64 year old man and wife starting omad

we Have been on all of the diets. Started many years ago, counting calories. All worked for awhile. Latest was low carbing. Lost weight, but even though I kept my carbs low, I gained my weight back. And I always used MyFitnessPal. On our 14th day on omad. Now I don’t get hungry at all. Things are looking good.

I was attracted by the title of this discussion because my husband is 64 and he is contemplating on going on a diet although not specifically OMAD. I am overweight and I admit that I need to go on OMAD although my mindset is not ready yet. With your testimonial on OMAD vis-à-vis weight loss, I guess it is no question that we will lose weight when we eat only once in a day. But the issue for me is if I could maintain that kind of eating habit.

It is hard at first. I actually have a daily log, on how I’ve felt each day and how hungry I got. I never broke. I ate each day within 1 hour once every 24 hours. I wasn’t hungry (starving) for dinner time today (15days). Funny I’ve logged some of my health issues I have NOT had since I’ve started omad. I used to get many muscle cramps. Believe it or not, I have not had one! I believe this way of eating will save my life because I feel so good.

It's also what I prefer about this diet over other ones that are too restrictive which is that you pretty much can still live fairly normally outside of just eating one meal a day, which in my opinion is just much more practical to adhere to for the long term. Glad to know you also have found it to work for you. I agree too that keeping a log helps a lot. I also had one when I started two months back and it helped me keep pushing as seeing the progress really motivated me. Good luck on your journey ahead and I look forward to reading more about your progress. :)

My 23rd day without a hiccup. Seems easier with each day. I’m very determined to make this the way I live. It’s a little early for people to say anything about weight loss. Now understand, I was unaware of some health benefits. I haven’t had a muscle cramp since I started. A lot of aches and pains are gone. Feel more alert and energetic. Just some of the things that I’ve noticed.

It is really good having a good diet when we are older. Less toxin and less things that our bodies will have take inside of our body.

Thats really sweet. I agree that it is easier to do when both of you are doing it, you can hold each other accountable. I am about to reach my goal weight and am also starting to wonder how I'm going to be able to maintain m weight. I thinking of doing a combination of paleo and OMAD or doing OMAD 3-4 times a week. I was on a low fat diet before and I gained all my weight back, so this is real, you really must plan how you are going to maintain your weight.

The heading of this post is really catchy and will really attract doubters to buckle up and try to see what good OMAD can help them do_OMAD doesn't really have age limitations, just start it off and be a little disciplined and see how it goes.I find this post very encouraging.

Well this is my 30th DAY! No cheating of any kind. Lost a notch on the belt. All is good. I don’t get too hungry anymore. After a couple weeks, I can’t eat as much as I want. I get full so fast. It’s taught me a few things about myself. That I used to eat out of boredom. I Also ate because it was time to eat lol. I do look forward to what we’re going to have for dinner, because I used to give up carbs, deserts, pasta, bread etc. Not anymore! When you realize that you only eat 7 times a week, it’s shocking lol. You save a lot of money. Not kidding. It’s only my wife and I at home, so we only buy for ourselves. I’m not buying breakfast or lunch out anymore (use to, every day I worked) or buying anything for lunches to be made. I actually think I’m eating the way we are all supposed to be eating. Back in the day, there were no refrigerators. They ate as they could.
I work in a hospital, and see virtually everyone is over weight. Kids 14-15 yrs old, 300 lbs. I feel we found the secret. It’s not easy to change, eating is such a social thing to do. And it’s enjoyable. Sorry for being so long winded. I’ll check back with you in a week or two to give you a progress report

Well this is my 30th DAY! No cheating of any kind. Lost a notch on the belt. All is good. I don’t get too hungry anymore. After a couple weeks, I can’t eat as much as I want. I get full so fast. It’s taught me a few things about myself. That I used to eat out of boredom. I Also ate because it was time to eat lol. I do look forward to what we’re going to have for dinner, because I used to give up carbs, deserts, pasta, bread etc. Not anymore! When you realize that you only eat 7 times a week, it’s shocking lol. You save a lot of money. Not kidding. It’s only my wife and I at home, so we only buy for ourselves. I’m not buying breakfast or lunch out anymore (use to, every day I worked) or buying anything for lunches to be made. I actually think I’m eating the way we are all supposed to be eating. Back in the day, there were no refrigerators. They ate as they could.
I work in a hospital, and see virtually everyone is over weight. Kids 14-15 yrs old, 300 lbs. I feel we found the secret. It’s not easy to change, eating is such a social thing to do. And it’s enjoyable. Sorry for being so long winded. I’ll check back with you in a week or two to give you a progress report

