one meal a day and being a diabetic

S

Stachen

Will this OMAD lifestyle work safely for a diabetic? I'm just curious to see if its going to be a good fit for me. This really looks like a diet that would work for me.

you may need to adjust your meds because you will end up eating less overall. I would monitor my blood sugar closely during the fast just to be safe. Just remember that hypoglycemia (due to too much meds on less food or no food) is much more of an emergent situation than hyperglycemia.

I have a niece who is a juvenile diabetic. She is 29 years old and quite overweight so I am thinking of inviting her to go OMAD. But her parents disagreed, my sister is a nurse and her husband is a doctor. There is the danger of going hypoglycemia which is the extreme lowering of blood sugar and that is dangerous because my niece could die.

My mother is diabetic, type 2. She was advised to watch her diet. Eat minimal balanced meals frequently and of course, keep watch on the sugar intake. OMAD can't be done unless it can be done with diabetes type 1.
Type 1 diabetes, once known as juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes
Type 2 diabetes your body does not use insulin properly. This is called insulin resistance.

I have a niece who is a juvenile diabetic. She is 29 years old and quite overweight so I am thinking of inviting her to go OMAD. But her parents disagreed, my sister is a nurse and her husband is a doctor. There is the danger of going hypoglycemia which is the extreme lowering of blood sugar and that is dangerous because my niece could die.

I agree. It will be difficult for diabetics to have OMAD. Even for non-diabetics it's kind of challenging. Diabetics have to watch what they eat and avoid possible complications. Restrictive diets makes it a lot harder for them to keep at what works for them. So maybe there are more suitable alternatives.

And maybe she should consider what they said. After all, they're both medical professionals. They only have her best interests at heart.

I think that in the long-term, OMAD could actually help you manage your condition better. Don’t quote me on this, but if I remember correctly, a combination of intermittent fasting (such as an OMAD diet) combined with a ketogenic diet has been shown to vastly improve the symptoms of Type 2 diabetes.

Intermittent fasting alone is going to improve your condition due to the fact that you’re limiting your body’s need for insulin by only eating once a day, therefore reducing insulin resistance over time. A ketogenic diet helps immensely as well, given that the diet promotes eating minimal carbohydrates and foods which are very low on the glycemic index, meaning it would be an excellent choice for managing blood sugar.

However, given that diabetes is a serious condition, I'd highly recommend checking in with a trained physician before making any drastic dietary changes. Some of us here might be familiar with diet and nutrition, but I'd wager that most of us are not qualified to be giving serious advice.

They say fasting can treat diabetes. Maybe OMAD is too extreme for this? I would definitely seek medical advise. What I would recommend is that she goes on a low carb diet. At least with a low carb diet she can eat regularly and still loose weight. I think it also depends on what kind of diabetes you have e.g is one or two? I would be interested to know the dynamics of this because I also have a cousin who has diabetes two and her weight and eating is out of control.

Will this OMAD lifestyle work safely for a diabetic? I'm just curious to see if its going to be a good fit for me. This really looks like a diet that would work for me.

im a type 2 diabetic using basal and bolus insulin
and im on day 6 of the OMAD plan
i do my own insulin adjusting and have had to
reduce my insulin a little already
how many tests a day do you do?
just asking because you would need to test alot
to make sure of no low blood sugars
and i have read that this woe is very helpful too

When I read The Obesity Code ( a major bestseller for health), it stated that most diabetics can reverse the diabetes when they lower their insulin, and thereby lower their insulin resistance.
Insulin lowers blood sugar, so if you are burning fat ketones from the keto diet, and not having insulin spikes, then I would think that your blood sugar should not drop too low, but this is probably something that you would want to research more. Dr. Fung also has a book out called The Diabetes Code, and that would completely explain the correlation between intermittent fasting and type 2 diabetes. You can get the ebook on Amazon, and Dr. Fung also has several videos on youtube that talk about thei subject.

If you have been intermittent fasting for a week with no problems, then it would seem like it is working good for you, and you should see an improvement in your blood sugar levels, @pinkbell .

I think it will help you but then it depends on the type of diabetes. First, consult your doctor before starting any diet. They would be able to recommend appropriate programs or adjust your timing for your medications for the diet and approve restrictions.

I think in the long run adapting this diet can actually be helpful for diabetes but on the way there it may carry some risks that aren't present with people without the disease. I myself may have it and feel a bit lightheaded on some days for one reason or another, and pretty much have to give in and break my fasting period because I need to eat to get rid of the feeling, but on most days I do feel fine and I'm able to fast without a hitch and I'd even say that doing it for longer has just made me more used to it and the more I am able to stick to just eating once a day the less I've had to deal with the dizziness and body shaking.