11 Day Water Only Fast

I am a type 2 prediabetic/borderline diabetic and have managed to juggle this for the last 15 or so years without medication and without the condition getting worse... or any better for that matter. However, in March 2017 my HbA1c was 41 yet in April 2018 it had increased to 45 mmol/ mol.

It was at this point that I decided to take things seriously and commenced a keto diet which by September 2018 had brought my HbA1c down to 38 which was satisfyingly within the normal range.

Regrettably, Christmas and New Year excesses had gradually caused my average fasting blood glucose (FBG) to rise by 0.5 mmol/l from 5.4 to 5.9, prompting a masochistic decision to attempt an 11 day water only fast.

It was surprisingly easy, and from a starting weight of 73.1 kgs ( BMI 22.5) I lost 6.1 kgs or 13.5 lbs to arrive at 67.0 kgs (BMI 20.6 - the sunny side of the healthy weight range).
FBG and evening blood glucose readings hovered around 4.4 which were the lowest I had ever measured, with no sign of the dawn phenomenon where the liver inexplicably dumps glucose to produce a higher FBG than the reading taken the previous bedtime.
Ketones reached and stayed around 7.0 after 4 days of fasting.

Regarding benefits additional to the weight loss, my body appears to have cured itself of the dreaded urge incontinence which I have suffered for 6 years... an unfortunate side effect of BPH which old male farts like myself seem destined to encounter eventually.

Most essentially, I have undergone a thorough system washout in preparation for a concentrated OMAD and keto diet regimen to consolidate my normal blood results and convince my GP and diabetic practice nurse that T2D is NOT a chronic and progressive disease.

Wow, that is truly an amazing endeavor, @OhMAD , and it sounds like you have had a lot of positive results from it ! You are so right about doctors telling us that reversible diseases are chronic and progressive.
I have heart failure that I have had for quite a while, and the nurse said that it would continue to get worse and worse, just like your nurse told you.
However, the truth is that my heart failure is maybe not completely in remission, but definitely improving. Several years ago, my heart was working at 23%ef, , but after I cut the carbs and starting doing keto, my heart started improving. It is now at around 47%ef, which is basically coming out of. The heart failure stage.
Now thatI have also been doing OMAD, I am interested in seeing how it turns out when I have my echocardiogram next month.

Except when I was fasting for religious purposes, I have never gone on a fast as long as the one that you just finished. Do you do longer fasts as a part of your regime, or is this the first time ?

It's frightening when our professional advisors tell us that we are chronically and progressively ill and are unable to offer any advice other than to go on medication and eat a totally erroneous carbohydrate diet.
Like yourself, I have resisted and fought back, but just think about the majority of us who think that our doctors know best... rant over!

Yes, second time around having completed an extended water fast some 12 years ago.
After that, weight has not really been my problem as at 5' 11" I have stayed within the range 75 +/- 4 kgs.
My issue is with my HbA1c habitually straying from the prediabetic range into the marginal diabetic range. This in itself is sufficient to make our practice nurse restate that remission is a lost cause.

This time I am going to make a concerted effort to once and for all show her that she is talking total twaddle. Thus, my objective is to stay a tad under 70kgs and devise a permanent maintenance programme that is easy to do while bringing my HbA1c down to the early 30's.

You may have already read this, but Dr. Jason Fung, who wrote “The Obesity Code” also wrote another book called “The Diabetes Code”. I haven’t read that one but I have read the Obesity Code book, and there is a great wealth of information in there about managing insulin and the part that intermittent fasting can play in overcoming T2 diabetes.

That's really inspiring! I can't imagine how did you manage to pull that off. Usually with just water my headaches and stomach crumbles put me into the state of "not getting out of bed". It's like a torture for me...