I can really relate to everything that you have written, @Mark1 , because I am 73, and for many years tried every diet plan that came along, and many of them restrict you from eating one food or another.
When you are eating low fat, or most any low calorie diet, you can have a potato, or a slice of toast; but you can’t have any butter on it, because it is both fat and high in calories.
But when you are eating low carb, then you can have all of the butter you want; but not the potato or toast. Always, it is some food that is off-limits.

With OMAD, it is totally up to each person what they want to eat for that one meal, and we can make our own decisions, and not feel bad for anything we choose. Most of the time, I choose low carb foods because they pretty much curb hunger and food cravings; but I know that if I should go out to eat with my husband, then I can eat whatever I want for that meal, and enjoy it.

I don’t eat as much now either.
Only eating once a day has helped my stomach to shrink, and the fasting has helped to lower my insulin levels, and since I can only have what I eat at one meal, I automatically am getting a lot less food now. I know this is going to take a while, because it is a slow weight loss; but it is a lifestyle that I can live with.

Its now 41 days! No cheating, just eating one great meal a day. Over labor day weekend I’ve had for the first time since we started omad, people noticed that I’ve lost weight and that my wife has too. I wore shorts today that 41days ago I could not fit in. The short goal is I want to be able to wear 34 inch waist shorts. They were 2inches short of buttoning up 41 days ago, now they are a little tight. When those fit easily , I will weigh myself.

WOW ! That is SO awesome, Mark....... you and your wife are an inspiration for sure ! It seemed like at first nothing was happening, and even though I could see changes in my body, the stubborn scale just would not move. Then I was reading, and it said that it can take up to a month to get your body acclimated to this new way of eating, and that made me feel better.
I guess I was expecting overnight miracles, like some people seem to have been getting when following the IF program and fasting. But then, I remembered that when I was younger, I could lose weight faster, too, and that it just takes longer as we get older.
I have been trying to stay away from the scale, and do like you are doing, and then weigh myself when I can wear a size smaller jeans; but it seems like I just can’t resist looking to see what it is going to say each morning.

I know what you mean. I just don’t want to be disappointed, so I don’t weigh myself. I will when I reach my clothing goals. It’s getting there. Starting to loose my love handles lol. Belly getting smaller. First time, in a long time, I’m getting back in shape. I’ve been searching for a long time for the answers to real weight loss. I’m a pharmacist, and I believe in the science behind omad.

This is really a great motivation coming from a 64-year-old. I can see his passion keeping in good shape and in good health. Glad to hear you found the right diet. I hope I can encourage my boyfriend soon to be husband to get fit with me. It will be easier when you have partner accountability.

I know many people in their 60's and 70's that are doing one meal a day diet. They are doing it to not lose weight but for the sake of maintaining their health. They just maintaining or watching out for their sugar or cholesterol level. It should not be too high or low. More power to this individual on trying to be healthy despite of their age.

we Have been on all of the diets. Started many years ago, counting calories. All worked for awhile. Latest was low carbing. Lost weight, but even though I kept my carbs low, I gained my weight back. And I always used MyFitnessPal. On our 14th day on omad. Now I don’t get hungry at all. Things are looking good.

Congratulations then. I am happy that you found the perfect one which is the OMAD diet. This is really great diet plan for everyone.

I think older people should do diet. Older people's body and metabolism is very different from younger once. I have a neighbor who is 94 year old granny, she eats only vegies without seasoning. She said, she only steaming her food. And she don't drink coffee. I don't know if it is included in her diet. Guess what? She looks really younger than her age.

I think everyone should IF. Health benefits are too conclusive to disregard. So, so many over weight people. Seems we just can’t process all the food eaten during the day (and evening). It’s been 54 days for me on omad. Feel wonderful. I’m pretty much into the routine of eating my dinner.