I'm a type 2 diabetic, using OMAD and LCHF to lower my blood glucose

J

Justin

I'm a type 2 diabetic, using OMAD and LCHF to lower my blood glucose. 70 days and counting.....

J

Justin

The first 2 weeks sucked, I was used to blood glucose of 288 or greater. I had started Metformin (a diabetes drug) and was truly broken. Now I eat 1 meal a day (usually about 8:00 pm) and don't experience hunger until 6:00 pm the following day. Lost inches around my waist. I think clearer. I works for me.

J

Justin

Still on Metformin and yes, my FBG is now routinely less than 100.

J

Justin

My care team changed it to once a day when I told them I was intermittent fasting.

I am amazed by this discussion because from what I know, OMAD is difficult for a diabetic. Pardon me for not knowing type 2 diabetes specifically but my understanding is in dealing with the fluctuation of the blood sugar level. I understand that your meal is at 8pm to avoid hypoglycemia while you are asleep. With a stomach full of food when you sleep then you are safe and your FBS may even be normal. But your control of hunger is admirable since you can last the whole day without having breakfast.

My mother also has a type 2 Diabetes and I've heard about using diet instead of medication alone. She has been under maintenance for a long period of time now. Having said this, it's good that this was brought up because I want to learn more about this.

I want to ask what is LCHF? Im only doing OMAD these past months I heard lot of diet ways but this is my first time I heard this one. an wana know what is this.

I am amazed by this discussion because from what I know, OMAD is difficult for a diabetic. Pardon me for not knowing type 2 diabetes specifically but my understanding is in dealing with the fluctuation of the blood sugar level. I understand that your meal is at 8pm to avoid hypoglycemia while you are asleep. With a stomach full of food when you sleep then you are safe and your FBS may even be normal. But your control of hunger is admirable since you can last the whole day without having breakfast.

I want to ask what is LCHF? Im only doing OMAD these past months I heard lot of diet ways but this is my first time I heard this one. an wana know what is this.

Many diabetetics have been overcoming their illness simply by changing their eating habits, when they have type 2 diabetes, which is caused by over insulin production resulting in insulin resistance. In type 1 diabetes, the person does not manufacture enough insulin, so they need to take insulin to control blood sugar.
With type 2 diabetics, the base problem is eating too many high carb foods, causing insulin spikes, and then insulin resistance. giving this person even more insulin does not solve the problem, it only makes them even hungrier, and they crave more sugary foods, which in turn causes more insulin spikes.

The treatment that seems to be doing the most good is a low carb-high fat (LCHF) diet that greatly restricts carbs, and keeps the need for insulin at a much lower level.
Once the person has started this kind of a diet and is started to become fat-adapted for fuel, then they can start intermittent fasting, and the OMAD diet, and usually reverse their diabetes and their doctor can take them off of their medications once they are not needed anymore.

Here is an interesting article explaining about LCHF and diabetes, Type 2.
http://www.informationaboutdiabetes.com/lifestyle/lifestyle/the-lchf-diet-and-diabetes

Last edited:
There are lots of symptoms to share when you have Type 2 Diabetes. First, you are always thirsty. Second, you are perspiring a lot. Even if you move a little, there are buckets of perspiration already in your face. You observed you are peeing a lot, even if you are not drinking water a lot. You start to feel numbness on your feet and hands. This is because there is no free flowing in your veins for your blood to flow or your blood is thicken. Some have yeast infections. Some have wounds and they keep fresh, mainly because our blood has the role in fixing a skin damage, cuts or wounds, but since it gets thicken, it fails to do what it needs to do. Because of all the symptoms, you feel irritable. Everything is giving you discomfort that even leads to depression.