Lifting heavy weights is not recommended

I suppose it’s going to depend on an individual’s body/metabolism, but I found that there is absolutely nothing wrong with lifting heavy weights while on OMAD.

If you eat foods that are high in fat/protein and low in carbohydrates, your blood sugar levels are going to remain relatively at the same level. Because of this, there isn’t a chance for your blood sugar to spike and then drop, meaning that you shouldn’t end up feeling dizzy unless you have blood pressure problems, which are an almost unrelated issue.

Fasting also increases your level of human growth hormone, making it easier to put on muscle. Personally, I’ll keep on lifting and doing OMAD.
Great Post!
It almost seems that most of the people on board here are actually “unhappy” with a positive change.
I can almost hear it: I’m sorry, I just can’t do such and such because, (sniff) ....I’m only allowed to have one meal.....a day (sniff).”.

If people would crack the books, do the research or even turn to the home page here, they’d find that there is Nothing they can’t physically nor mentally do whilst on OMAD.
Granted, we’re all different and we each have to struggle with different issues and it’s also a given that OMAD isn’t for everybody but the biggest reason for failure isn’t the concept of one meal a day, it’s the lack of understanding one’s own physiology.

Thank you to the lifters on this thread. I have lost over 50 pounds and have been keeping motivated to continue by signing up for periodic Spartan races, which I absolutely need to lift heavy for if I want to heft my butt over 8 foot walls! I would like to lose 30 more, but have been plateauing for over a year and need to reintroduce fasting: OMAD is the only thing that ever worked for me outside of full juice fasting (where I lost my 50). In short: I want to lift heavy AND fast! It's just a matter of getting through the 7 hours of hunger post-workout before eating time that is daunting me now. :p

Thank you to the lifters on this thread. I have lost over 50 pounds and have been keeping motivated to continue by signing up for periodic Spartan races, which I absolutely need to lift heavy for if I want to heft my butt over 8 foot walls! I would like to lose 30 more, but have been plateauing for over a year and need to reintroduce fasting: OMAD is the only thing that ever worked for me outside of full juice fasting (where I lost my 50). In short: I want to lift heavy AND fast! It's just a matter of getting through the 7 hours of hunger post-workout before eating time that is daunting me now. :p
Wow, you have a pretty “full plate” (pun intended).
On one hand, you’re looking for endurance and on the other you’re looking for more musclular strength. Combining the two in training is pretty hard row to hoe.

Since your biggest concern right now is the plateau you’re experiencing, there might be a small solution. Even whilst on the OMAD diet, it’s still important “feed” your body within 20-30 minutes after a hard workout to prevent a catabolic state to set in. For the aerobic folks, that may be okay but for those who are trying to build muscle AND endurance, it’s a no-no.
There is nothing in the rules that say you can’t have a protein shake laced with 10 grams or so of BCAA’s in the mix directly after a workout. Even if it were against the rules, I still do it and will always do it. The BCAA’s help direct traffic and prevents our body from snatching up much needed protein and directs it to go into fat stores and the carbs in the shake in order to produce much needed glucose. Merely staying hydrated isn’t going to do the whole job you’re looking for.

Another solution to the plateau problem is to switch up your routine. Everyone who is really into bodybuilding and endurance gets stuck in a rut with their routines. Switch up. Hypertrophy one day, endurance another and aerobic on another with a mandatory 6 to 8 hour differential in between to prevent your body from overlapping. 6 weeks or so later, switch it up again. With that, change the number of sets, use drop weight sets and the number of reps. Basically, do anything you can do to catch your muscle memory off guard.

Hope this helps little lady. I’m looking forward to hearing more of your progress.........

Hello, @waywardcompass , and welcome to the OMAD diet forum ! We do not have a lot of weight lifters here, so it is great to have another one and give @Bobby Cole someone that he can converse with about bodybuilding.
It sounds like you must be fasting for a long time after you do your weight training ? I think that would be hard because 7 hours is a long time. We go to the fitness center in the morning, and then I have my OMAD meal after we get back home, so I am never waiting hours before I eat.
Maybe , a protein drink after your workout ? That would break the fast, but it would also give you something to help sustain your for the 7 hours before you have your food, and it would still be only one actual meal per day ?
I often have at least part of a protein drink before we go to the fitness center, just depending on how early in the morning we go, and what time I got out of bed.

Thanks Bobby Cole and HappyFlower Lady! I really like your suggestion about the protein / amino acids shortly after the workout. My workday constrains my gym time to early mornings, and I will be having my one meal at around 3 pm. I'll definitely take your advice and incorporate those things in a shake of some sort right after my workout on days that I go to the gym. Currently I am working on my cardio on top of a 3-day split; leg day, back/biceps, and chest/triceps. I'm stronger than I've ever been, but I have goals that I need to obtain both in the realm of muscle and also in weight loss! I know there's a lot of conflicting research out there regarding cutting and losing simultaneously. My goal is to be able to rock out a pull up and lose my belly fat at the same time. Lol!

