Napping After my Omad Meal

Some days I don't sleep as well as I should and it ends up making me feel drowsy throughout the day. The problem is that as much as I try to get back to sleep when I wake up early I can't do it and end up being more able to nap and get more sleep only after my mealtime during the afternoons. I know sleeping immediately right after the meal is bad so I try to give myself an hour or more before I lie down. However, I was wondering if this is okay since I heard that getting enough sleep is important for our body to burn fat, and I'm wondering if it's better to nap after the meal if I have to or if it's better to just power through the day because sleeping right after eating might just make me gain more weight.

Some days I don't sleep as well as I should and it ends up making me feel drowsy throughout the day. The problem is that as much as I try to get back to sleep when I wake up early I can't do it and end up being more able to nap and get more sleep only after my mealtime during the afternoons. I know sleeping immediately right after the meal is bad so I try to give myself an hour or more before I lie down. However, I was wondering if this is okay since I heard that getting enough sleep is important for our body to burn fat, and I'm wondering if it's better to nap after the meal if I have to or if it's better to just power through the day because sleeping right after eating might just make me gain more weight.
There is only one way to fight the sleep or nap. You can extend your eating window to some an hour or two before sleeping time. In this way you will have killed two birds with one stone. You will get your OMAD and sleep at the right time.

In this way you will undergo your duties without interference with sleep. Drowsiness after a heavy meal is known to exist.

There is only one way to fight the sleep or nap. You can extend your eating window to some an hour or two before sleeping time. In this way you will have killed two birds with one stone. You will get your OMAD and sleep at the right time.

In this way you will undergo your duties without interference with sleep. Drowsiness after a heavy meal is known to exist.
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think I can have my meal before bed time because it's just too much of a wait and I don't think I can do much in the afternoons with an empty stomach. Also, I think my drowsiness stems mostly from lack of sleep instead of a heavy meal because some days I just don't get to sleep as long or as well as I should, and I was more asking whether it was healthy or not to fall asleep after a meal or is it better to just try and stay awake until bed time.

I don’t see why it would not work for you to take a nap after you have a mid-day meal, @Naomi . I sometimes do this, too, when I am tired. All people have days when we have more energy and days where we have less energy, and as we get older, (sadly) this seems to happen more often. At almost 74, I wear out MUCH easier than I did when I was younger, and even though I enjoy swimming , I am often tired when we get back home from the fitness center.
After we have our mid-day meal, I will sometimes just lie down for an hour or so, and even if I don’t sleep, I do rest. Then, I have more energy again to make it through the rest of the day; but when I am that tired, and don’t rest, then I just stay tired all day long, and get much less accomplished.

I dont think it is not a good idea to take a nap after you eat. Because while we are sleeping, our body is working diligently processing that last dinner we eat and this can prompt issues running from acid reflux to a conceivable expanded hazard for a stroke.

Napping immediately after eating is not a good habit. I don't do it even if I feel very tired from my days duties.

I will always find something to keep myself busy till what I have eaten must have digested before going to sleep.

The trick to avoiding napping immediately after meal is to not lay on your bed because you are most likely going to nap off.

I have been having sleeping issues at the moment and this is making me having a thought of whether to adjust when I eat. I always take my meal in the afternoon, but it seems that moving it to the morning could work for me so that I can always have a sound sleep.

On your situation, I think you should change the time that you sleep after taking your meal to a further an extra hour or two and hope it works for you.

I don’t see why it would not work for you to take a nap after you have a mid-day meal, @Naomi . I sometimes do this, too, when I am tired. All people have days when we have more energy and days where we have less energy, and as we get older, (sadly) this seems to happen more often. At almost 74, I wear out MUCH easier than I did when I was younger, and even though I enjoy swimming , I am often tired when we get back home from the fitness center.
After we have our mid-day meal, I will sometimes just lie down for an hour or so, and even if I don’t sleep, I do rest. Then, I have more energy again to make it through the rest of the day; but when I am that tired, and don’t rest, then I just stay tired all day long, and get much less accomplished.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience with us here. I never used to nap or need to nap after the meal which is why I was starting to worry and also I was a bit concerned about digestion and fat burning when we sleep almost immediately after a meal. However, I guess you are right in that you really don't have much of a choice other than to rest when you are feeling tired, and everything else are just secondary concerns. Although, honestly one of the things that I dislike about this mostly is that once I wake up, I almost always feel hungry again, which I don't feel as much when I just keep myself awake.

In our country we have this thing we called "bangungot". It is something bad for a person that sleep whenever he just finished his meal I don't know if it is real but in my experience I got a stomach ache whenever I go to bed after eating. So i guess it is bad. Just try to walk and don't lay on bed after eating. Have a time for your stomach to grind the food first.

