10+ miles walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am wondering if there is anything that would preclude, or any reason why I should be cautioned against exercise while on OMAD. I DO NOT enjoy typical exercising like jogging, weight lifting etc, but I do enjoy walking long distances. Prior to OMAD I enjoyed walking 10 plus miles a day. I have not done so since having pneumonia last year. Now that my strength has returned, I would like to start it back up. Would it be safe to start back? I dont want to do anything to hinder my weight loss and I still feel fairly new to the OMAD lifestyle.
Thanks!
K

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
I am wondering if there is anything that would preclude, or any reason why I should be cautioned against exercise while on OMAD. I DO NOT enjoy typical exercising like jogging, weight lifting etc, but I do enjoy walking long distances. Prior to OMAD I enjoyed walking 10 plus miles a day. I have not done so since having pneumonia last year. Now that my strength has returned, I would like to start it back up. Would it be safe to start back? I dont want to do anything to hinder my weight loss and I still feel fairly new to the OMAD lifestyle.
Thanks!
K

Hi K fuller and Welcome! I always encourage exercising while doing the Omad Diet for a healthier lifestyle overall. I talk about the many benefits of exercising in this article https://omaddiet.com/omad-exercising-training-tips/

I have read in several discussions here that exercise is good while on OMAD. However, I think that 10 miles of walking is too much for you might get dehydrated. I am speaking for myself because I live in a tropical country where the heat can "kill" you when the sun is shining brightly.

I have read in several discussions here that exercise is good while on OMAD. However, I think that 10 miles of walking is too much for you might get dehydrated. I am speaking for myself because I live in a tropical country where the heat can "kill" you when the sun is shining brightly.
That is a point well taken, and walking that far in the heat of the day would possibly cause heat stroke; but if @k fuller has been used to doing this, then she must live somewhere that it does not get too hot to walk that far.

Probably starting back to walking with a much shorter distance would be a good way to start back into exercising, K, and then gradually move into longer walks as your health improves from the pneumonia.
Being our own “guinea pig” and testing out different exercises to see what works is often a good way to find out what works best for each of us, because we are all different, and our physical limitations are different, too.

I think that 10 mile walk will be beneficial to you. In addition, I read some article that it is dangerous now to walk in at 11 am to 3 pm the sunlight will not be healthy to your body. You should walk every morning or late afternoon to be sure that you will not be harmed by the sunlight. I hoped that you will be successful in your one meal a day diet while exercising.

That is a point well taken, and walking that far in the heat of the day would possibly cause heat stroke; but if @k fuller has been used to doing this, then she must live somewhere that it does not get too hot to walk that far.

Probably starting back to walking with a much shorter distance would be a good way to start back into exercising, K, and then gradually move into longer walks as your health improves from the pneumonia.
Being our own “guinea pig” and testing out different exercises to see what works is often a good way to find out what works best for each of us, because we are all different, and our physical limitations are different, too.

I would suggest the same thing to- to do it gradually to test the waters first. I find that too strenuous if you just recovered from illness but perhaps it really depends on the person if he's used to it. Maybe I can try long walks as an exercise during the colder months which are towards the year-end or Christmas season here in my country. What I typically do is jog for half an hour.

It has always being helpful to add an exercise routine to our weight loss journey because I have been doing same even before starting OMAD. To get back into your routine you can start gradually again. Take fewer steps and daily increase it to what your body can go with and it will help that way to avoid breaking down.I love to walk a lot too and its impacting especially on loss weight too.

Status
Not open for further replies.