8 days in and no weight loss

I thought I would give OMAD a try and am now going into my 8th day. The hunger pangs have been manageable, and I have stuck to the plan without skipping days or having snacks. Today I stepped on the scale and my weight was exactly what it was when I started - zero pounds lost.

Is this unusual? For those who have experience with OMAD, when can I expect to see some tangible results?

OMAD alone is not a magic pill for weight loss, sadly. It IS a great way to maintain overall greater health. It is also easier to calorie restrict eating with OMAD than it is when eating normally, and that 'could' affect weight loss.

However calorie restriction frankly is a rather bad way to lose weight. If it actually worked the way most people think it is supposed to work, most diets would have a lot more success than they do. There is really no one single path to guaranteed weight loss. The most certain way to lose weight is to combine several things; OMAD, a ketogenic diet (done properly, you need to 'actually' be in ketosis), a modest calorie restriction in your meal (modest, don't go nuts), and a gradually improving exercise. If you follow that plan, it is a virtual certainty that given a year, you will be in vastly better health and have a much more healthy weight. It is also easier to follow this sort of plan than it is to 'just' do OMAD, as the ketogenesis will help curb your hunger.

Also be aware that your weight can easily fluctuate five pounds based solely on how much food is residual in your gut, how much water retention you have at the moment, how empty your bowels are, etc.. You really cannot judge the weight loss effectiveness of any lifestyle change with two measurements over the span of a week. After a month or two, you'll have a clearer notion. Also, you should never expect a radical weight loss. A single pound a week is fine. It adds up fast.

If you are morbidly obese or otherwise suffering some grave illness, and at risk of imminent death as a result, consider the above combination of OMAD, Keto, calorie restriction and exercise, then add to that regular (once or twice a month) prolonged total fasting of at least three days so as to gain frequent benefit from autophagy. Of course if that is the case, ideally you would want to do all this in consultation with a well informed doctor. Such total fasts are good for healthy people too. You could add twenty years of really healthy lifespan beyond the norm following all this.

Last edited:
Awesome answer, @Panpiper ! I think that most of us go through some sort of an adaptive changeover when we first start with intermittent fasting and eating one meal a day. I remember reading when I first started that it could take at least 3 weeks for your body to adjust to the new way of eating , and become efficient at digesting our food properly. So, for the whole first month, we might be just letting our body get adjusted, and not change much in our weight.
Another thing that I noticed, is that even when the scale does not change, that does not mean that we are not losing fat. Apparently, our body will store water in those fat cells, so even though you burn fat, your weight stays the same because of water accumulation. You can have what some people call a “Swoosh”, where overnight, your body lets loose of that accumulated water, and then you will drop several pounds all at once, even though you have actually been burning off the fat all along.
I think the main thing here, @webbie90 , is to not give up and think that the plan is not working, even though you are not seeing the results right away.
I am in several of the Facebook OMAD groups, and there are people who start OMAD and lose weight right away, and other people who don’t, but eventually, they do start losing weight; so it is just a matter of how each body adjusts, and probably, what we are eating during the one meal of OMAD.

I have hit a number of 1-2 week plateaus with OMAD and I just keep reminding myself that things will change...and they always do. I have never once gained weight with OMAD, it is either flat-lining or nudging down. You are probably getting lots of advice on things to change but just focus on a solid meal each day - it will work!

I thought I should circle back with an update since my first post. I'm now seeing some significant changes, and am very pleased with how things are going. As of this morning, down about 5 pounds since starting OMAD. Thanks to those who have provided words of encouragement, and reminding me that everyone's trajectory will be different.

Please hang in there.OMAD isn't a quick fix and isn't a magic pill so just give it time.The most important thing will be for you to keep doing the basics and forget the scale for a while.Just make it a full month and I'm sure you will see a visible change.Good luck on your journey.

Doing Omad takes a lot of patience as it is not something that is going to bear results almost immediately when you started it. There are a lot of factors that you should consider such as age factor, the body type and the rest of them. However, one thing that is important is for you to remain consistent as that is the way that you can achieve better results at the end. I didn't lose any pounds when I began till after the third week, so it's normal.

I also didn't lose weight in my first week, or maybe if I did I mostly just lost maybe one or two pounds, although I did feel very light and a lot less bloated during this time which is a huge part of why I decided to keep on going even though it didn't look like I was making a huge difference outright. It might also be because I was still eating a bit too much at the start since I was afraid not eating enough would make me too hungry at night, but now that I'm more used to the routine and know what to expect I could manage my proportions a bit better and as a result have been losing weight a bit more than in the first week. I'm glad to hear it is finally working for you and I hope to hear more of your progress in the future so keep up the good work!

