Going on holiday

Hi, I am a real fan of the OMAD lifestyle and have been following it now very successfully for a few months. I basically eat my main meal of the day between 1pm and 3pm which works really well for me when working from home, at the office or on business travel. I am going on holiday in a few months time, its an all in luxury diving holiday with breakfast, lunch and dinner included. We have been coming here for years and know the hotel staff really well. Whilst I already skip breakfast, I would really welcome inputs from others in terms of how best to manage as it feels really rude and a waste of money to refuse to eat lunch - its a great hotel we have been going for years and they do lots to accommodate my Vegan diet already, can one adapt to a very light lunch, sometimes this is just a consome soup or very light salad and then eat my mail meal in the evening for the duration of the holiday? Does this really mess up your digestion or do you just have to suck it up and adjust back to your normal routine when you return home. I would love to hear others experiences of this. Thank you.

I think that my main concern would be with your digestion when you eat outside the allotted time with which you've adapted to. Eating something when you're not used to eating can definitely cause some minor digestive issues.

I remember I was once watching a documentary about a Buddhist monk, and he had a similar issue at one point. If you didn't know, Buddhist monks basically do OMAD as well, since due to religious obligations they can only eat one meal before noon. Anyway, for whatever reason the monk had to eat something after his one meal due to some sort of medical study, and it turned out that his stomach had trouble digesting the food because he wasn't used to eating after a certain time. His body got so used to the schedule that eating anything out of time caused indigestion.

If you don't intend on sticking to your diet while on holiday, I'd possibly recommend lightly weaning yourself off the diet a couple of days before the vacation, eating regularly on holiday, and then going back to OMAD when you come back. I'm no doctor, but from what I've seen that would seem like the most logical approach to me, if you want to avoid some digestive discomfort while on vacation.

Personally, I don't really feel any problems with digestion when I eat "normally" on special occasions, and it would suck to keep on dieting when on a holiday. I think it would be fine but I'm basing this on my personal experience.

I think this is a great idea. Especially if you are on OMAD to lose weight the holiday is to practice your maintenance skills. A holiday means a break so it only follows you would take a break from your normal diet and routine. The best way I have found is to fast in the morning. Have your first meal after twelve. That way you end up eating less because you will have two meals. Also have as much protein as possible. Off course you can have a treat, however because you are not so hungry, you wont have a lot of it.

I think the body will need a readjustment again if you deviating a bit from.what it has been used to lately. I think one should gradually infuse the change, you might not reject the offers but you need to still dwell on low calories by taking in very little food at a time that way your digestion process wouldn't be far messed up and you will be able to till have your self in tune with your diet anytime you are back to OMAD

I think your body will be adjusting again with your timing if you'll change your routine. You will feel hungry on times you are not supposed to eat and you must reset again your body for the schedule of your meals.

Well, I think eating a reasonable amount won't hurt you, but just to be on the safe side don't eat too much because you're body has already adapted to OMAD and eating out of schedule might give you some digestive problems if you eat too much specially when eating hard to digest food.

I have a scheduled holiday coming up as well, and I plan to take a vacation from OMAD for the duration since it will only be two days. I did find someone giving advice that it's not a good idea to have two days straight of cheat days, so I'm a bit hesitant but at the same time, the same person also said that going back to this diet after some bad days should also not be discouraged since it does work and it's something that's not too difficult to get back into which is one of the supposed perks of it in the first place. I'm still finding my way since I'm still new to this, but I do think that taking a vacation from it can be alright as long as you get back to it as soon as you can and don't fall back into old habits.

Just try to return immediately to your diet once the event that makes you pass on it is over. Just don't let your body to remember eating a lot of foods again that is not necessary.

Don't yield to the temptations of eating too much as you are out for the holidays as that is going to thwart the great achievement that you have made over the times that you have been using Omad. You can make minor adjustments and take some fruits as lunch or meals that are not that heavy.

Well, I think eating a reasonable amount won't hurt you, but just to be on the safe side don't eat too much because you're body has already adapted to OMAD and eating out of schedule might give you some digestive problems if you eat too much specially when eating hard to digest food.

Eating too much is what I shouldn't advise the poster to do as well. One thing that our body desires is being committed to the goals we aim at. So, for me, taking a little ain't that bad.

Eating too much is what I shouldn't advise the poster to do as well. One thing that our body desires is being committed to the goals we aim at. So, for me, taking a little ain't that bad.[/QUOTE

Overindulgence in food can have serious consequences, moderation and healthy eating is always the best way of to go. But when you're doing OMAD your body must adapt and readapt to your eating preferences and this takes time.

Personally, I don't really feel any problems with digestion when I eat "normally" on special occasions, and it would suck to keep on dieting when on a holiday. I think it would be fine but I'm basing this on my personal experience.

I'm much on the same line of thinking at this. I think as long as people don't go completely off the deep end and start consuming a ridiculous amount of calories, then it's okay to embrace the holiday and the meals that come along with it. I think if you just get back on the horse once the vacation is done then it's a good lesson in management.

I'm much on the same line of thinking at this. I think as long as people don't go completely off the deep end and start consuming a ridiculous amount of calories, then it's okay to embrace the holiday and the meals that come along with it. I think if you just get back on the horse once the vacation is done then it's a good lesson in management.
Yeah. In addition, you don't always get to be on holiday and it sucks limiting yourself from enjoying every aspect of your vacation just because you're on a diet. A few days won't do much harm, I mean, before you started your diet you've been eating a lot your whole life, lol.

In my opinion, you can try the foods in small amounts so that it will compensate your diet. But of course it's better to enjoy your vacation without any limitations. You can always go back to diet anytime you like.

Basing from the period of time you've been practicing OMAD diet, I don't think you'll feel some sort of discomfort when you cheat on your holiday vacation. I was once doing OMAD at the same time period and whenever I go for a vacation on my province, I always eat 3 times a day which is totally a sin for a person who's doing OMAD. Fortunately, I didn't feel any discomfort at all and my I just came back to my diet after returning to the city.

We travel often and I didn’t think of that maybe because we did not travel this year. But last year we traveled to 7 places and we stayed in a hotel that comes with free breakfast. For the other meals, I don’t think it is wise not to eat lunch and dinner in order to sample the native foods in the place. Maybe I have to start my OMAD now so that when we go on a trip next year I will be fine and quit OMAD for a while.

We travel often and I didn’t think of that maybe because we did not travel this year. But last year we traveled to 7 places and we stayed in a hotel that comes with free breakfast. For the other meals, I don’t think it is wise not to eat lunch and dinner in order to sample the native foods in the place. Maybe I have to start my OMAD now so that when we go on a trip next year I will be fine and quit OMAD for a while.

For me it's best to travel after or before but not during your diet proper. Whenever I travel, I usually gain 2 pounds because I eat and taste a lot of the local cuisine. There's no sense of traveling and having a vacation if your constantly wary of your appetite right?

Break or holiday mean holiday with everything. You can relax and don't pressured yourself about anything else its your mind relaxition. You can also have a healthy meal during your holiday days.

Eating too much is what I shouldn't advise the poster to do as well. One thing that our body desires is being committed to the goals we aim at. So, for me, taking a little ain't that bad.
I agree with this sentiment. I think you can go on holiday and eat extra meals and still not binge. Personally, I do think that you can still binge, even, as long as you realize you'll have to go back to fasting once the vacation is over, but even then if you don't want to set yourself back too badly then you could instead just be more relaxed with your eating and just have an extra meal or two that is normal sized as it won't really hurt you that much.