Balut for protein

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have here the duck egg called balut which is semi fertilized with an embryo of the duck inside. It is a weird food that is a big challenge to foreigners. Balut is high in protein and fats that old folks say you should not eat more than 2 of that eggs for you might get an overdose of vitamins. I think balut is good for OMAD especially those who need proteins. You can add one or 2 balut eggs to your meal for more proteins and fats.

Oh, I've never tried this but my husband had Filipino friends growing up and they dared him to try it! It's not common here in my country but I heard it's quite a delicacy there. I imagine it's great for protein but I still don't think I could ever eat it!

Oh man, I’ve seen people eat balut on YouTube as a type of food challenge, and it was...interesting.

All I really have to say about it is, to each his own. There are plenty of foods I like that a lot of people would gag at (for example, I’m a huge fan of organ meats like liver, kidneys, heart, and brain) but balut is one of those things I can’t even look at, let alone consume.

I respect foreign cuisine and think it’s wonderful that our cultures have such varying delicacies, but I’ll be sticking to my unfertilized eggs.

I remember eating balut every night when I was a child. I like it most especially the liquid inside of it. They said that it will make your knees strong when you eat balut every day. As I grew older I only now eat one or two balut a month.

Balut is one of the exotic foods in the Philippines. My father loves this and even convinced me to try. Honestly, I like the soup and the yellow soft part because it's really tasty especially if you will add spicy vinegar. However, I really couldn't eat the baby chick. I tried it once because my dad said it's really healthy and rich in protein but I ended up vomiting, maybe I was overthinking that time. I still want to try it someday and it's a challenge that I want to surpass. For Omad, maybe you could eat one to two balut. It's very healthy.

Thanks for this great tip. I've never heard of Balut before. I would be super interested in this. In My Country we have ducks but I have never seen anyone eat their eggs. I wonder how they taste. Are they eggy or are they more mild. I hope they are more mild. I'm interested in cheap protein sources. For example I like to make m own tofu at home. I'm going to try and get this and look for a receipe. The beauty of discussion is that you get new ideas,amazing! If this works this will simplify my OMAD journey. Protein in my Country is very expensive.

I've tried balut many times. It's very delicious filipino delicacy. I like it dip with salt but some like it with vinegar. Balut is good source of proteins. It's very nutritious. Others don't like eating balut becuase of chick inside. But it is really good for me.

Probably the foods that we choose are going to depend on where we live and what we have available to eat. This kind of a duck egg is not something that is consumed here in the United States, at least as a general food item; but there is no reason not to keep on eating it when it is a popular food in whatever country a person lives.
As long as we are rolling the main rule of eating one meal per day, and hopefully eating healthy foods for that one meal, then the actual content of the food is not that critical. A protein food is a protein food, and we all need some protein in our diet.

I agree that we can include this in our meals while doing OMAD. Based on what I've read it has contents which help you metabolize energy. Back in our hometown, we have a dish called adobong balut. This is a delicacy and you may want to try it if you want variety in your dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.