Bulletproof Coffee on Omad?

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't recommend bulletproof coffee outside the eating window.

If you break down the amount of calories in a typical cup of bulletproof coffee, it would look something like this:

1-2 cups coffee: 0 calories
1-2 Tbsp butter: 100 – 200 calories
1-2 Tbsp MCT oil: 125 – 250 calories

While it’s true that consuming this coffee does keep insulin down, I think it’s important to keep in mind the number of calories being consumed.

I think that some style of bulletproof coffee can be a worthwhile addition within your eating window, if you are following a ketogenic eating plan. It is important to have almost no carbs (usually under 20 grams ), as well as some protein, and the usual recommendation is 3-6 oz of meat.
The rest of your meal will be a large salad with greens and low carb veggies. In order to get the 70% fat in your diet, while still staying within the guidelines for protein and carbs, you will probably need to add some healthy oils.
Salad dressing made from balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a little himalayan sea salt will add some oil, and drinking a cup of coffee or tea that is blended with an oil, such as coconut oil, butter, or MCT oil, will also help keep your meal in balance.

Since I enjoy the taste of chocolate (and chocolates are definitely not on the program), I will sometimes add a bit of cacao butter to my bulletproof coffee , and this gives it that intense chocolate aroma and flavor.
What I use is made by Terrasoul, and is sold on Amazon, but there are other good brands available as well. Even adding just a little baking cocoa will add wonderful chocolate flavor to coffee, and adds very few calories or carbs, as long as it is pure baking cocoa.

Well, in terms of personal taste, I’m not a huge fan of Bulletproof Coffee considering I simply don’t like coffee much. Kind of a bad start already I’d say, haha.

But in any case, even if I personally don’t like it, I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. However, I’d say it’s probably best for those that are either doing the ketogenic diet, or are having trouble getting enough calories in during their eating window. It’s great for keto since the butter is an excellent source of fuel for those running on ketones, but it isn’t great for people on a regular diet.

If you’re eating a regular/relatively high carb diet, you don’t want to be including that much fat in there. If you’re eating a decent amount of carbs, odds are you won’t have too much trouble getting enough calories in either.

Like I said, Bulletproof Coffee seems to be best for those who are on a strict ketogenic diet, as that's where you're going to get the most benefits.