Question regarding multiple day total fasts and supplements.

I am right now on hour 53 of what will be at least a three day fast. Thanks to being keto and doing OMAD for a good while now, I am experiencing absolutely zero hunger. All is well. However, I am a neophyte to extended fasts and am wondering as to what is generally accepted norms.

I have been taking several vitamin supplements along with my daily meal, not necessarily because I am convinced that I have to, but because I think the bet that they are good is worth the while. The certainly won't hurt, and I've found good sources for them so they don't cost much. My supplements are primarily a full spectrum set of vitamins including a gel vitamin E, a magnesium and potassium supplement to compliment my use of redmond real salt, and perhaps most worryingly, an omega 3-6-9 oil supplement (large gel capsule). Oh, and I take a capsule of psyllium husk fiber as well. I have for better or worse taken those supplements both days of my fast so far. I have also been drinking tea with a very small amount of stevia (not enough to actually make it sweet).

Am I losing a lot of the benefit of my fasting by taking any of this? Can I take these supplements along with the tea and still gain say, 90% of the benefit? Or must I confine myself to water only for the whole duration of a fast? What is the conventional wisdom on this matter?

The answer is going to depend on what you consider to be a fast. A purist faster is going to tell you that anything that isn’t water or air shouldn’t be going into your body while on a fast. Some will even recommend dry fasting, which in my opinion is not a good idea unless done for some sort of spiritual purpose. Personally, I don’t like to take things that far.

I’d say that the supplements aren’t of any real concern. You mentioned being worried about your omega 3-6-9 gel capsules, but considering that fish oil is just fat, it’s not going to trigger any sort of insulin response in your body. The one thing I’d probably try and avoid is the Stevia, but a lot of research has shown that Stevia apparently doesn’t trigger insulin responses and might actually improve insulin sensitivity, so you’re probably not hindering your fast very much.

I’d say if your aiming for 90% of the benefits, you’ll probably be fine doing it this way.

I would think that the extra supplements are a good thing during the fast; but I suppose that this would depend on the goal of your fast.
One of the main reasons for the OMAD fasting is because it lets our body heal overnight, and not be constantly processing food. Having enough vitamins and mineral for our body to use in the healing and repairing process is very important; but it is also hard for our body to recognize a tablet or capsule as food, and it does not always digest them properly .
This is why we should always take any suppplementation along with actual food, even if it is only a bit of something, just as long as our body recognizes it as a food that should be digested.
When we are fasting, this might or might not happen, but maybe if you take the supplements along with a cup of broth (which is allowed on the fast), then it would let your body know that it needs to process the supplements as nutrients.

I think the other comments about covered it but just for information sake here goes. the vitamins shouldn't affect your fast in the least, although i don't know how well your body will absorb them. the oil capsules are going to technically make this a fat fast, although that isn't much fat. Fat fasting has its own benefits so I definitely wouldn't worry about it. fish Oil actually is useful to the body in a fasted state and helps induce ketosis, so if weight loss in an object then i would say at the very least you lose no benefit, at best it slightly improves your effects. As for the tea, that by itself is perfect for fasting, and the stevia as previously mentioned is controversial, but i personally use it while fasting and have seen no decrease in effectiveness. P.S. make sure you are using pure stevia extract, not a stevia and erythritol blend, as sugar alcohols can have a metabolic response
--Edit: I'm new to the forum so my response was rather late, you've probably figured out already what you need to but i hope my response is useful to someone.