I am also a person that is sleepy after eating a meal. I am very sleepy when I ate a lot or when I am bloated but I believe that sleeping or just sitting is not good for our body after eating a meal. I believe that we should stand after we ate to at least burn the food we ate.

Sleep is very important to our body. Actually, for me, I consider it as part of my diet. I can lessen my intake of food but I cannot lessen my sleep because that will be my way to get energy for my day. Sleeping after meal is not bad as long as you give stomach time to rest. Every after your intake, you stomach is working for your digestion. When you decided to go to sleep immediately after meal, the process will stop and it will definitely have a negative effect to your body. So it is good to know that you give 1hr rest for your stomach to rest. Humans feel sleepy after eating because eating makes our body relaxed and heavy. Especially if you don't have enough sleep. Try to maintain a regular sleep schedule to cope up with your energy loss. Avoid being on a diet if you tend to lack sleep always. It will damage your body.

It is not recommended to have a nap after the meal. There are ways of how to fight getting sleepy after a meal. Make your mind busy, when your brain is occupied with questions you will avoid the tendency of being sleepy. After eating be sure that you have things to do, you rather wash the dishes or clean the kitchen. Moreover, I suggest you can also watch funny videos or listen to upbeat music these would make your senses alive.

I am also a person that is sleepy after eating a meal. I am very sleepy when I ate a lot or when I am bloated but I believe that sleeping or just sitting is not good for our body after eating a meal. I believe that we should stand after we ate to at least burn the food we ate.
I was like that when I was at my late 20's. But I realized that it was bad to sleep afer eaten a lot of food. So I decided to change it to avoid any serious problem with my body. Standing or just keep the food digest for a short time might help to avoid it. Stop or change the habit of sleeping after eating a lot of foods.

There are several people here asserting that taking a nap is a bad thing, somehow unhealthy. I would assert the opposite. There is no hard empirical data either way, but the preponderance of people who have thought it through consider taking a nap, on balance, to be a positive thing. If you frequently feel the need for a nap, and suffer from not taking one, it seems patently obvious to me that your life would be improved by taking the nap. The negative consequence to napping would have to be severe indeed to warrant avoiding it by suffering from fatigue for hours, daily.

Generally good advice is to listen to your body.

Many napping 'experts' suggest keeping naps to somewhere between ten to thirty minutes, as getting into the deeper parts of a sleep cycle can leave you groggy and lethargic upon waking. That's not bad advice. Another way to deal with that is to not wake during that deeper sleep, but to take a nap long enough to get a full sleep cycle, so you go through that deep sleep and out the other side. That is what I do and I am as ready to go after such a nap as I am after a full night's sleep. Sleep cycles vary from person to person but are usually around ninety minutes long.

I like what you said about listening to your body, @Panpiper , and that is what I try to do as well. Since my normal routine would be to go to the fitness center and swim for an hour in the morning, and then have my OMAD meal somewhere between 11-3, depending on how my schedule goes that day, and if I am tired from exercising, then I often lie down and rest or even sleep for a while after I eat.
I believe that our body can actually digest food better when it is not having to do anything else at the same time, so I think that a little rest after eating is a good plan if you are tired, or especially if you have a heavy meal.
Sometimes, I just have a busy schedule, and then taking any kind of a nap is not possible, so then I just work my way on through the day as best as I am able to do.
I don’t think that there is necessarily a right way or wrong way, it is what ever works for each person at any given time.

At some cultures taking a nap after a mid-day meal is part of a daily routine. And I think it is fine. Resting your body is a must even when your in a diet. Just be sure to look out for signs on your body, if you feel like it is not harming your healthy diet then it is fine.

I'm having the same problem now. I tend to wake up 3am sometime 4 am daily. I try to get back to sleep but I can't. Every after meal I was so sleepy. It's bothering me because I'm gaining weight again. They said it's okay to take a nap so I take nap 30 minutes after I finished eating.

I have been having sleeping issues at the moment and this is making me having a thought of whether to adjust when I eat. I always take my meal in the afternoon, but it seems that moving it to the morning could work for me so that I can always have a sound sleep.

On your situation, I think you should change the time that you sleep after taking your meal to a further an extra hour or two and hope it works for you.
Nice strategy. Ithink that it is one that I should also think about as it can also help me to begin the day on a stronger note since I will be full and ready to handle anything that comes my way. The adjustments might be difficult as I love the evening window due to the flexibility it accords me.

Nice strategy. Ithink that it is one that I should also think about as it can also help me to begin the day on a stronger note since I will be full and ready to handle anything that comes my way. The adjustments might be difficult as I love the evening window due to the flexibility it accords me.

Just like I said, it is not that easy for me to do so back then when it comes to adjusting the time that I take my meal. However, it has really helped me to start each day in a great way.

Having a meal always end up being sleepy after. Just try not to lean or lay as soon as you finish eating. Avoid sleeping when you eaten because it could cause something bad for you.