64 year old man and wife starting omad

Funny, how people with no real life knowledge, write articles about how bad IF is. It’s a total joke. I love getting up in the morning, having my coffee and really not thinking of food. Most write, your going to be hangry, it’s not natural, could be harmful to your body. Total garbage! I feel I’ve totally taken control over eating, for once in my life. I’ve kept it simple. I fast for 23 hours, eat within a 1 hour window period. I think people fight this, mostly because we like to eat and eating is social. But eating is not necessary for most of us. Lol.
So fantastic to read this! Congratulations to you and your wife! I’m starting in 45 days.. Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited:
Before food became a commercial product, no one really was concerned what or when people ate, except the person themself. Working people who were farming, or something similar, grow their own food, worked long hours, and ate maybe 1-2 each day.
Now, most people buy their food from the store, and we are indundated with commercials to help us decide which food we want to eat, and we are told we need to eat at least 3 meals a day, plus snacks.
It is not that people suddenly need more food each day, it is because it is now a commercial sales item, so the food companies want to encourage people to eat more food.
I really appreciate your replies! I’m new and ready to start in 45 days on this great new journey. I guess I better be prepared for a few headaches...arrgh and drinking lots of water. I hope I’m ready to hang tough. It sounds like the first month is quite challenging.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your replies! I’m new and ready to start tomorrow on this great new journey. I guess I better be prepared for a few headaches...arrgh and drinking lots of water. I hope I’m ready to hang tough. It sounds like the first month is quite challenging.

Welcome to the forum, @Estelle ! It is always great to have a newcomer, and one so excited about starting a new life with OMAD. This is an eating plan that can work for anyone, because you can tailor it to suit your life, and decide when your eating window will be bad what you will eat during that time.
Some people just jump right in to the one meal a day, and some start with intermittent fasting and then work into OMAD as they get used to it. Do whatever works best for you.
On the main webpage , Jimmy has written everything that it is important to know about starting OMAD, what foods are best, and what we should do during the fasting times.
There is also a Facebook group, and if you scroll down the main website page, you will find the icons for social media.

Thanks so very much for responding, much appreciated happy flower . I am excited but a little scared also. I don’t want to flop. I don’t want to disappoint myself once again. But I know deep inside...IF is great. All of it rings true. Oh boy...I CAN do this.

Last edited:
we Have been on all of the diets. Started many years ago, counting calories. All worked for awhile. Latest was low carbing. Lost weight, but even though I kept my carbs low, I gained my weight back. And I always used MyFitnessPal. On our 14th day on omad. Now I don’t get hungry at all. Things are looking good.
Hi Mark. I’m just rereading this thread because I needed to hear about your not being hungry after 14 days. I decided today to do the 16:8 for 45 days and work my way up to the OMAD. So will be starting that in 45 days. Anyway Mark...thanks for sharing your posts, it’s inspirational to others...it can be done at any age. It’s definitely a mindset. Thanks again!

I know what you mean. I just don’t want to be disappointed, so I don’t weigh myself. I will when I reach my clothing goals. It’s getting there. Starting to loose my love handles lol. Belly getting smaller. First time, in a long time, I’m getting back in shape. I’ve been searching for a long time for the answers to real weight loss. I’m a pharmacist, and I believe in the science behind omad.
For the first time in my life I will not be weighing for a long while. My husband and I are traveling for months and I don’t have a scale with us ( too hard to pack for airplanes), but really don’t want one. I just need to do this and give it a good 90 days before getting on any scale. Thanks for the reminder Mark. How is it going for you these days? I know I’m responding to your posts from a while back.

