Omad when Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been rendered incapacitated due to a serious case of 'man flu'. Should I suspend the OMAD until I get better, or carry on as normal? I dont want to go backwards in my weight loss, but I have very little energy as it is.
What do you guys think?

Hi dingerbel. I would suspend omad until you start feeling better. I would make sure you are getting plenty of hydration and all your vitamins and minerals.

Thanks Jackie and Jimmy, I am on the mend. I did a quick weight check and even though I put the OMAD for a few days and didn't go exercise, I haven't put anything on, so all good!

Glad to hear you did well over the course of your sickness and didn't gain weight. I do think it's okay to put the diet on pause for a while as it doesn't really seem to cause much harm when you take a break and it's actually one of the great things about it because you don't have to stress too much about it as you would with other diets and once you get back on it starts working for you again. I think as long as you don't go overboard on your break and don't fall in too deep that you don't go back to OMAD then you should be okay. Hope you feel better and I'm glad to hear that taking a break for a while indeed doesn't cause that much trouble.

Glad to read that you're feeling better. None the less, I was going to say that when we're dealing with an illness, it's important that our recovery takes priority over any sort of diet. The diet can always be continued once you're better, but in order to get better you have to fuel your body with a larger than usual amount of nutrients. Depending on the sickness, you could be losing nutrients at an alarming rate based upon how hard of a time you're having keeping them down, and that means the last thing you want to be doing is being on a restricted diet.

Recovery always comes first, and then weight loss.

Good to know that you're coming up strong and you will continue to be strong. With your previous question it still good that we still answer as least for the sake of others its better to suspend every routine until one get better it always check in with the experts to find out things before proceeding with other things that could affect ones wellbeing especially when sick. Please recuperate fully before indulging again in OMAD.

I agree, you should put the diet on hold when you don't feel well. That's what I do, when I'm feeling sick and weak, I give OMAD a miss. You have to remember that part of staying on OMAD is your will power, you also have to feel that you are not suffering on it. I know when I'm feeling ill I feel horrible so if I had to stay on a diet I probably would not be able to stay on the diet too long. In my opinion I think OMAD is a lifestyle , with a lifestyle you need to learn to be flexible.

It depends on the sickness, if I have some allergies, flu, tooth ache or any minor sickness I would continue on my OMAD diet but in cases of infections, and Fever, I would stop dieting and concentrate on getting well.

It depends on the sickness, if I have some allergies, flu, tooth ache or any minor sickness I would continue on my OMAD diet but in cases of infections, and Fever, I would stop dieting and concentrate on getting well.

This is much the same as my approach, too. I think some illnesses actually seem to respond better to OMAD than they would if I was eating a "regular" three meals a day. I think like anything it's important to listen to your body and take the cues from what it's telling you.

You need to get better first before you go to OMAD diet. Because your body needs an energy enable for you to get well.

I advise you to suspend the OMAD until you will feel better and well recovered, otherwise, you will harm your health. Just recover yourself and start over Omad after that.

I think this is the hardest question for OMAD, but for me, much better to stop the omad during that time and take care of your self.

As long as I am concerned, continuing with Omad while you are very sick is not the best way to go. You have to consider that you are taking drugs and some of those drugs requires that you eat well in order for them to work. So, if your condition ain't better yet, you can pause and continue later.

We have to understand that OMAD is a kind of diet that involves fasting for 20 hours or more. If you are sick and you need the continuous supply of nutrients to your body then it is imperative to quit OMAD for now. I am not an authority on the subject. My opinion is just my assessment of things based on what I have learned from this site.

Suspending Omad diet would be the best choose. Eating once a day while sick can worsen it. Also you need more energy in order to get better quickly. Just resume your diet when you are fully better just to be safe.

To be on the safe side, it will be best if you consult with your doctor. If you're taking medications then it's important that you eat meals and suspend OMAD at the meantime for your body to recuperate and gain the nutrients it needs.

Last edited:
This is an old thread, but I want to be the person who disagrees that a sick person should stop OMAD when they are sick. It depends on what is wrong with you, probably; but one of the things that we can observe in nature is that most all of the animals do not eat when they get sick. Many health experts also recommend fasting when you are sick, at least at first.
This gives your body time to concentrate on fighting off the virus (or whatever infection) without having to also try to take care of the whole digestion process.
When we are fasting, and burning ketones for fuel, our body makes one ketone (BHB) that actually supports the immune system.

Anytime that I have had the flu, or been very sick for some reason, I was not hungry until I started to recover, and I only drank liquids for a few days until I started getting better. Once I was feeling better, then my appetite returned.
There is no real reason that we have to eat just because we are sick. Our body burns fat when we are fasting, and it can do that whether we are well or sick, and it simply takes care of a lot of work the body doesn’t have to deal with if we are not eating.
I am a total believer that we should listen to our body if it is telling us not to eat.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/can-fasting-fight-the-flu-or-cold#section2

This is an old thread, but I want to be the person who disagrees that a sick person should stop OMAD when they are sick. It depends on what is wrong with you, probably; but one of the things that we can observe in nature is that most all of the animals do not eat when they get sick. Many health experts also recommend fasting when you are sick, at least at first.
This gives your body time to concentrate on fighting off the virus (or whatever infection) without having to also try to take care of the whole digestion process.
When we are fasting, and burning ketones for fuel, our body makes one ketone (BHB) that actually supports the immune system.

Anytime that I have had the flu, or been very sick for some reason, I was not hungry until I started to recover, and I only drank liquids for a few days until I started getting better. Once I was feeling better, then my appetite returned.
There is no real reason that we have to eat just because we are sick. Our body burns fat when we are fasting, and it can do that whether we are well or sick, and it simply takes care of a lot of work the body doesn’t have to deal with if we are not eating.
I am a total believer that we should listen to our body if it is telling us not to eat.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/can-fasting-fight-the-flu-or-cold#section2
I agree with you, but I have just one concern. In some African societies, parents will always encourage you to eat as much as possible because it has long been believed that "Food is the best cure for illnesses". Surprisingly, I have confirmed that maintaining normal eating habits even when an illness is causing appetite loss can actually speed up the

Status
Not open for further replies.