I start tomorrow, wish me luck! I'm nervous about getting through those hungry hours.

Thanks Bobby Cole and HappyFlower Lady! I really like your suggestion about the protein / amino acids shortly after the workout. My workday constrains my gym time to early mornings, and I will be having my one meal at around 3 pm. I'll definitely take your advice and incorporate those things in a shake of some sort right after my workout on days that I go to the gym. Currently I am working on my cardio on top of a 3-day split; leg day, back/biceps, and chest/triceps. I'm stronger than I've ever been, but I have goals that I need to obtain both in the realm of muscle and also in weight loss! I know there's a lot of conflicting research out there regarding cutting and losing simultaneously. My goal is to be able to rock out a pull up and lose my belly fat at the same time. Lol!

I start tomorrow, wish me luck! I'm nervous about getting through those hungry hours.
You’ll do great I am sure and it sounds like a good plan for training. As long as the cardio doesn’t overlap hypertrophy within an 8 -10 hour period it should work just fine. If there is an overlap, you’re stuck with the results you’d get from doing just cardio which is great for weight loss and mobility but lousy for building good muscle mass.

Have fun and don’t worry about the hunger thing. Frankly, a lot of hunger a person feels after a heavy workout is because of the loss of electrolytes so instead of drinking straight water throughout the day, I put 3 or 4 scoops of Hydrasurge electrolyte powder by Jacked Factory into a gallon of water and that keeps me going all day long. Sometimes after a heavy workout I can also get some pretty stout stomach cramps from dehydration and water just doesn’t do the whole job hence the need for some supplemental stuff.

Again, have fun and don’t be a stranger!

Yay! I'm so psyched I found you guys. Going strong so far, but the day is early :p All these suggestions are great, I'm definitely more confident that this is doable now. :)

When I first started this lifestyle, I actually worked my way into it, because I first started with simply moving my dinner meal up to no later than 4PM, which gave me an overnight fast.
Next, I stopped having a regular breakfast , and just having a protein drink before we go to the fitness center. Once I was comfortable with that, then I stopped the protein drinks (at least part of the time), and had my meal somewhere between 11-3, depending on how the schedule goes for each day.

I think that this would also work for you if you have trouble just starting right off with one meal a day, because you would still be doing intermittent fasting.
What is important is just to test things out to see what works best for you, and that you can live with comfortably.

By the way, there is also a Facebook group for this forum, in case you enjoy that. Go to the main page of this website (where all of Jimmy’s blog information is located), and then scroll down the page, and you will see the icons for social media.

Hhhhuuuuuunnnngryyyyy!!!! I'm an old hat at fasting though, so I've got this. What I'm wondering is how long we can eat at a calorie deficit like this without experiencing a metabolic slowdown.

Hhhhuuuuuunnnngryyyyy!!!! I'm an old hat at fasting though, so I've got this. What I'm wondering is how long we can eat at a calorie deficit like this without experiencing a metabolic slowdown.
I know you have it handled for sure! It’s all part of training isn’t it. A little ache here, a little ache there and it hurts soooo good! :)
The beauty of the OMAD diet (beyond the supplementation we were conversing about) is that you can eat virtually anything. You’re still in control of how many calories you take in just like you were on 3 meals a day.
One thing I might mention is to enjoy some extra casein proteins like those contained in cottage cheese. They metabolize much much slower than any other proteins and will last you through the night and help with the morning hunger pangs you might be suffering.

Tomorrow is another good day to train. Go for it!!

Actually, many athletes and body builders use intermittent fasting and OMAD as a way to make their body healthier, and increase the hormones that help with muscle building.
During fasting, when we are in recovery mode, and insulin is lowest, then our body will produce a lot more HGH (human growth hormone) as well as testosterone for men. Both of these hormones are necessary for building muscles, so fasting is important to many body builders, and they do lift heavy weights on a regular basis.

That being said, if a person is not used to lifting weights, then when you first start daily fasting is probably not a good time to overdue the weightlifting.
Here is a link to the article on the main forum page regarding exercise and weightlifting.
https://omaddiet.com/omad-exercising-training-tips/
I totally agree! I know numerous people who have been strength training while doing OMAD and they say it feels better than before when they ate lots. For me as a beginner to this I will not heavily weigh train or do HIIT for a couple of months. I want my body to get used to this WOE first. Thanks for responding Happy flower with good facts in regards to this post!