Is Eating Fatty Pork Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pork cracklings to achieve ketosis? Definitely a question for the experts. Can't answer that. But in my opinion, as a non-expert, the most unhealthy meat in the world to eat is PORK!! But it tastes soooooo good! Especially cracklings! So yummy! I love them! :D Let me put it this way. I believe all foods are good. If there is something on this planet that is edible, then it was made by the Creator to be received with thanksgiving. However, I would not recommend a steady diet of pork cracklings. They are high in saturated fat and sodium content. But a nibble every once in a while can't kill you. I know because … I'm still alive! :D

https://www.livestrong.com/article/469017-how-to-cook-pork-jowl-bacon/

https://www.myketokitchen.com/keto-recipes/zero-carb-crunchy-baked-pork-rinds/

The ketogenic diet is basically a low carb/high fat/medium protein way of eating. Since the thing we are trying to correct with our diet is having the insulin spikes (which then cause insulin resistance, obesity, and then diabetes), the keto diet plan focuses on all kinds of fatty foods. Proteins are allowed in moderation, so fatty cuts of meat are actually better for this diet than lean cuts are.
Carbs are limited to about 20 grams per day , in order to keep you in ketosis and burning fat all of the time, which means that you can have plenty of salad greens, but other complex carb veggies only in moderation.

However..... just because you are burning fat , does NOT mean that you are automatically burning your own body fat; so even though you are eating a ketogenic diet, you still need to be aware that if you are overeating, you will simply be burning the fats that you are eating, and thus, not losing any weight.
Fat and protein will give you that satisfied/full feeling for many hours longer than you would have when eating carbs and burning sugar for fuel, so the LCHF diet is a great one to use along with intermittent fasting, which then allows you to be burning off body fat, which is the purpose of the whole diet , anyway.

I love that crackling pork rind called “chicharon” in the Philippines. Pork is part of our culture especially the roasted pig which is usually the centerpiece of occasions. Regarding the health issues of pork, I don’t believe that it is unhealthy albeit it is healthier to eat pork than chicken or beef. We all know that red meat has lots of fats and cholesterol while chicken meat is now causing allergy due to the chemicals given to the chicken. Anyway, pork is good to eat as long as it is cooked well.

The ketogenic diet is basically a low carb/high fat/medium protein way of eating. Since the thing we are trying to correct with our diet is having the insulin spikes (which then cause insulin resistance, obesity, and then diabetes), the keto diet plan focuses on all kinds of fatty foods. Proteins are allowed in moderation, so fatty cuts of meat are actually better for this diet than lean cuts are.
Carbs are limited to about 20 grams per day , in order to keep you in ketosis and burning fat all of the time, which means that you can have plenty of salad greens, but other complex carb veggies only in moderation.

However..... just because you are burning fat , does NOT mean that you are automatically burning your own body fat; so even though you are eating a ketogenic diet, you still need to be aware that if you are overeating, you will simply be burning the fats that you are eating, and thus, not losing any weight.
Fat and protein will give you that satisfied/full feeling for many hours longer than you would have when eating carbs and burning sugar for fuel, so the LCHF diet is a great one to use along with intermittent fasting, which then allows you to be burning off body fat, which is the purpose of the whole diet , anyway.

Does that mean pork cracklings are allowable in an OMAD keto diet? I mean it's high fat and to achieve ketosis you need fat right? If it turns out to be allowable in the diet then that would make me a happy man .

Does that mean pork cracklings are allowable in an OMAD keto diet? I mean it's high fat and to achieve ketosis you need fat right? If it turns out to be allowable in the diet then that would make me a happy man .
As far as I have read, they are fine. I am not sure if that is the same thing that they sell here which are called fried pork rinds; but it sounds like it would be similar.
The ones they sell here are deep fried and puffy, and can be eaten like you would a potato chip or tortilla chip, and many people use them with a dip, or even crush them and use the crumbs like you would use bread crumbs to flour chicken or other meat.
Since there is no carbs in these, they work fine on a keto diet, although the ones here are pretty salty. I have eaten them before, but I don’t like all of the salt, so I stopped buying them.
Another thing that I tried was making crackers from almond meal and ground flax seeds, and that turned out to be a great snack, and I will probably make that again. It has a few carbs, but mostly just fiber, so they are still fine to eat, and not so salty as the pork rinds.

Does that mean pork cracklings are allowable in an OMAD keto diet? I mean it's high fat and to achieve ketosis you need fat right? If it turns out to be allowable in the diet then that would make me a happy man.

I read the response by the HappyFlowerLady and I wasn't talking about those kinds of pork rinds. Yeah. We can buy those in the store. I used to get a bag when I was a kid. They're sold right next to the potato chips. But as far am I'm concerned, those aren't cracklings. They're just hot air with some pork flavoring. You could probably eat a bunch of those! But the real crackling made from the skin that's torn off from the ham you buy at the store, the skin that gets roasted in the oven and becomes really crispy. That lip-smacking tasty kind of crackling. Come on! Who are we kidding? That food ain't no diet food for any kind of diet! We might be tempted to find a reason to justify eating it. But pork cracklings are just a pure guilty pleasure. :D:D

I read the response by the HappyFlowerLady and I wasn't talking about those kinds of pork rinds. Yeah. We can buy those in the store. I used to get a bag when I was a kid. They're sold right next to the potato chips. But as far am I'm concerned, those aren't cracklings. They're just hot air with some pork flavoring. You could probably eat a bunch of those! But the real crackling made from the skin that's torn off from the ham you buy at the store, the skin that gets roasted in the oven and becomes really crispy. That lip-smacking tasty kind of crackling. Come on! Who are we kidding? That food ain't no diet food for any kind of diet! We might be tempted to find a reason to justify eating it. But pork cracklings are just a pure guilty pleasure. :D:D

From what you are describing, it is still just meat and fat; so there are no carbs in this. With a keto diet, the only thing that is deeply regulated are carbs, because they spike insulin and can cause you to store unwanted fat.
Plus, you can’t even burn body fat when your insulin is high.
Probably this is not the healthiest food to be eating, for sure, and as long as you are just having it as a treat occasionally, it wouldn’t be a big thing. However, if you are looking for more than just weight loss, and want to be as healthy as possible, then eating more fresh Whole Foods, salads and greens, and complex carbs, will be a lot better choice than greasy pork skins.

As far as I have read, they are fine. I am not sure if that is the same thing that they sell here which are called fried pork rinds; but it sounds like it would be similar.
The ones they sell here are deep fried and puffy, and can be eaten like you would a potato chip or tortilla chip, and many people use them with a dip, or even crush them and use the crumbs like you would use bread crumbs to flour chicken or other meat.
Since there is no carbs in these, they work fine on a keto diet, although the ones here are pretty salty. I have eaten them before, but I don’t like all of the salt, so I stopped buying them.
Another thing that I tried was making crackers from almond meal and ground flax seeds, and that turned out to be a great snack, and I will probably make that again. It has a few carbs, but mostly just fiber, so they are still fine to eat, and not so salty as the pork rinds.

Yep, it's the same as here we call them pork cracklings or Chicharon. It's made out of pork rind with back fat and a little meat and there's also a variant which is the puffy looking one, that's pure rind. Now I'm happy haha since I can include those in my diet. Here its not that salty and it's best eaten dipped in spiced vinegar, it's so delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.