Why do you burn more calories eating one meal a day?

Hi everyone, can someone explain to me why say you were eating 1500 cal a day (same foods) on omad regardless of what you're eating Style is (omad vs 3 meals per day,) and you burn the exact same amount of calories per day. Why you drop pounds much more easily with L mad? am assuming it is about your insulin levels only spiking once instead of throughout the day, but I don't understand how the calories still do not equally translate to pounds.

From my understanding , there is a difference between low calorie and omad.... and it has something to do with insulin spikes

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
Intermittent fasting forms such as omad, enhance hormone function to facilitate weight loss.
Lower insulin levels, higher growth hormone levels and increased amounts of norepinephrine all increase the breakdown of body fat and facilitate its use for energy. Fasting actually increases your metabolic rate by 3.6-14%, which helps you burn even more calories.

I also had this question before and the answer was the 20 hours of fasting. No matter what you eat and no matter how much you eat in that one meal in the day, the fasting period will definitely burn the calories that you had eaten. That is my understanding based on the discussions that I had came across this site. It is therefore important for the fasting of at least 20 hours and I guess a longer fasting period is better although I am not confident that I can do it.

@Corzhens I'm not too sure that you can also eat as much as you want, as from my experience it still also is helpful to eat what amounts to a caloric deficit if you are trying to lose weight. I suppose if you are only maintaining it may be okay to eat a bit more, but I've already tried doing a binge daily for my one meal and it didn't really help me lose weight at all. It wasn't until I got my meal size down after a few weeks that I found myself losing weight, although others' experiences may be different.

From the research I’ve done recently, it would seem that burning fat isn’t related to calories as much as it is to hormones.

Our bodies are pretty fantastic at adapting to different daily caloric intakes, which is why people who lose weight on low-calorie diets often gain it back after a while. If you eat 1,200 calories a day, your body starts to utilize those calories more efficiently, and 1,200 becomes the new standard. You might lose a decent amount of weight before the adjustment, but if you go back to a 2,000-calorie standard afterwards, you’re going to start packing on pounds again.

The idea isn’t to restrict caloric intake, but to restrict yourself from constantly telling your body to store fat. Every time you eat, and especially if you eat carb-heavy foods, your insulin spikes, which is essentially a signal for your body to start storing fat. If you’re eating 3 meals a day, and snacking in between (which many nutritionists sadly recommend), you’re basically keeping your body in a constant state of fat storage.

Eating once a day not only tells your body to use up what you’re putting into it, but depletes glycogen in your liver which results in your body turning to your own fat for fuel.