5 a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it still important to eat 5 pieces of fresh raw fruit and veg every day? Or is it not nessasary on OMAD?

I also read somewhere it's good to start your one meal with fruit, as it digests quicker, then have a heavey food meal after the fruit.

But it's hard to get 5 portions of raw fruit in the one meal time?

Personally I don't go that route of taking 5 portion of fruits daily though I have read about it online, I believe it too much to take for a day.I take a portion or two daily depending on the amount of food I will be taking later in the day because I'm a light eater so I don't stuff my self with too much food.So you watch it and trying your OMAD diet with less portion and see how it goes.

Well it highly depends on a person. If you don't like or you can't do it, then do not. I think it's better if you love what you're doing so that you'll be able to achieve your goal. Personally, I do not eat all of them only two or three.

I don't eat fruit much because I feel that most fruits have too much sugar in them and not enough vitamins, the exception being strawberries and red currant, which I'm currently eating because they're in season and abundant in my garden.

I don't know if five pieces of fresh vegetables is the ideal number, but I do know that I eat enough vegetables to get 100% of my RDV for every basic vitamin group. It's a bit of a hassle sometimes to calculate the nutritional value of the vegetables you have in your fridge, but I go out of my way to do so and make sure I'm getting the maximum amount of vitamins I need.

Believe me, it has made a world of difference when it comes to fighting fatigue and improving my overall health.

I agree @Denis P. I tend to eat fruit only during the weekend. During the week I have vegetables and here is where your 5 a day come in. I also only eat strawberries and avacado. In case I'm missing any vitamins I take a multi-vitamin. Fruit has too much sugar, which when eaten can spike your insulin levels.This makes you hungry all the time and certainly does not help when you are on OMAD. Actually I recommend you eat more then 5 vegetables a day.

You can eat anything you want that is healrhy, but I generally eat a balance diet with all the Food Groups, doing this would give me fewer cravings and I would feel fuller than eating just fruits.

I never read or heard anything about this but I have been doing this whenever I can, although I don't eat that much fruit but instead just what I am comfortable with. I mostly just ate it ahead of meals because I didn't want to end with them as it really is not what I like to end my meals with and given that this would be my only meal for the day I didn't want to ruin it. I did think there was some benefit to it such as helping with digestion and getting me full quicker so I don't have to rely as much on the less healthier stuff. In my opinion, I think some daily intake would be preferable but this diet really has a lot of room for adjustment so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you eat only small portions and keep your food as healthy as possible then you don't have to think too much and I think that's one of the great things about this diet.

I never read or heard anything about this but I have been doing this whenever I can, although I don't eat that much fruit but instead just what I am comfortable with. I mostly just ate it ahead of meals because I didn't want to end with them as it really is not what I like to end my meals with and given that this would be my only meal for the day I didn't want to ruin it. I did think there was some benefit to it such as helping with digestion and getting me full quicker so I don't have to rely as much on the less healthier stuff. In my opinion, I think some daily intake would be preferable but this diet really has a lot of room for adjustment so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you eat only small portions and keep your food as healthy as possible then you don't have to think too much and I think that's one of the great things about this diet.

I agree, the best diet is to eat a balance meal with all the food groups Incorporated in it. Eating less or more of a particular food group would result to an imbalance of vitamins and minerals. It's always best to eat a healthy balanced diet.

This is the first time I heard about this. There is a chart of good meal plan each day like most of it contain fruit and veggies but still it depends to you if you don't feel like to do that 5 raw fresh. You can find more option online. And try to check our dashboard you will see lot of tips. Of how to start Omad and what are the things are good while taking Omad.

I take a multivitamin as well, because the idea of taking in all of those fruits/vegetables in the space of one meal to me is just too much. I do definitely incorporate fruits and vegetables into my meals, but just couldn't stomach that much at one time.

I also have heard of eating fruits before taking your meal because that is healthier than making the fruits as your dessert. But I was brought up in the culture that fruits are eaten after the meal so I guess I’m just fine with it. And I agree that eating fruits is good for the body although you need not overdo it with 5 fruits. One piece of banana or mango is pretty good already especially if you drink fruit juice.

Eating fruits is always a good thing but eating five fruits a day when your doing OMAD ain't good. When in OMAD eating a single apple or banana is okay along with the different food groups.

I also have heard of eating fruits before taking your meal because that is healthier than making the fruits as your dessert. But I was brought up in the culture that fruits are eaten after the meal so I guess I’m just fine with it. And I agree that eating fruits is good for the body although you need not overdo it with 5 fruits. One piece of banana or mango is pretty good already especially if you drink fruit juice.
I eat my fruits before my meal because that way I'll fill up easier and won't have to eat as much of my regular food but I admit I also do that because I don't like fruits all that much and would rather not end my meals with them. I also heard somewhere that fruit juice isn't that healthy since the fiber we need off it has already been broken down too much although I'm not too sure about that since I never really looked into it much deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.