75 days today! My wife and I have seen so much improvement. My wife and I look like we have been dieting for a long time. We are slim and trim. People go out to eat with us and can’t believe we are on any kind diet, we eat so much. My issues are now that my clothes are too lose, too big. I worry about buying more clothes. I have way too many clothes (before and after diets). It’s ridiculous, really. We are staying on omad for the rest of our life’s . So we are going to find out where this will take us. I’m going to be reporting back. I hope I motivate the young and older. It works. Most people say “I could never do that “. I tell em, our ancestors were lucky to eat a meal a day. They didn’t have refrigerators. They ate when they could. When people say they could never eat that way, it’s code for I like to eat, and I’m unwilling to give that up. It’s ok. I have no issues with that. But I think if you do something for 30 days, it becomes a great new habit.
God bless and good night.
That’s really fantastic! I’d love to hear...are you feeling even better, now months later from your posting this? How are things improving for you? Thanks for any response you have time for.

188 days! Got through the holidays, it was much easier than I thought it would be. A couple of days with 1 small meal/snack and my main meal. Planned it that way on those days. It’s really a way of life. Certainly not a diet. I eat anything I want in my one hour. Pasta galore, pizza, deserts, and bread. I hated, on diets, giving up most everything I liked. That’s why I say, this is not a diet!
Really fantastic! Over six months for you and your wife. How wonderful. My mind thinking of doing this long term, gets stronger just by reading your posts and story. Thanks for your posts. I know I’ve said that in other comments to you, but as a beginner to this...I really mean it. It’s wonderful to read someone’s journey who is really thriving by doing OMAD. Thanks again. Please keep posting updates as you go along.

It’s been 252 days! Pretty use to it. Things are going great. Feel very healthy. Biggest problem we have had, is we just can’t eat all the food we cook. Too many left overs. We use to eat 3 meals a day, and so we were able to eat some of our leftovers at lunch. Not any more. I have more energy. All I can say.....slim and trim......

It’s been 252 days! Pretty use to it. Things are going great. Feel very healthy. Biggest problem we have had, is we just can’t eat all the food we cook. Too many left overs. We use to eat 3 meals a day, and so we were able to eat some of our leftovers at lunch. Not any more. I have more energy. All I can say.....slim and trim......

Hay Mark1. I'm about 225 days behind you. And I have already changed up how much I purchase. I have a bad case of "throwgoodfoodaway" phobia so I really save $ time & waste. I'm excited. I'm currently struggling with how much I can eat in a one hour window. How about some tips on 1400/1800ish calories in such a short window without feeling like you just had thanksgiving supper.

I’m going to be very honest with you. I couldn’t wait to eat like things I gave up for years. Pasta,potatoes bread and deserts. So I ate well the first months. I’ve always tried to keep thinks simple. I eat, and I ate my normal amount of food at dinner time all within one hour (that’s easy to do). I can’t eat for 1 hour. I don’t count calories. i eat until I’m full.

This is day 282! Do you think it’s become a habit? Started as a 36 or really a 38 waist, now a 34! It’s the easiest thing I’ve ever done in terms of a diet. I have to tell you, I have never Limited the amount or what we ate for our one meal. I refuse to low carb this meal. I had went without too long. Oh I would have lost weight sooner, but for me, it’s not a sprint, it a marathon. My wife has had issues. Not loosing as much as she’d like. But we think it’s alittle hormonal resistance. She’s a trooper. She hasn’t given up. It seems to be her body fighting to not loose. We will try to figure it out. Meanwhile we are both omad for life! The side effects are something we had to get used to. All the money we don’t spend on the other two meals. Lol

Hi Mark&Wife. I'm a Newby and lost a belt hole without trying. What a relief to know that what is by far the simplest and easiest form of eating doubles as a diet. But I don't call it that. I think I may be cheating, I no longer watch the clock. What works for me is eat around 7-or-8, sometimes eat some more before sacking out. So my window is 1-1/2 hrs to 3-hrs and zero thought about calories. Or guilt. I am no mascot for Omad but were all different.

