Hi from North Queensland, Australia!

I'm Alex, 47 year old male, 6'2" and overweight.

I am on day 32 today and I have really been enjoying the simplicity of OMAD. I used to cook for a living so I have been having big cook-ups of healthy meals with plenty of good fats etc and filling our freezer with good sized portions. My wife and two children still at home enjoy the ease of choosing a meal and heating it and quite often all 4 of us will be eating different meals, variety is important.

I have used intermittent fasting in the past but with no real long term protocols. I have fasted for 6 days, more often 3-4 though but i would eventually have a binge and quickly see the weight return.

July last year I had a motorbike accident and fractured my spine, the months of convalescing while laying in a recliner chair watching Netflix and soothing my pain and boredom with food saw my weight peak at 149.8 kg (320 pounds) and I just felt terrible. I returned to work at this weight and being on my feet all day instructing high school students in wood and metalwork felt like it was going to kill me.
I was finding movement so difficult and I could see how this could be a tipping point and I'd end up not being able to work, compounding the issues of lethargy and ending up a 500 pound behemoth.

I had never actually heard about OMAD, I just started a fast and told my wife that I only intended to eat dinner. It was after my 1st week that I searched "eating one meal a day" and came across the acronym and realised it was something of a weight loss phenomenon.

Anyway, 32 days in and 14 kg (31 pounds) down and not a cheat meal eaten or any food outside of my strict 6-7pm window.

Best wishes to everyone else who has found this very workable weight loss/management plan.

By the way, I take some prescription medicines during the day which state they must be taken with food. They make me quite nauseous on an empty stomach. I take two teaspoons of a granulated fibre called Normafibe with a glass of water. This fibre contains no calories but does swell with water and has an added effect of an appetite suppressant, not the reason I use it but a bonus nonetheless!

Jimmy Swartz

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Alexius! I am very happy that you have found us here on the forums. We are very happy to have you here. Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your motorbike accident and happy to hear that you are ok. I think you will find the Omad Diet to be just what you are looking for in terms of your goals. Be sure to checkout the many articles I have written in this guide. I think you will find many of them helpful. https://omaddiet.com/omad-diet-guide/. Please be sure to keep us updated!

Alexius. Very inspiring. Glad you're ok after the crash. I raced for many years and was down 6-months once and gained 35ish. Back then I lost the weight by starving myself. My buddies asked how I did it so I just told them you have to be hungry at all times. It was brutal, that's the H.A.A.T. diet, not healthy.

This may sound stupid but can't you take the medicine somewhere close to your eating time? I still mountain bike and am sometimes out there for as much as (eight) hours. I drink Tailwind, it is liquid healthy food and has 250-cal per bottle. I'm cheating but burning more than I consume, that's how I justify it. I'll look into the fiber thing, keep it up.

Alexius. Very inspiring. Glad you're ok after the crash. I raced for many years and was down 6-months once and gained 35ish. Back then I lost the weight by starving myself. My buddies asked how I did it so I just told them you have to be hungry at all times. It was brutal, that's the H.A.A.T. diet, not healthy.

This may sound stupid but can't you take the medicine somewhere close to your eating time? I still mountain bike and am sometimes out there for as much as (eight) hours. I drink Tailwind, it is liquid healthy food and has 250-cal per bottle. I'm cheating but burning more than I consume, that's how I justify it. I'll look into the fiber thing, keep it up.
Thanks for the encouragement Jimbowho, I take medication 3 times a day. Pretty safe to say most western doctors expect people to be eating the standard 3 meals a day. I am starting to do some light weights and will get on the treadmill once I am within it's safe working load! Best wishes with your own health, Al

Thanks for the encouragement Jimbowho, I take medication 3 times a day. Pretty safe to say most western doctors expect people to be eating the standard 3 meals a day. I am starting to do some light weights and will get on the treadmill once I am within it's safe working load! Best wishes with your own health, Al

Meds 3-times a day without food sounds tuff on empty, hope you figure it out. I am NOT affiliated with tailwind but you might read up on it. If you do look into it, I think the benefit would be so the pill has something to chew on with very minimal omad cheating. "I like Berry flavor" also I found low weights and a lot of reps suited me just fine especially when just starting out. Luck.

One of the things that works best for me is water exercise, @Alexius . Since I don’t have to worry about losing my balance in the water (if I do, I just make a big splash !) , and it is easier for me to move around, and I love to swim; that is my main exercise.
It is hard for me to walk for long periods, and I would guess that might be an issue for you as well, but doing the “robot walk” in water works just great for me.