caroveg's journal

I look at how I eat as a way of life, and not like a diet that HAS to be perfectly followed each day. To me, it is no different than my commitment to exercise each day. I do that almost every day, sometimes more, sometimes less, and sometimes not at all, when life intervenes.
It does not mean that I ruined it, because I didn’t exercise for a day, i just means that my life went differently that day.
My OMAD is the same kind of thing, it is something that I have committed to doing, but that does not mean that each day has to be perfect. Mostly, I eat low carb foods, and healthy meals; but sometimes a pizza and Diet Coke just “sneaks in there” anyway; but the next day, I am back to eating healthy foods again, and back on track.

@caroveg. I enjoy reading through your updates and thank you for doing this. I'm getting back into omad after being off of it for more than a year. I went through a lot of personal problems, but am ready to get back into it. Reading thru your posts have helped me.

I'm glad my posts have helped! That makes me happy. Good luck on your omad journey!

I look at how I eat as a way of life, and not like a diet that HAS to be perfectly followed each day. To me, it is no different than my commitment to exercise each day. I do that almost every day, sometimes more, sometimes less, and sometimes not at all, when life intervenes.
It does not mean that I ruined it, because I didn’t exercise for a day, i just means that my life went differently that day.
My OMAD is the same kind of thing, it is something that I have committed to doing, but that does not mean that each day has to be perfect. Mostly, I eat low carb foods, and healthy meals; but sometimes a pizza and Diet Coke just “sneaks in there” anyway; but the next day, I am back to eating healthy foods again, and back on track.
Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to adjust to a good mindset so I get back to omad when I hit hurdles, but I haven't been able to recently. I'm here to write some more, get inspiration and encouragement as I try to get back to it, so I appreciate your stopping by. :)

I haven't done well at all with omad but the one thing I have done well is stopped my spending on restaurants. I've definitely slowed the spending on them and have worked harder to eat grocery foods rather than restaurant foods. Not perfect, but definitely better.

I've had a rough couple of weeks, but in the scheme of things, life is still good for me and I'm blessed. What happened was my car was totaled by a drunk driver, the back wheel of my bike was stolen (along with grips and the seat), and my umbrella broke once it started raining. On the positive side, no one was hurt physically in the car wreck, I have a new umbrella, and I'm probably getting a new car tomorrow.

During this time period I gave myself free riegn to eat whenever I was hungry as I dealt with insurance, extra work at work, and walking and taking public transit everywhere. Now that life will be getting to be more manageable, I expect I'll be returning to omad. I'd like to make it a consistent habit and I know I can do it! Especially during the weekdays if I get home at a reasonable hour.

You are back here, and working on OMAD again, and that is the part that is important, @caroveg . Life throws all of us unexpected curves at times, and we all just have to do the best we can to survive through those times, whatever it takes.

With all that you had going on in your life recently, it seems like worrying about not eating was not something that would be high on anyone’s list at that point.
This is basically what I was trying to explain abut myself, and looking at OMAD as a lifestyle change and not a temporary diet to lose weight. Even on days when I have more than one meal, or the one meal is not healthy foods, getting back on track again is always my goal and plan.

I am happy to be back here. I am back to fasting and it's not too hard. Some days the mentality of not eating during the day (because I have my omad at night, for dinner) is more difficult than physically doing it. I think it'll eventually become a habit. I am going to try to eat healther omad now that I am getting back into this habit. Right now I have a lot of food at home so that's good -- I avoid restaurant food which is expensive and have a lot of variety to choose from. I think tonight I'll have another Buddha Bowl, which is one of my favorites. I've noticed since eating omad that I am pickier about what I eat than I used to be. Now if I eat I want it to be very tasty and nutritious and food I especially like. I am also going to try to swim tonight if I have time. Hopefully I won't be too full from my meal that I can't swim properly. I really love swimming.

I love swimming, too, @caroveg ! It is something that I can do and it is exercise and something that I love doing , all at the same time. With my Medicare advantage plan, we have a Silver Sneakers membership, and it works at our local fitness center, which has a nice swimming pool.
My husband likes to exercise with weights, and while he is doing that, I am swimming.

I did go swimming last night and it was really fun! It's the first physical activity I've gotten in quite a while, but I did have enough energy for it. I had Subway's for dinner because I was running errands beforehand so I didn't have time to go home and make something cheaper (and healthier). Tonight I plan on having my omad at home. I will probably have a Buddha Bowl.

I've swum the last 3 nights I think. It's been fun except last night I lost my goggles and it was very hard to swim without them. I ended up buying new swim goggles.

I've also done omad the last 3 days, but I'm not today for 2 good reasons: today is Bagel Thursday and my work will be doing a chocolate making class this evening. So no omad for today and maybe not for tomorrow. Tomorrow I am attending a lunch for my work and so I'll eat there also, but since I don't know what will be served, I don't know if I want to make it my one meal of the day. I'm vegetarian so we'll see what happens there. Basically, I'm not counting these two days but plan to go back to omad on Saturday, when I have more control of my schedule.

I doubt I'll swim tonight just because I'll probably get home late. But I can pick it back up and swim tomorrow evening after work and after dinner, if I have dinner.

I'm going to take a long-term view of this and just try to be consistent with omad when I can. For instance, other Bagel Thursdays I can resist the bagels, but since I'm not able to get a decent dinner in tonight, I thought I'd have some bagels at least, which I did.

Life is good and I'm happy that I have 3 solid days of omad down. Looking forward to more in the future.

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to take a long-term view of this and just try to be consistent with omad when I can.

VERY important way of thinking. I can't stress this enough. Most of the long-term failures of the omad diet come from inconsistencies. Most of the time, many people are not even aware of it. It can be even the simplest of things, but it can make a big difference in your results.

Swimming is my favorite thing, too, @caroveg . It is relaxing and exercising all at the same time, and just something that I really enjoy and look forward to doing each day.
We have a Silver Sneakers membership with our Medicare advantage plan, so we go to the fitness center almost every day.
My husband exercises and lifts weights, and I swim and do water exercises.