Day One of my Journey to OMAD

Hello everyone. I am starting this eating plan today. I have done this previously with good results, but let myself gain back a few pounds. I am a "young" senior citizen and have been on almost every "diet" around with success but always get back into my old ways of eating. I now have around 15# to lose after losing around 40#. I have gained and lost so much in my lifetime. I was at goal earlier this year; but, sadly, let the pounds creep back on. I will appreciate any advice and tips. My biggest problem is portion control; so, to get me started, I have used a prepared frozen meal along with salad, yogurt and blueberries for today. I exercise every day.

Hello, @sue227 , and welcome to the forum ! I am SO HAPPY to have found another senior here, and hope that you will enjoy the forum and post a lot. I am an “older” (gosh, I hate saying that !) senior, and have had a lifelong battle with being overweight. After deciding that starving continuously was not how I wanted to live my life, I found low carb, and then ketogenic, and that seems to work the best for me so far. I can eat less and not have hunger pangs all day.
Most days, I do just the one meal (OMAD); but some days, I have a light snack like an apple or cottage cheese later in the day; so then it would be an intermittent fasting day instead of OMAD.
As long as I keep the carbs down, and stick to whole fresh foods, I can do this; but when I don’t, then I have to work back through getting into keto again.

Hello Happyflowerlady. Thank you for your warm welcome. Sounds like you have your plan figured out and am happy that it is working. Glad we seniors can do this together. I have fought this weight problem all of my life. I just love to eat :)
I made it through Day 1 and scale was down 2# today. Know that it is water weight, but, hey, I'll take it.
Going to eat my meal this evening as I have to be away most of the day.
Have a blessed day.

Even though I have the plan figured out, some days are easier than others, @sue227 . The same is true for my exercise plan. I know I need to exercise each day, but some days I get a lot more exercise in, and then there are the “lazy” days, where I don’t accomplish much at all. I think that this depends on my energy level, which is sometimes up and sometimes down.
My appetite seems to vary, as well, and some days, I don’t need much and I am full, and other days, it feels like there is a big hole in my stomach and I am starving. Then, I usually make some veggie broth, or something that is at least close to fasting, and just try to make it through the day as best as I can, and know that it will be better tomorrow.
When I was younger, my body adjusted for temperature; but now it seems like there is either too cold, or too hot, and not much in between.

Week 1 for me was a bit bizarre with a brain fog that felt like early dementia. After the first week you start to build confidence and not panic just because you have hunger pains. Water and more water helps that a lot and helps the whole fasting process.

Welcome to the forum and good to have you here.OMAD diet has been effective for many people including me and I can personally attest to this.We just have to stick to the rules and see the fat falls off.The main problem here is always hunger pangs which I believe is normal but with determination and seeing the results even before it start manifesting should be our motivating force. Take intermittent water during your fasting period to keep hunger at Bay and then proceed to eat during your eating period.Do it for a while and I'm sure you wouldn't regret you did.

Hi too @sue227 and welcome very much to the diet. Take heart and be courageous for you will be able to pull through. I always admire the persistent people and you have shown that you have some desirable level of persistence by being able to push yourself to come back and have some more of Omad. Some beverages can help you to adapt more easily like the ones reccommended on the platform.

Taking the courage to start is the most difficult point in OMAD but once you have made up your mind and focus on starting and sticking with one meal a day, you are definitely going to get used to it.

I won't lie to you, the first few weeks would be difficult and if you are not determined to pull it off, you are most likely going to quit along the way. Just be confident and convinced that the benefits of OMAD will do you go and stay committed to doing it.

I wish you the best of luck.

My advice for you is not to stop exercising when doing Omad. I do light exercising for five minutes every day and it has really been helpful to me in controlling the urge to eat as I like. However, you need to have a strong mind not to go back to the old ways as well.

For me, when I first started, I also had a lot of confusion as to how eating just once a day could possibly work, as I imagined I would be so hungry by night time, but after I tried it on the first day I was really surprised at how long I was able to go without food and probably was just mostly eating dinner out of habit in the past because I realized I didn't really need it once I started paying more attention. I think that's one of the biggest benefits and also one of the most helpful tool of OMAD because once you start eating just once a day you are more able to focus on food intake and the actual feeling of hunger and from there you could just keep tweaking your own formula and routine here and there.

Hello Happyflowerlady. Thank you for your warm welcome. Sounds like you have your plan figured out and am happy that it is working. Glad we seniors can do this together. I have fought this weight problem all of my life. I just love to eat :)
I made it through Day 1 and scale was down 2# today. Know that it is water weight, but, hey, I'll take it.
Going to eat my meal this evening as I have to be away most of the day.
Have a blessed day.
I am also thrilled to have some seniors on board this platform. The fact that they have lived longer can really help us as we need some tips from time to time about what has been the norm throughout history and things that have worked for a long period. It also helps to show that really there is no time too late to do anything and goals can be accomplished at any age.