OMAD alone is not a magic pill for weight loss, sadly. It IS a great way to maintain overall greater health. It is also easier to calorie restrict eating with OMAD than it is when eating normally, and that 'could' affect weight loss.

However calorie restriction frankly is a rather bad way to lose weight. If it actually worked the way most people think it is supposed to work, most diets would have a lot more success than they do. There is really no one single path to guaranteed weight loss. The most certain way to lose weight is to combine several things; OMAD, a ketogenic diet (done properly, you need to 'actually' be in ketosis), a modest calorie restriction in your meal (modest, don't go nuts), and a gradually improving exercise. If you follow that plan, it is a virtual certainty that given a year, you will be in vastly better health and have a much more healthy weight. It is also easier to follow this sort of plan than it is to 'just' do OMAD, as the ketogenesis will help curb your hunger.

Also be aware that your weight can easily fluctuate five pounds based solely on how much food is residual in your gut, how much water retention you have at the moment, how empty your bowels are, etc.. You really cannot judge the weight loss effectiveness of any lifestyle change with two measurements over the span of a week. After a month or two, you'll have a clearer notion. Also, you should never expect a radical weight loss. A single pound a week is fine. It adds up fast.

If you are morbidly obese or otherwise suffering some grave illness, and at risk of imminent death as a result, consider the above combination of OMAD, Keto, calorie restriction and exercise, then add to that regular (once or twice a month) prolonged total fasting of at least three days so as to gain frequent benefit from autophagy. Of course if that is the case, ideally you would want to do all this in consultation with a well informed doctor. Such total fasts are good for healthy people too. You could add twenty years of really healthy lifespan beyond the norm following all this.

You enlighten me by sharing your knowledge about OMAD. This maybe not be the type of diet that I want for now, maybe in my next step to maintain my weight I will definitely try this. I should have focus first to lose many pounds in other way.

You enlighten me by sharing your knowledge about OMAD. This maybe not be the type of diet that I want for now, maybe in my next step to maintain my weight I will definitely try this. I should have focus first to lose many pounds in other way.
Please take a long hard look at a ketogenic diet. Most people who do Keto also do intermittent fasting, of which OMAD is the most extreme version, but that's only because those two are the diet regimes that are the most effective at maintaining health. You can be on a ketogenic diet and not do intermittent fasting, that is perfectly fine. It is in fact easier to adapt to intermittent fasting 'after' you have become fat adapted from keto, because you experience a lot less hunger. So starting with keto and putting intermittent fasting and OMAD on the backburner for a while is perfectly fine.

You can learn a lot about a ketogenic diet, and there is so much information out there that it is easy to be overwhelmed. But the essence of a ketogenic diet is very simple. Stop eating carbs. Like stop, completely. No sugar, period. No grains, no starches, that means no bread, no pizzas, etc.. You need to spend a bit of time learning what has carbs and stop eating that stuff. For instance potatoes are out, so are vegetable oils, use olive oil instead. You can permit yourself a maximum of 20 grams of carbs total a day from any and all sources, and that's it. That 20 gram budget should be used for low carb veggies.

Other than that, the question of what to eat is pretty simple, you eat what's left, but primarily you eat leafy greens for veggies, and for the main fuel energy, you eat fatty sources of protein. The idea is to shift your body (radically) from using carbs as a fuel source to using fat as a fuel source. That includes your own body's fat reserves by the way. ;-)

So you can eat chicken with the skin, pork chops with the fat, oily fish, eggs, BACON!!!, cheese, butter, olive oil, etc.. My meal today was a massive cheese omelette cooked in both olive oil and butter, I threw in an onion and some garlic, which was well under my 20 gram carb budget. Yesterday I made an awesome curried butter chicken that my non keto friends devoured. You can eat well on keto while losing weight.

The final ingredient to losing weight on keto is; don't eat if you're not hungry, stop eating when you are satiated.

I posted some links to some great YouTube channels to learn more, somewhere around here. I'll see if I can't find them... Found it:
https://omaddiet.com/community/inde...s-comments-are-welcomed.983/page-5#post-10780

Last edited:
Rome was never built in a single day and so neither will your body. I actually applaud the comments that have been made but do not take everything as applicable to yourself. Each and every person has different manners that their body adjusts and shifts with changes and yours will soon express itself in its own unique manner.