Morning hunger

I have been on OMAD for 16 days and initially I adjusted well to the protocol and had no problem waiting till 18:00 to eat OMAD. I eat non-processed foods and eat till I satisfied. I eat between 1500 and 3000 calories a day and drink when I'm thirsty. I have enjoyed steady weight loss which is my primary goal. However, the last two days I have woken hungry with a strong desire to eat and my preoccupation throughout the day is when I'm going to eat. I'm not that concerned about this but I would have thought I would felt like this in the first few days and not after day 15. Does anyone have any suggestions why I'm feeling hungry in the mornings?

Last edited:
Hello,

I wanted to chime in because the same thing happened to me last week for 2 days straights Wednesday and Thursday. I've been doing Omad since mid February and I normally eat my meals in the evening window of 5-8. I've never felt hungry upon waking or throughout the day prior to last week. Wednesday afternoon around 2ish I felt so hungry I thought I was delusional but by 4 I thought I needed some hard candy that I ate before I drove home. I got home and ate until I was satisfied...mind you I still felt as if I could have eaten more. Don't remember what I had. But Thursday, the same thing I felt hungry. I broke my fast at 2 pm with a grapefruit then waited until 6 to eat my meal. I ate until I was full like completely full. Friday was back to usual, no hunger pangs and I ate normal time. My takeaway is that my body wanted nourishment perhaps because I've been working out more or because I've been doing low carb. Honestly, not sure but I did not gain any weight and actually lost 2 pounds.

OMAD has taught me to listen to my body. I eat when I feel "true" hunger.

I try to stay as busy as possible. I usually do a morning exercise routine (cardio) or arrange to do something with friends/family. Biggest thing is to do something to keep your mind off it. It was hard in the beginning, but now that I'm adapted, I don't deal with hunger that much anymore.

I always go a for walk every morning. It's been something I have been doing since day 1 of omad. I even walk with a friend in my neighborhood everyday. It seems to really help.

I always go a for walk every morning. It's been something I have been doing since day 1 of omad. I even walk with a friend in my neighborhood everyday. It seems to really help.

I love walking as well. I also have a treadmill I use frequently.

I think every so often our mind reminds us that we usually eat at these times and this is part of the discipline process we go through as we make these changes. Keeping busy, working out, writing in a journal, blogging, and drinking a hot cup of green tea helps to get through these times.

I am doing omad for about 3 days now and i'm still having difficulty on complying with especially in the morning because i am experiencing heartburn immediately after i wake up in the morning which i think is due to the extreme accumulation of acid in my stomach. However, i accross with measures on how to deal with this matter which is to drink baking soda solution in order to neutralize the acid in my stomach then i drink a lot of water all throughout the day up until i have reached my meal time. I am very amazed that this greatly helps me in complying to the omad diet plan.

I always experience that morning hunger everytime I wake up in the morning. I think that is normal if you have eat less than usual before sleeping at night. So to avoid that be sure to eat enough at your dinner so will not experience this when wake up in the morning.

I experience this in my first 2-3 days as I started the OMAD journey and I just want to believe it our body trying to adjust to our new routine of course any routine that is new to the body will definitely need time for the body to really adapt to it.I eat enough the previous night and wake up the next still a bit okay and moving my mind totally from food to let my desire of not needing align with my action.just try to do other activities and get the desire totally off your mind.

Could it be that you ate something particular the evening before? I know in myself that if I ate something that possibly triggered my heartburn throughout the night, I will wake up in the morning feeling abnormally hungry. The same thing happens if I eat later than usual, but I think that goes back to the heartburn theory.

Certain foods also influence your metabolism differently so that might be another cause. If you're eating things that naturally might result in a faster metabolism, it could be that your body spent up its calories and now wants more in the morning.

If I'm feeling particularly strong hunger pangs in the morning, I just chug a big mug of water (at least a half-liter) and then drink some tea.

