Calories and working out

R

Randy ketterman

Yes, when you are working out you will want to increase your caloric intake as you are burning more.

Should I increase my calories if I run everyday?
I don't increase my caloric intake even when I'm working out and even on the one meal a day diet because I need to burn stored fat and not just the glucose that the body will use up during my workout. I believe if one needs to see visible changes in no time ,then caloric intake should be lowered not increased.

Hi there! I am new to this and I'm just started my fitness lifestyle right now. What's with that calories? Why you should increase or decrease your calories intake when you are about to run or have a training work-out? Can someone explain it to me? Thanks, cheers!

I don't increase my caloric intake even when I'm working out and even on the one meal a day diet because I need to burn stored fat and not just the glucose that the body will use up during my workout. I believe if one needs to see visible changes in no time ,then caloric intake should be lowered not increased.
What workouts are you doing? I think if you are on weight training you need to increase you caloric intake through eating high-protein content foods to build your muscles. If your are just doing cardio exercises, then it is not necessary to increase your caloric intake to burn your stored fats.

Workout everyday so our body become strong and healthy. Do not always drink an carbonated drink like softdrinks because these one of the sources of fats because it contain so much that makes us fat.

What workouts are you doing? I think if you are on weight training you need to increase you caloric intake through eating high-protein content foods to build your muscles. If your are just doing cardio exercises, then it is not necessary to increase your caloric intake to burn your stored fats.
No I'm not building muscles or doing weight training, I'm more into cardiovascular activities and it working fine for me I think it better one hold unto what the person can do without breaking down and that's what I have been doing, I don't need to increase my calories because I don't think it necessary.

No I'm not building muscles or doing weight training, I'm more into cardiovascular activities and it working fine for me I think it better one hold unto what the person can do without breaking down and that's what I have been doing, I don't need to increase my calories because I don't think it necessary.
Yes, indeed you do not need to increase your caloric intake especially that your goal is to burn fats. I am also into cardiovascular exercises and I am just regulating what I eat: lesser rice and sugary foods. Good luck to us on our journey! :)

Yes, indeed you do not need to increase your caloric intake especially that your goal is to burn fats. I am also into cardiovascular exercises and I am just regulating what I eat: lesser rice and sugary foods. Good luck to us on our journey! :)
Yea,it better to reduce everything white like bread,pasta,yams,flour and stuff like that and replace it with more protein that way it will easier not just to lose weight but to maintain it as well.

Yea,it better to reduce everything white like bread,pasta,yams,flour and stuff like that and replace it with more protein that way it will easier not just to lose weight but to maintain it as well.
In order to maintain your weight, you must treat your diet as a way of life, not as a burden or a requirement for you to do. To stay on track is to enjoy what you are doing since it will affect you in the long run.

In order to maintain your weight, you must treat your diet as a way of life, not as a burden or a requirement for you to do. To stay on track is to enjoy what you are doing since it will affect you in the long run.
Most definitely right weight loss routine should be a totally change in ones lifestyle and eating healthily. No need trying to do selective days journey if one is on a weight loss journey it should be daily.

Most definitely right weight loss routine should be a totally change in ones lifestyle and eating healthily. No need trying to do selective days journey if one is on a weight loss journey it should be daily.
True! It will definitely benefit you in the future and significant differences will be noticed from your day to day life. I am loving sharing thoughts with and I hope we are able to help one another through this.

True! It will definitely benefit you in the future and significant differences will be noticed from your day to day life. I am loving sharing thoughts with and I hope we are able to help one another through this.
Yea,we are all doing great job here educating one another to have a better healthy lifestyle. One thing is to go on the OMAD diet but with a modified lifestyle it will help us sustain it.With a reduced calories and daily workout we are sure of reaching our desired goal.

This is an encouraging discussion for me because I get more confidence when I talk about my weight loss. I have been skipping dinner lately as a way of preparing myself for OMAD and in the process I have lost 2 pounds already in just a few days (although I have been skipping dinner intermittently for 3 weeks now). And with my bulging tummy, I guess it will take time before the change is visible.

Should I increase my calories if I run everyday?
Running is a very exhausting activity and you should have enough calories to burn otherwise your body may get dehydrated. One tip that I got from one marathon runner is the filling up of liquid and the best, for that particular runner, is water with lemon drops. It is actually plain water but flavored with lemon so it is more pleasant to drink. But you cannot have a full stomach when you run that’s why you have to drink lots of liquid an hour before running.

I think it depends on the goal you are trying to reach and also the intensity of your running, and I would mostly just depend on what you are feeling when you run or after because if you feel too weak then you might be putting yourself at risk but if you increase your calorie intake too much then you might not lose weight even if you run. I think finding the right balance is key, and it's better to listen to your body instead of adhering too much to any set standard.

Well, this depends on how many calories you are eating every day, you must calculate your intake and see if you need to add some calories, there are cases when is no need to intake more calories if you eat enough in that day.

According to the article that Jimmy posted on the main website about exercise and working out when doing OMAD, he didn’t really say that we should eat more food when working out. What he says is that it is more important to eat good quality foods, and plenty of protein when a person is trying to build muscle.
I think that a person’s appetite will usually tell us about how much to eat, because when we have exercised and burned more calories, we will have a hunger to eat either a larger meal, or just one that it a heavy protein meal, that day.

https://omaddiet.com/omad-exercising-training-tips/

Last edited:
I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that the calories you burn working out aren't really the same from the calories you take in when you eat. I'm not exactly sure what the supposed science was behind it but it did sound sensible to me at the time. I think the main point of the discussion was that exercising a lot doesn't really give us an excuse to eat as much as we want or eat as unhealthily as we want. We still need to think about the calories we put in and the quality of the ingredients we eat because we can't get rid of it through exercise alone and we will still need our body's natural process so we might as well make it easy for our bodies to do that as much as possible. Again, my memory of this is a bit vague so I might be getting some things wrong, but I would actually appreciate if someone were to clarify this theory for me or even confirm or refute it.