That’s true. I don’t talk about omad at work, most people think it’s harmful. But I over heard a coworker say he only eats once a day. So when we were a lone, I talked to him about it. He’s from India and said, he has only eaten one meal a day for the last 20 YEARS! He started showing me pictures of himself some 15-20 years ago. He’s looks the same, never gained a pound. He said “ you know it very healthy to eat once a day”. He told me His grandfather ate one meal a day and lived til the age of 98. He died of some spider or insect bite, not old age.

That’s true. I don’t talk about omad at work, most people think it’s harmful. But I over heard a coworker say he only eats once a day. So when we were a lone, I talked to him about it. He’s from India and said, he has only eaten one meal a day for the last 20 YEARS! He started showing me pictures of himself some 15-20 years ago. He’s looks the same, never gained a pound. He said “ you know it very healthy to eat once a day”. He told me His grandfather ate one meal a day and lived til the age of 98. He died of some spider or insect bite, not old age.

I agree that we are pretty much programmed, mostly by food manufacturers, to think that we NEED to eat at least three times a day, plus snacks, and five meals a day would be even better.
If we could look back even 100 years ago, most people had gardens and raised/grew their own food, and if not; then they bought it from local farmers who did grow it.
No one cared whether you are once a day, or five times a day, because no one made money from selling food commercially.
I have found that I feel better eating less often, but I usually try to follow my body’s guideline, and don’t eat unless I am actually hungry, and then eat whatever it takes to satisfy me.

I envy you guys! Hope I'll be the same at your age! It takes a lot of physical and mental endurance to convince your will to do OMAD, and it gets harder by age. You're my idols!

I envy you guys! Hope I'll be the same at your age! It takes a lot of physical and mental endurance to convince your will to do OMAD, and it gets harder by age. You're my idols!
For me it seems easier now that I'm a bit dated. I was beyond active in youth and gobbled up food all the time. For me it's just time to get serious about nutrition. I think you're way ahead of the game .

It’s day 330! I’m 65 now. In one more month, it’ll have been a year. It’s awesome. While I eat one meal a day, I eat whatever is on the menu that day. Keep it simple. I think that’s My theme . Keep it simple, and allow time to improve the way you look and feel. I read all the new people ask how many calories, how many carbs etc. it’s not that complicated. Within 3 months, you’ll find out why your over weight, if you are. Meaning, do you tend to want to eat when your bored or when your sad, or anxious or happy. It’s not because your hungry. And you’ll know, you eat omad, no snacks, no extra meals. It’s simple. You’ll see, your waistline get smaller, your shirt size to go from xl to L to M. And your appearance to improve.
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

So, I wanted to update you. Yesterday was my 1 year on omad! I experimented in a way. I only ate once a day for all but 2 days in a year. During that hour, I ate until I was stuffed and I had dessert virtually every day. I lost 25 lbs in that year. I never weighed myself for the entire year. Was I disappointed? Alittle, I wanted to be at my goal weight of 180. 13 lbs more! What would I recommend if I was starting out again. Weight yourself initially, than weigh yourself weekly thereafter. You will be able to adjust your carbs and quantity of food ( only one plate of food).
So now, what am I going to do? I’m going to keep doing omad! Weigh myself weekly. Limit my food engorgment to a normal meal, one plate per day. No deserts, unless it’s a special occasion. ( basically do what Jimmy says). I’ll update you when I hit my goal! Hopefully it won’t be that long.

My "unprofessional " advice to you Mark1 would be to limit engorgement yes. That little tweak will bring results for sure. No desert seems strict, maybe the treat should be just that, a small treat. I wouldn't be disappointed, I would be proud and excited about knowing you found what works. Congratulations on 1-year.

I'm doing well also and have changed up my routine from 1-1/2 to 3-hr eating window to one. Sometimes 8:30 to 10:00 P.M. I'll make two meals at once. For instance a cup of rice, cup of beans, 8-measured oz. of chicken with skin, two apples nuked with butter & cinnamon. Divide it up into two, that way no gorging. That's about 1500 calls if that. I'll check the numbers when I suspect too many calories. If I do that in one sitting its just too much. Maybe try it once.