Well, not all side effects actually occur on the first few days. It's not like chili that when you put it'll be spicy afterwards. When you are dieting some after effects occur after a week or two. It actually happened to me before. Most of the side effects like being very hungry in the morning or even in the afternoon at 3 o'clock occurred after a week and a half and it did bother me a lot. I guess it's actually because you were very excited to lose the weight during the first few days so you couldn't feel the hunger because you're telling your brain not to seek for food but after the adjustment period your brain came back to it's natural way of thinking which is to seek for food because you weren't following it's natural schedule of food intake.

If you feel hunger in the morning you can drink tea this is what I did.At my first week on my diet, I feel the same being hungry every morning but I didn't tolerate it.Until my second week I don't get used to eat every morning and I didn't feel hunger anymore .

I feel everytime I woke up in the morning. I think the causes of this problem was the not enough you ate the night before you sleep. So everytime you sleep at night be sure you have eat well before sleeping.

Experts agree that it takes 21 days for you to learn a new habit, so I would keep going. I've been on OMAD since August last year and I still struggle. However my struggle is more towards the end of the day when I start to count down the hours to eating my meal. However you eventually get used to it all, just keep your mind positive and focused and you will stay on track. It really is true, that it all starts with the mind. I would also not recommend that you work out in the morning. Get your work out in just before you eat.

I usually take my meal in the afternoon, and I do feel the kind of hunger during the mornings but drinking water is usually enough, sometimes I drink milk and it will fix that feeling.

If you're eating at 6pm, then you really shouldn't be too hungry in the morning, I've tried eating Omad and I took my meals between 12pm and 3pm and at night I always drink ginger turmeric tea and water, in the morning I drink 2 cups of coffee and I don't get hungry. Try drinking 2 cups of black coffee.

I am currently skipping dinner now as my way of preparation for OMAD. If ever my body would acclimatize well and that I can skip breakfast then that is already full OMAD. However, breakfast seems to be still an important part of my day because I usually wake up with no appetite but after an hour or 2, my taste buds would be asking for food. When I tried to skip breakfast, I feel weak and sluggish until I had my lunch. I guess my body is not yet ready for OMAD but soon it will.

I have been feeling this a lot and I feel the same type of disappointment and worry because I felt more hunger after months of doing OMAD and thought I would have gotten used to it by then. I haven't really come up with any better solutions other than to just keep drinking water and moving up my meal time an hour earlier.

I also have that problem when I started dieting. Since I was accustomed to eating a hearty breakfast but when I started dieting my breakfast was reduced to 2 cups of coffee. But after a week I got used to it and the cravings waned. It's all about your determination of losing weight and being fit.

I am currently skipping dinner now as my way of preparation for OMAD. If ever my body would acclimatize well and that I can skip breakfast then that is already full OMAD. However, breakfast seems to be still an important part of my day because I usually wake up with no appetite but after an hour or 2, my taste buds would be asking for food. When I tried to skip breakfast, I feel weak and sluggish until I had my lunch. I guess my body is not yet ready for OMAD but soon it will.
Maybe you can just sneak into not eating breakfast, Corie. Since you are skipping dinner, you would be fasting good at night now, and should be starting to get your body into the rhythm of burning fat ketones.
What I do in the morning instead of eating, is just to have a cup of hot coffee with some heavy cream in it, because cream has very few carbs and plenty of healthy dairy fat to help you feel full and satisfied longer.
If you add a small bit of low carb food, then you would not need a full breakfast and would be fine until lunch. Maybe an avocado, or an egg cooked with butter. Just stay away from breads or fruits, or anything sweet, because that would add sugar.
When your body gets used to not having breakfast then you can drop that part and just have the cup of coffee with cream. That is what worked for me.
I was sure I needed to eat in the morning before I worked out at the fitness center, but when I read that it was better to exercise in the fasted state, I decided to try it, and I still had plenty of energy for swimming, if not more than when I ate.