Feel sick

I broke my 24 hour fast and now I feel sick. Dizzy and feel like I want to throw up. Is that normal? I ate 2 bananas, 2 oranges, red cabbage and black beans with cornbread. 6.75 oz of apple juice and water. I am at work and feel like crap.

I broke my 24 hour fast and now I feel sick. Dizzy and feel like I want to throw up. Is that normal? I ate 2 bananas, 2 oranges, red cabbage and black beans with cornbread. 6.75 oz of apple juice and water. I am at work and feel like crap.

It really depends on the length of time you've been doing OMAD because if it's just a few days then you should be doing fine but if it's a week or more then your body has already acclimated to the diet and eating food outside your normal schedule may have triggered a digestive problem. Basically your body is not accustomed to digest food on the time you've eaten it.

I am no expert but sometimes this happens to me when I just came off of a binge and changed my diet too drastically. I always assumed it was mostly just blood sugar levels affecting me since it felt like that, and when that happens I usually just eat a regular meal to get rid of the dizziness and nausea and then afterwards try to more slowly get into a proper fast. I haven't felt this in a while though since I've gotten very much used to just eating once a day but I might feel that way if I only ate as little as you did. If I were to do this I think I would slowly ween myself off carbohydrates and probably that may bring about less discomfort.

I think this mostly happens when one just starts a routine. The body will always be in that adjustment mode and within that time frame it likely to affect the system and makes one experience all sorts,but gradually reduce your intake don't go all at once,so that the body can adjust gradually as well.good luck.

I agree take it slow. I think you have eaten too much food. It's also not advised that you have fruits and food together. The reaction can cause you indigestion.What I normally do after a 24 hour fast is that I split my meal into two. I have a small meal like soup and vegetables. After a while I have a bigger meal of vegetables, protein and maybe avacado. Don't stuff your face because your trying to eat all your calories in one go. Eat as mach or little as you can. Your body will adjust and tell you how much you need to eat. Take it one day at a time.

I think your body is adjusting to your new diet plan. Just see to it that you do OMAD diet correctly. Don't starve yourself. Drink water, tea, or coffee whenever you feel hungry but it's not yet time for you to eat.

I am no expert but sometimes this happens to me when I just came off of a binge and changed my diet too drastically. I always assumed it was mostly just blood sugar levels affecting me since it felt like that, and when that happens I usually just eat a regular meal to get rid of the dizziness and nausea and then afterwards try to more slowly get into a proper fast. I haven't felt this in a while though since I've gotten very much used to just eating once a day but I might feel that way if I only ate as little as you did. If I were to do this I think I would slowly ween myself off carbohydrates and probably that may bring about less discomfort.
I agree ma'am, same here. Maybe it be better not to force yourself that much. It'll be very difficult to change your way of eating that fast. Better to apply OMAD slowly. Starving yourself so much might take you in some serious risks.

Tanara,
everything you ate is loaded with sugar.. bananas oranges cornbread and apple juice.. would have caused your insulin to go into overdrive.. if i have this kind of sugar in my one meal a day i instantly want to vomit, nausea and instant fatigue.. worst feeling ever... my advice... adapt to a more keto lifestyle and remove the devil whites.. sugar and flour.. veggies, meats, fats, cheeses and other full fat dairy... and you should minimize this insulin spike and ill feelings... sorry you experienced this... I did a 21 day sugar detox, (highly recommend to everyone) then I started OMAD already in ketosis.. wasnt hungry and cravings were gone... and sliding over was a cinch.. one day i took 4 sips of my cafe latte kefir.. i was instantly ill.. wanted to vomit-didnt and had to go to lay down... worst feeling ever.. wont drink those any more.. too much sugar.. my pancreas and liver revolted!

I am afraid of that condition that’s why I am taking it very slow with my transition to OMAD. Where before that I eat 3 meals a day, now I am observing myself in skipping dinner. If I can endure that for a week or 2 then I could probably try skipping breakfast as well and that is already OMAD. I am careful now because I don’t want to be disappointed with myself in giving up this diet because this may be the last effective diet for me.

Tanara,
everything you ate is loaded with sugar.. bananas oranges cornbread and apple juice.. would have caused your insulin to go into overdrive.. if i have this kind of sugar in my one meal a day i instantly want to vomit, nausea and instant fatigue.. worst feeling ever... my advice... adapt to a more keto lifestyle and remove the devil whites.. sugar and flour.. veggies, meats, fats, cheeses and other full fat dairy... and you should minimize this insulin spike and ill feelings... sorry you experienced this... I did a 21 day sugar detox, (highly recommend to everyone) then I started OMAD already in ketosis.. wasnt hungry and cravings were gone... and sliding over was a cinch.. one day i took 4 sips of my cafe latte kefir.. i was instantly ill.. wanted to vomit-didnt and had to go to lay down... worst feeling ever.. wont drink those any more.. too much sugar.. my pancreas and liver revolted!
I think you may be right. I feel this way whenever I have even just half a bottle of soda with my one meal a day. During most days when I stick to just healthier foods, I never experience any discomfort but whenever I've had too much sugar with my meal by drinking some soda by night time I'm feeling dizzy and need to eat again just to calm my nerves down.

I’m thinking that you might be feeling sick due to an extreme drop in blood sugar. The food that you ate is extremely carbohydrate heavy, which likely triggered a large insulin spike. It’s most likely that your blood sugar skyrocketed from the insulin response, and then dropped to below average which would result in you feeling dizzy and weak.

When you break your fast, try doing so with foods that aren’t so heavy in sugar and carbohydrates. Try meats, eggs, and non-starchy vegetables instead of fruits, juices, and breads.

I think your body is adjusting to your new diet plan. Just see to it that you do OMAD diet correctly. Don't starve yourself. Drink water, tea, or coffee whenever you feel hungry but it's not yet time for you to eat.
Bone both might also help actually. Speaking from experience and having spent the last one month drinking it I can actually testify to the benefits it has. I started doing it after getting a tip here on this platform and I have never regretted ever since.

A lot of things might be the reason why you feel the way you do when you broke your 24 hours fast but I think priority should be place on your body adapting and adjusting to being so long with any food in your system.

If you are still new to fasting and OMAD, it might be why you felt that way. With time, I'm sure that your body would get the hang of it and react well once you are done with your fast the moment you eat.

Tanara,
Are you feeling better now? I hope you are. During my first week in OMAD diet I felt that way too but a little milder than yours. I also felt weak and a little dizzy but I did not vomit. I hope you practice a gentler transistion from your past diet to OMAD diet. It is better if you will try to avoid rushing things. I am really not sure if this is your first days in OMAD diet and I am not an expert but having a good transition works well with OMAD. What I know for sure is that your body is still adjusting with OMAD for now.
I hope everything is well.

I’m thinking that you might be feeling sick due to an extreme drop in blood sugar. The food that you ate is extremely carbohydrate heavy, which likely triggered a large insulin spike. It’s most likely that your blood sugar skyrocketed from the insulin response, and then dropped to below average which would result in you feeling dizzy and weak.

When you break your fast, try doing so with foods that aren’t so heavy in sugar and carbohydrates. Try meats, eggs, and non-starchy vegetables instead of fruits, juices, and breads.
I honestly never thought fruits could contribute to this happening although now that you mention it, I guess it is still the same sugar even though it's a healthier food to eat. I agree that it's probably better to change from fruits to something a bit blander especially if this small amount is all you are going to eat because the few times I have eaten small amounts but had a sugary drink or dish I ended up feeling dizzy and shaky at night and basically had to give in and eat another meal just to get rid of the feeling.