned another good things you. I will definitely try adding coconut oil to my coffee and see how it goes. Coconut oil is really good in Omad diet based on what you stated here.

Olive oil is a healthy fat. The important thing is it must be taken in the right form. Use cold pressed virgin oil and use it raw, NEVER cooked/fried. Pour some olive oil onto your salad, rice or any food... It is VERY healthy, packed with nutrients. Eat it raw with food, but do not drink it.

I think it's also important to choose the right oil as there such oils that can cause heart burn or that can be bad for your health. That's why fried foods is not recommended as it contains a lot of oils so its better to just not eat or just eat steamed. My mother used to buy olive oil as its more healthier to use this kind of oil than normal cooking oil but she usually cooks steamed than fried like steamed fish or boiled egg.

Unfortunately, canola oil is one of the most highly processed oils , and it has to be processed and then bleached to make it even usable. It comes from a plant called rapeseed, which I think is part of the mustard family (if I remember right).
Margarine is also mostly made from trans-fats, and using butter is much healthier.
If you look at the link that I posted up above, it really explains about which oils can be safely used, and how all of the processed ones came about. It also explains that the commercial growers donated big money to places like the Heart Foundation, so that they would say that these oils are healthy, and most doctors still believe this because they are following the guidelines set up fifty years ago, and never changed.

I use coconut oil for cooking, and sometimes lard or bacon grease.
We have a special grease-saver can (from Amazon) that strains any leftover cooking grease, so that it can be reused. Since this comes directly from fresh meats that we cooked, it has not been processed.
I use extra virgin olive oil for salad dressings along with the apple cider vinegar like Braggs that has the “mother” at the bottom, and also a bit of balsamic vinegar for extra flavor.
In my coffee, I use heavy cream, which has good natural fat, and very little carbs like milk has. (I only drink one cup per day usually, so not very much cream is used.)

I really admire people who watch their health in good faith and you are one of them. Thank you so much for giving us additional knowledge about the right cooking oil to use. I just bought an olive oil last night I will try to use this later.

Last edited:
I always spend a lot in buying food items that I use to prepare my meals on Omad and one of them is getting to buy quality oil. Vegetable oil is something that I always buy and while it is expensive here, it is preferable for me to cook as I watch my health.

I used to use Canola oil in cooking but I stop using it back few years ago when I heard a bad news about in TV. There is something they said in the news about manufacturing the oil and it has a lot of chemicals. From that time I only use olive oils and vegetable oil.