Omad Calories

I'm a bit confused. Do I or don't I have to eat a certain number of calories at my OMAD? I'm have trouble fitting them in my 1 hour window. I get full very quickly. Any advice would be great thanks

Hi Janet,

I think it depends on your goals but I'll start by saying a lot of folks don't necessarily count calories when doing OMAD. Others count things like carbs or look at their overall macros. While some make sure they are eating whole, real foods and not highly processed food.

Are you plant-based? If so, that may make it hard to get all the calories you'd like in one meal considering veggies and fruit are voluminous but low calorie so you end up getting full fast. At least, for me when I am eating plant-based I get full quickly like from a couple servings of roasted veggies and a couple apples. In that case, beans and grains may help.

I would say listen to your body. How long is your fasting window? Are you able to make it through it without feeling "true" hunger, dizziness, etc. I typically know I am eating enough because I don't get truly hungry until it's really close to my eating window.

Hi Janet,

I think it depends on your goals but I'll start by saying a lot of folks don't necessarily count calories when doing OMAD. Others count things like carbs or look at their overall macros. While some make sure they are eating whole, real foods and not highly processed food.

Are you plant-based? If so, that may make it hard to get all the calories you'd like in one meal considering veggies and fruit are voluminous but low calorie so you end up getting full fast. At least, for me when I am eating plant-based I get full quickly like from a couple servings of roasted veggies and a couple apples. In that case, beans and grains may help.

I would say listen to your body. How long is your fasting window? Are you able to make it through it without feeling "true" hunger, dizziness, etc. I typically know I am eating enough because I don't get truly hungry until it's really close to my eating window.

Thanks Mariela. My fasting window is 4 hours. Things are starting to get better with me. I was taking some medication before and I think thats what was causing me to feel much fuller faster. Since, I've been off the medication I have been better.

Thanks Mariela. My fasting window is 4 hours. Things are starting to get better with me. I was taking some medication before and I think thats what was causing me to feel much fuller faster. Since, I've been off the medication I have been better.

Don’t you mean your fasting window is 20 hours? Feasting window 4?

No calorie counting here. I just follow the 4 ones rule on the website and have always lost weight since I started.

I posted a thread a few minutes ago and right after came across your thread! I hear you- the stomach seemingly contracts during those 23 hours to the point that it only has enough space ( in my case) for about 500 calories. Now granted I have figured out that if my meal was 1000 or 600 or 800, I generally feel about the same level of hunger pain the following 23 hours so then, why worry since regardless of how many calories, it feels quite painful whether you ate 1000 or 500? I just not too comfortable with now eating only 500-600 calories because my stomach is contracting. Yikes!

I'm sort of new to OMAD and have only done a bit of research so far, but from what I have heard, if you are trying to lose weight then it might be better to eat less than the normal 2000 daily calorie intake that is recommended so you end up with a daily deficit, and because you only eat once a day it becomes a little easier to stick to it since you don't end up giving yourself cravings by spiking your system multiple times a day. I also have been getting full a lot quicker and I think it's due to the stomach not being as expansive as it once was when I was eating three meals a day and that helps a lot with it too. I have heard advice that it's not too important to focus too much on the small details as long as you eat one plate total per meal and not go too much beyond that, but I suppose if you need more specific or quicker results, it might be better to figure out a good system that suits you early on.

I calculated it based on my desired body weight and level of activity, so it varies from individual to individual depending on your target. Still, you can gradually decrease it so that you're body will get used to eating that amount of food in a short period of time.

Because of my body weight and the amount of activities I'm likely to do daily which I sometimes just anticipate I eat approximately 1200 calories averagely and it has been working fine for me,so you need to find your own way of figuring out the right calories for your body

For my height and weight I'm usually supposed to eat in the range of 1200 cals a day - but when doing OMAD I find that I don't need to eat that much in order to feel full and function well for the rest of the day. I think creating the deficit has helped in me losing the weight I have already.

Just follow the rules and not count the calories, you will see the results after one week, all that matters is to not give up.

The number of calories you intake during your eating window are going to vary depending on how much weight you want to lose. Typically, an average person needs a caloric deficit of about 500 calories a day in order to lose about a pound a week. But being that the weight loss effects are enhanced by OMAD'S impact on your metabolic rate, I think that the caloric deficit window can be slightly decreased.

In any case, for starters I'd recommend eating until you are content within your window, and see what progress you make. If you aren't making any or making too much then simply adjust accordingly.

In my opinion you can eat anything you like even junk food and fast food just be sure that you eat only once a day and the results would be relatively the same, you'll lose weight.

I agree if you can fast for 23 hours then you are good to go. You actually won't even feel hungry. I think there is only so much you can eat in one hour without throwing up, so automatically your calories will reduce you may not eat as much and ma end up eating half or less of the recommended daily intake of food. That's why I have cheat days and give my body a break. I also think unless you strictly monitor the amount you eat you can't eat like this forever. You can use OMAD to lose weight and maintain your weight.