Is Feeling Sleepy After My Omad Meal Normal?

After having my heavy omad diet meal after the long fast of 23 hours I often feel drowsy and nap out. Is this normal or some sort if abnormasy? Is there another person who feels so?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is normal because I do experience same and I can remember once asking my instructor at the gym and it said it was normal.its the body's way of responding to the food intake, sometimes it the body way of slowing us down so as to digest the food properly.i don't even think it appropriate for one to jump to anything strenuous after just eating.So there's nothing abnormal about it.

Especially when you take heavy food, there is always that likelihood that you will want to fall asleep. I think that one thing that is necessary is for us to understand that it is a way that our body responds to digestion process.

I experienced that too. And I think it's normal. I used to eat a real heavy meal after fasting. I also taught it's not good so I fight myself not to sleep. But since I heard a lot of people saying it is just normal so I stop my worries. I nap when I can't help it.

I think this is normal because I do experience same and I can remember once asking my instructor at the gym and it said it was normal.its the body's way of responding to the food intake, sometimes it the body way of slowing us down so as to digest the food properly.i don't even think it appropriate for one to jump to anything strenuous after just eating.So there's nothing abnormal about it.
This is informative. I had thought it was abnormal. The only good thing is that the nap does not interfere with the normal sleep at night. I just fall of snd am sleeping like a log.

Another thing I realized is that my digestion has improved with OMAD. This is a great discovery.

This is informative. I had thought it was abnormal. The only good thing is that the nap does not interfere with the normal sleep at night. I just fall of snd am sleeping like a log.

Another thing I realized is that my digestion has improved with OMAD. This is a great discovery.
Good to read about your discovery,there's always good thing to read about OMAD diet and health.Sleep is a normal process or a natural thing so I think it's normal to feel sleepy after taking a good meal or a heavy food.

Feeling sleepy after a meal is a common occurrence, and it isn’t necessarily a side effect of intermittent fasting. There are actually a number of reasons why people feel sleepy after a meal, and the factors may vary depending on what you’ve actually eaten and how much.

Many foods that are rich in protein have an amino acid called tryptophan, which releases serotonin in your brain and causes you to feel drowsy. Foods that are rich with carbohydrates also help produce serotonin as well as increase the presence of tryptophan in the brain.

Now, if you also happen to be eating a hefty meal after your fast, the body diverts more circulation to the digestive system in order to process it all. Combining this with serotonin and tryptophan can result in an overwhelming feeling of sleepiness after your meal.

A while back before I got into intermittent fasting, when I had my meals in the afternoon I'd feel sleepy and would often fall asleep quickly. At that time I thought maybe it had something to do with my inability to get enough sleep at night.

There is one myth I've heard which is yet to be debunked. According to the theorists when someone has a heavy meal, there is a shift of blood flow from the brain to the stomach. I don't know if this is true or not but it could explain why you would feel sort of drowsy after your meal.

I think it is normal because eating can make you feel relaxed making you feel sleepy. It is normal for the body to feel comfortable because it take eating as its way to relax and fill up the energy loss throughout the day. I also feel sleepy after meal, especially in the afternoon where I setup my eating window.

I also felt the same way before, I feel so sleepy when I had my full meal, but it change a lot when I started my diet. I think the more you eat is the more you feel sleepy.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling sleepy when you are done with your diet after a long fast especially when you are eat heavy. It's a very common thing and as such you shouldn't fret it. Just try not to sleep immediately without the meal digesting.

Personally, I think this is normal because I've always felt the same during my diet. Whenever I finish eating, I also feel drowsy and I was actually told a lot of times to not do it because it might damage my appendix. Fortunately, my brother who's a medical technology student told me that it was fine to sleep after a meal because it won't do any harm to my body.

Yeah, I have experienced getting sleepy after having my heavy meal too but I fought it by drinking my trusted bulletproof coffee. Please try it and let me know if it works.

I experienced this too, especially if I eat a lot. This usually happens to me after lunch. I believe this is normal, this happens to a lot of people. Including me and my sister, sometimes my mom too. The only downside to this is that I noticed that I gain weight.

I think it is normal, I read the comments and most of them experienced it and I myself too. It is normal but please don't let your body sleep after you eat your meal because it is dangerous. It will slow your digestion and will make you fat because you didn't move long enough while digesting your food.

Yes, I also feel sleepy after a meal. I guess the next question is if I sleep or just lie down after a meal, is that okay? In terms of a person who's not doing any sort of diet, is it generally okay to lie down or sleep it off, maybe for like 15 to 30 minutes? Or is there a scientific or medical reason for me not to do that? I usually take a nap after meals, especially lunch time. How bad could it be? Especially now that I am trying to adopt keto or omad.

To be honest, it's a common state of affairs, even when not on OMAD. I feel energetic when hungry, and sleepy and lazy after eating. That's one of basic human instincts. :)