Intermittent Fasting is important for seniors !

One of the things we older people tend to be concerned about as we get older, is becoming forgetful, or (even worse) getting Alzheimer’s disease. Since Alzheimer’s is now being considered a type of diabetes that affects the brain, and starves it; it is important to fast and let your body learn to burn fat ketones instead of sugar.
Fasting itself helps to regenerate brain cells, and promote cognitive health, so we are able to use our memory even as we get older.

Not only does intermittent fasting help to increase our mental functions, but it is believed that it can also help a person to actually increase their lifespan. In tests with laboratory rats, it was discovered that the rats who were put on fasting schedules every few days actually were in better health, and lived longer than the rats that were fed every day, or had food available constantly.

Of course, with seniors, it is important to talk with your doctor about doing OMAD or any schedule of intermittent fasting, especially when you are on any kind of medications; but over all, as long as a person is basically in good health, then skipping meals is a productive thing.

I have been practicing OMAD diet since January. I just love how it works. My family is aware of my diet. I informed them so they could at least support me if they do not want to join me. After several months, my parentd and some of my cousins are now doing OMAD diet. I wish I can also convince my grandparents about OMAD diet. Now I see your post I can now show this to somehow tell them that it is good for them. I know that OMAD diet is good for our body but I really don't have the idea that it also helps us mentally.

Is it just old age that causes this Alzheimer’s disease or is there any other thing that makes people fall victim to this horrible health problem? As good as fasting helps to regenerate cells, would it be enough to prevent older people from suffering Alzheimer’s disease? My father is around 87 years old, so I would like to know if it's healthy to place him on diet.

It might rely upon the health of the senior in the first place. If they're on medications it might be essential to test or work with a physician and there might be many issues with medications. If they're under weight in addition, they shouldn’t try fasting.
Fasting is a totally effective kind of remedy for the body and must be handled with a few care. However there isn’t any actual reason why a senior in right health can’t fast.

Is it just old age that causes this Alzheimer’s disease or is there any other thing that makes people fall victim to this horrible health problem?
Apart from age, genes or environmental factors can also determine whether one will get Alzheimers or not. So while age certainly is a determining factor the previous two can also play a role. There are genes for instance that are associated with a higher probability of developing Alzheimers for seniors.
About 70% of the risk is believed to be genetic with many genes usually involved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease
As good as fasting helps to regenerate cells, would it be enough to prevent older people from suffering Alzheimer’s disease?
Fasting may help prevent Alzheimers but there are no guarantees that it will.

Great information. I'm not a senior yet, however I was thinking about introducing my parents who are nearly seniors to intermittent fasting. I like the results I have had with OMAD, apart from feeling cold all the time(even when it's hot) I feel great. I have more energy, I love being slimmer and I don't get sick all the time like I used to. I was thinking of introducing them to the 16-8 protocol first where they skip breakfast and have lunch and dinner and slowly graduate to One Meal a Day. I'm definitely going to take on this challange considering the results of the study.

Thank you for sharing this information with us. I have a grandmother and I noticed how she changed her diet. I realized how important it is to be health cautious as we grow up. Good thing that I have learned OMAD in my early years so that I could prevent some diseases that I may have if I will not take caution to what I am eating.

I'm not a senior yet but it's actually why I have started the OMAD lifestyle so I could possibly have less to worry about healthwise once I get there. Also, I'm partly doing this to test it out properly and be able to recommend it to my parents and other family members, as I do feel good and definitely much better than I did when I was eating three full meals a day. The only concern I have is that my dad is diabetic and still works a lot, so he might not be able to cope as easily with feeling hungry or even dizzy, but hopefully one day we get to work out a plan for him that is not too extreme just so he can be eased in to the process and maybe it could even help with his illness.